1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 11:07 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The infamous Propeller Arena: Aviation Battle Championship has actually made it into gamer's hands including myself. I'm here to give everyone the full lowdown on PA's interaction with the internet. The game originally was to be online for broadband and dialup, as well as feature mic support. For those who don't know already this game was cut short due to Sega fearing players would reinact the tragic events of 9-11 while online.

Thought never to be seen or played again, the game has been leaked. The copy that I have and that is floating around is the FULL game, nothing was ripped from the game so what your getting is the entire game in 1005 working order.

Here is a full rundown on my findings with Propeller Arena's online functions:

PA was developed by AM2, and was set to be integrated into Sega Net, and thus uses the Sega SNAP network package for its online abilities. Basically were looking at the same exact situation as Outtrigger, which was also produced by AM2. Thus Propeller Arena will for all purposes, never be able to play over the internet. (Nokia now owns Sega SNAP)

There is an option for uploading Training Data. However this was merely to be uploaded to the PA website to participate in rankings. So no ghost vs ghost or anything is capable here with PA.

What does work is the browser, which can only be accessed via modem, it is not BBA compatible. What alos is available is a tool for configuring your BBA, which does come in handy. It is the same tool that comes with Outtrigger, so for those needing a BBA configuration tool this will be usefull to people.

And now onto something that will probobly enrage many of you, as I know it does seriously tick me off. The question remains where did Propeller Arena's master servers exist? At what location? Well already we have described many similarities in the handling of Propeller Arena and Outtrigger.

Below is where OT's servers were location:
Outtrigger (JP) outtrigger.kage.isao.net
Outtrigger (US) kage-bootstrap.dreamcast.com

Below is where PA's servers were location:
Propeller Arena (JP) propeller.kage.isao.net
Propeller Arena (US) kage-bootstrap.dreamcast.com

If Propeller Arena had been released a lot sooner, we might have been able to actually play this game online. Same exact server locations as Outtrigger. Unfortunatly now we will never be able to play this game online unless someone completly reverse engineered sega snap middleware. Which in all honestly people, is impossible.

Well I hope people start aquiring this game over the next few months and possibly hooking up with some friends for some split screen action.

Note: I revealed no game details so as to not spoil the gaming experience for those first booting it up.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Mon May 10, 2004 11:18 pm
quote : #2
where can get it
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 3:07 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
If Propeller Arena had been released a lot sooner, we might have been able to actually play this game online.

enraged? im beyond that. curling into a little girlie-ball and weaping like a war widow is more accurate.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
frokid879
rank 21
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 6:50 am
quote : #4
they shouldve just got rid of the tower city level and released it Confused
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 10:07 am
quote : #5
i dont have it yet, but i agree with frokid.

i think the game was already done before 9-11 and sega could not backtrack so they shelved it.??
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 12:35 pm
quote : #6
Why didn't Sega modify the game and release it for X-Box, PS2, or Gamecube?

I find it hard to believe that AM2 and Sega would just sit on this game and concept after 9/11 without trying to modify and release it at some point. At least in Half-Life's case, it had been out on PC for a few years, and the PS2 version was in development while Valve worked on the DC version. Propeller Arena only had the Dreamcast, so all that development work and expense was shelved.

At least we can finally experience it now! Razz

How are my little crackers doing today?
sk8terj88
rank 1
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 1:54 pm
quote : #7
SWEETNESS
where can i get it??! Very Happy
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 2:56 pm
quote : #8
buy it from service games to support the dudes that got it out (it costed them lots of $$) or u can find it on the net. trust me, its not hidden at all LOL its everywhere
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 3:02 pm
quote : #9
how much is it, servicegames?
hey youre on the sega message boards too arent you?
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 3:15 pm
quote : #10
i found this interesting: http://www.sega-rd2.com/propeller/
the main site might still be there but without permission to access (o:

Last edited by frokid879 on Tue May 11, 2004 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 3:16 pm
quote : #11
To buy it from servicegames, refer to the post thread titled "Propeller Arena Donation Information." The instructions are in the very first posting.

It's $20 including shipping, and you'll receive the labelled disc in a case with front and back cover art. He accepts payments via PayPal, and in a recent post said he will ship copies out tomorrow to those who have donated.

I can't wait!

Posted Tue May 11, 2004 1:28 pm:

Does Propeller Arena have any Link Cable options?

I assume not, but F355 Challenge, which is another AM2 game, has both online and link modes, so I thought it was worth asking.

That would bring the linked game tally up to 4, I think. That's quite a huge selection. Rolling Eyes

aflyingcow
rank 15
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 4:01 pm
quote : #12
Oh sweeeetness. Can't wait to get my hands on this baby!! Linky to his site/paypal thingy?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 4:21 pm
quote : #13
For those interested on purchasing a copy with full cover art and case from Service Games please visit the following thread:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1647

I advise emailing him or sending him a PM to find out if he is still taking orders. He is in a fit about it getting released to the internet even though numerious gamers still want to express their support. Ask him about it before donating the money to verify he is indeed still taking orders.

Posted Tue May 11, 2004 5:22 pm:

LOL just noticed kingofgrills also posted some info on what I said too, so yea same thign kingofgrills is referring to in his therad up above Smile
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 4:56 pm
quote : #14
Sheesh! I was just scanning Ebay and found Propeller Arena - all over the place!

Some worm is listing a copy at a limited time offer of $49.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8105148833&rd=1

Absolutely revolting...

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2004 6:15 pm
quote : #15
kingofgrills wrote:
Sheesh! I was just scanning Ebay and found Propeller Arena - all over the place!

Some worm is listing a copy at a limited time offer of $49.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8105148833&rd=1

Absolutely revolting...

I reported this as illegal copyright infringement to eBay. Anyone who wishes to do the same should do so, reporting the item id number in the email: Follow this URL and click on email:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/results.html?tier0=report_listing.html&tier1=1&tier2=2&con tinueButton=Continue+%3E&contactUsJSFilename=report_listing.js&contactTitle=Report+a+listing+policy+ violation+or+prohibited+%28banned%29+item

If this link for whatever reason isn't working then go here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

(Note: eBay sure does make it difficult to find a link to report an item. Fucking rediculious.)