Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
TTS
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I think thats because that would be the amount of people who actualy understand what they would be talking about. I would send a letter, but because of the simpleton that I am, I wouldn't realy know what I'm talking about.
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:16 pm
quote : #17
TTS wrote:
I think thats because that would be the amount of people who actualy understand what they would be talking about. I would send a letter, but because of the simpleton that I am, I wouldn't realy know what I'm talking about.

What's hard to grasp?
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:54 pm
quote : #18
Nikon, what's the ending date for sending you the letters? Have you tried to post this petition of help at more other forums?

Unerd_01
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:03 pm
quote : #19
Type: PAL
NIkon has spotted something that really gives all of us that arent technically competent a chance to help in the further re-establishment of DC online. All we have to do is draft a short letter and hope for the best. If anyone requires any help please feel free to PM your draft. I'm pretty handy with a pen (can read and write at least lol) so would be glad to give a few pointers (presuming you don't mind Nikon?)

Good luck getting those letters done!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:48 pm
quote : #20
Type: NTSC-U/C
josemci wrote:
Nikon, what's the ending date for sending you the letters? Have you tried to post this petition of help at more other forums?

I don't have a specific end date yet, but it will get to a point where I will send out the thing regardless of how many people turn in letters.

This is not a petition.

I do not feel that random spamming at other message boards is necessary at all. It would actually hurt this project. OnlineConsoles has been around for over 2 years now. Most of the people interested in Dreamcast Online are already here, or check this website frequently. Spamming info on other boards only results in people sending in letters who have NO IDEA what this is for, or what this represents.

This is the same reason this is not a petition. I feel conveying true to the heart thoughts on the matter would be the most productive. Rather than a bunch of mindless sentances from gamers who don't even know what worms world party is, or what the Dreamcast's online capabilities are.

Unerd_01 wrote:
If anyone requires any help please feel free to PM your draft. I'm pretty handy with a pen (can read and write at least lol) so would be glad to give a few pointers (presuming you don't mind Nikon?)

Nah I don't mind at all, go for it. Wink
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:49 pm
quote : #21
I never played any worms games, but that is exactly what I told them. And about the amount of people that are writing in... I don't think these two parties are going to be swayed by 10 out of a couple billion people on this planet that want their game back online so WRITE SOME LETTERS YOU LAYABOUTS!!! seriously Neutral
...look around and ask yourself if there's anyone better qualified...at that point in time. If...'yes,' ask them to accept command, and do everything you can... If...'no,' ...then take your best shot. That's all any of us can do.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:36 pm
quote : #22
nintendo_DS wrote:
I never played any worms games, but that is exactly what I told them. And about the amount of people that are writing in... I don't think these two parties are going to be swayed by 10 out of a couple billion people on this planet that want their game back online so WRITE SOME LETTERS YOU LAYABOUTS!!! seriously Neutral

Yea it doesn't really matter if you havnt played the game yet. It really matters if you "get" what this is all about. Which is what i was trying to get at in my reply above.

But I also want to say that, 10 letters probobly will have a better impact than 200 signitures. Which is why I am not having this be a petition.

My goal is to get 20-30 letters. Thanks to everyone who has sent letters in so far. Anyone who still needs to, work on it in your spare time, and get it off at your earliest convenience. Thanks.
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:04 am
quote : #23
Type: NTSC-U
sent my email today.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:56 am
quote : #24
Type: Pal
I am working on mine today Smile along with some other well overdue stuff.

Im gonna talk babble now but I'll do it anyway in case its useful. As WWP was coded on Wince could the game be redirected to a working server like Max pool was?. Has anyone checked out the save for the same information?. My point being what if just like Q3 Pal Sega shut the login server but the actual WWP server is still up and running just like some Pal servers. Maybe then if we could somehow find out the WWP server address we could re-direct to it. I will now stop talking crap and going off topic.

Laters
Posted:
Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:30 am
quote : #25
Maximum Pool is the only game that uses the VMU save like an ini file to store data. I have already read threads from Team 17 that have stated the DC version is not compatible with the PC version of WWP.

I could try and redirect the game, as I have a setup currently to do so. However, odds are nothing will happen and it will error out. I still can't tell if WWP ran on snap, team17 code, or what. I logged some packets from wwp and its straight up weird to say the least. I have a hard time identifying anything of any relevance from the packets and its unlike any packets I have logged from a DC online game, currently online or not.
Posted:
Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:40 am
quote : #26
I'll try to get some more people to send in a letter. I think the problem most people probably have with this is that, while it's a very noble gesture, it's kind of an unrealistic goal.

As harsh as this may sound, letter petitions like this one have a lot more impact when it has to do with a small company who will be getting money out of the deal, rather than to release the software out of the kindness of their hearts.

A handful of companies are now releasing the sourcecode to their intellectual properties to the public (some with more lenient source code licenses than others), but the bitter truth is that most companies are still more interested in their bottom line than satisfying a small fraction of their fanbase.

That being said, I did send in a letter for this, and I will support it however I can. I'd like to see this succeed, but I think you are reaching a little too high on this one.

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:28 am
quote : #27
Type: Pal
Ok intersting. I asume the games normal online route was Dial-login server-game server. All the information on the game disk itself would only give the IP of the login server and then the login server would redirect to the game server (Well my theory anyway). So if the game can be redirected as you said if we knew the IP of the game server then it would be possible to try connecting to it directly. Where we would get the game server IP from is the difficult bit. I asume also the game would error out anyway if it hadnt come through the login server, who knows. Theroy based on nothing but what I consider my common sense.

Laters

lordnikon wrote:
Maximum Pool is the only game that uses the VMU save like an ini file to store data. I have already read threads from Team 17 that have stated the DC version is not compatible with the PC version of WWP.

I could try and redirect the game, as I have a setup currently to do so. However, odds are nothing will happen and it will error out. I still can't tell if WWP ran on snap, team17 code, or what. I logged some packets from wwp and its straight up weird to say the least. I have a hard time identifying anything of any relevance from the packets and its unlike any packets I have logged from a DC online game, currently online or not.
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:09 pm
quote : #28
By the way sent my letter, how many do you have now nikon? Very Happy

Last edited by hebe on Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:27 pm
quote : #29
8 letters
Posted:
Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:00 pm
quote : #30
ok im gonna write my letter right now. you should post this in the Dreamcast union at Gamespot.