Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
circ
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:01 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi im getting slated by other people saying that downloading etc Half life and Proppeler Area is illegal.

Am i wrong to think it is legal? Can someone explain please the history of it on how it is Legal.

Thanks

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:09 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi,

Well all I can say really is it isn't exactly legal. As they were never officially released for the Dreamcast people (officially) shouldn't be downloading them. It's not like the PBA, Half-life and propeller arena were released intentionally to the internet by the companies so in effect it is illegal to download them as you are not paying for the use of the software.

On the other side of the coin however, as the games were never officially released, what else can you do? Especially with PA as it was never released on any platform at all, and as it seems unlikely that it will ever be released I really can't see how anybody is doing any harm by downloading it. As for PBA and Half-life I guess if you wanted to feel comfortable with yourself you could get the PC versions, that way I can see nothing wrong with downloading them..after all how else are you gonna play them on the best console in the world Wink

But from a legal standpoint I think you will find it is illegal Crying or Very sad But I really wouldn't let that worry you.

Cheers, Craig

PS: Why am I posting so much at the moment, I usually remain fairy quite..lol..oh well hope im not banging on too much Razz

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:51 am
quote : #3
Propeller Arena wasnt released by a company to the internet. It was released by 2 people. It was never officially released in any shape on any platform, so no one looses money off of it.

No one knows where Half-Life came from originally, though the gd-roms have made there way around and been ripped by many people, so there are many different rips of it now. I look at it like, you should only download this one if you on the original on PC or PS2.
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:08 pm
quote : #4
from a legal standpoint it probalbly is illegal, but i doubt anything would happen to you if you downloaded them. unless of course you started a large overseas production factory and sold the games on ebay Twisted Evil
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:53 pm
quote : #5
yea i got both pa and half-life for dc they kick ass and whats is the diffrence between half-life and half-life gold ive been seeing

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:10 pm
quote : #6
If memory serves, Half Life Gold is the Echlon rip of Half Life. They wanted to make there rip look special, so they titled it "Gold". There is no difference in the game itself.
rank 11
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:12 pm
quote : #7
oh ok then i just got the normal half-life good thing u told me to cause i was going to dl the gold ver if its the same i wont bother

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:48 pm
quote : #8
Is there really a difference in either build version or title sequence between "Half Life for Dreamcast" and "Half Life Gold?" If so, what are the real differences? I have "Half Life," which loads to the title screen without any of the regular "ADX" or "Sofdec" title screens. Mine doesn't have any sort of Echelon screen either.

I've played completely through both Half Life and Blue Shift, and my copy isn't buggy or glitchy at all, except for one small instance where a guard who died and fell of a ledge floated up slowly instead of down. I was never able to recreate that glitch either. Other than that, my copy plays perfectly and isn't laggy or glitchy.

If there are different build versions, is there a way to tell them apart? Is there a different file name that's readable in a PC or something?

Just curious.

How are my little crackers doing today?
dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:29 pm
quote : #9
^ There is no difference between the games other than the "Echlon Rip" Has the Echlon credits when you turn it on.

Echlon just took the version that was leaked by some unknown party, added there name to the start up credits thing, and put up a torrent of it.
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:01 pm
quote : #10
kingofgrills wrote:

If there are different build versions, is there a way to tell them apart? Is there a different file name that's readable in a PC or something?

Just curious.

There is. I was trying to start up the training mode of HL and it crashed and gave me some screen with the version #. I took pictures
of it.

Let me find those pics.

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:16 pm:

Here are those pics:

According to this, I have build 1672 burned on may 22,2001.