Topic: some ???'s

Page 1 of 1
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:05 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Ok, why is it DC games must be burned with Neiro, Alcohol 120%, or Disc Juggler? Will I need the Utopia Boot disc? And, do they need to be burned on CD-R's versus the RW? If so, why is that? Also I found something really neat, a downloadable version of the DC's bios. I plan on getting that and seeing what can be done with it. Also, with PSO, would it be possible to hex edit the game itself and change the IP's to the European server? If so, could this possibly be done with other titles such as the ones that used SNAP?

U-235[/i]

ced818
rank 3
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:22 am
quote : #2
I can answer like 2 questions.

DC games must be burned witih Nero, Discjuggler or Alcohol because I believe these are the only programs that can burn the CDI and NRG images.

and as for CD-r vs RW. I dont think the dreamcast reads these disk.
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:40 am
quote : #3
1) That is the format of image the games are ripped in. When made as images for DJ and Nero, they can be made self-boot by the people who rip them. This takes the strain off of the person burning them.

2) All of the unreleased games are selfboot, so you will not need the utopia boot disc.

3) CD-R

4) The Bios are usless unless you need them for Chankasta

5) I believe the NTSC and the PAL servers are compleately different and incompatable.

6) Where would you direct the SNAP games to go? With out the SNAP software, you cant create new servers for the games, and Nokia owns the SNAP technology, so you cant get it.

Please read the FAQ at the top of the Dreamcast Lounge.
rank 30
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:25 pm
quote : #4
however, about the question regarding CD-R's and CD-RW's. Dremacast's made before October 2000 are able to read the CD-R's. To use the CD-RW's, you must adjust the perennial, thats the laser, to read it. However, in the process, you can no longer play real dreamcast games or CD-R's, only CDRW's
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:00 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
Chile wrote:
however, about the question regarding CD-R's and CD-RW's. Dremacast's made before October 2000 are able to read the CD-R's. To use the CD-RW's, you must adjust the perennial, thats the laser, to read it. However, in the process, you can no longer play real dreamcast games or CD-R's, only CDRW's

But why even bother when CDRs are cheaper?

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:34 pm
quote : #6
this may have inadvertently answered a thing thats puzzled me for a while, i think i may have been using cdrw's to do some games way back, would this effect the machine? because they very rarely worked back then and some of my dreamcasts kept going wrong, maybe using the cdrw's made the dc not work with normal games after a while. sounds like i may finally know why soo many of my dcs were going wrong.
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:02 pm
quote : #7
Einhander wrote:
Chile wrote:

well, because you can save cd's if you fuck up the burning, or are tired of the game and you can just erase it and put a new one on the disc.
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:20 pm
quote : #8
Ok, I have tons of cd-r's. Ok, so SNAP technology essentially works like this from what I gather. You connect with a game and it redirects ip's onto one of the users isp, eliminating the need for a massive server with hoards of software and people eating up bandwith? That would certainly explain nokia's interest in the technology then for the ngage. Question is, why sell the technology as a whole when you can market the software and keep rights and royalties? I guess SEGA thought they couldn't turn a profit with it, but they still make online capable games. Also, that explains part of why the DC's modem seems so fast. Or is it just a kickass modem?

U-235

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:43 am
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Chile wrote:
Einhander wrote:
Chile wrote:

well, because you can save cd's if you fuck up the burning, or are tired of the game and you can just erase it and put a new one on the disc.

but you can get a blank cd-r for peanuts these days so theres no point in cdrw you'd be better off gettin a memory stick/pen.