Page 4 of 6
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:25 am
quote : #46
profile : pm
Le Spank wrote:
anyone care to explain what's going on here?

*awaits avec baited breath*

LOL kinda my thoughts as well. The threads funny and something bigs apparently happening but, for me at least, you might as well be talking in binary (that's not an invitation for you to, though). Are you guys setting up something with the DC>PC connections? Am I an idiot? Big sloppy wet kiss Rolling Eyes hehe that's definately a quotable.
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:26 am
quote : #47
Type: NTSC-U/C
Le Spank wrote:
anyone care to explain what's going on here?

*awaits avec baited breath*

For starters me and Dreamcast ™ finally are on the same level about what Line Voltage Inducers do.

Then Dreamcast ™ figured out what was wrong with the PC-DC server method with windows. And now all game functions for every Dreamcast online game work perfectly now over the OC-DC server using windows 98. Where as before it did not. There was a crucial part missing! Which Dreamcast ™ figured out Very Happy

Now that this has been resolved, I can now finally log packets for The Next Tetris Online Edition, and PBA Bowling 2001 and get them sent off. Which means within a few weeks you guys will get to play these games online.

Plus it means a definative COMPLETE windows 98 PC-DC server setup guide with 100% compatability will be up soon. meaning that any user will be able to get it setup if they have windows 98, and the right modem.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:28 am:

Dreamcast ™ wrote:
It's amazing that the inclusion of 4 extra characters had this much of a far-reaching effect over all of this.

But, do you have any ports forwarded or anything within Winroute? It just locked up on me for some reason with the default DNS and won't give me the master when on 0.0.0.0. I think you might have fixed the master server problem! Very Happy

Actually I have the same DNS that are coming up on my PC, entered into the Dreamcast. I do not have it set to 0.0.0.0

I was able to reach the master list and retrieve and resolve all the servers listed. My Dreamcast did not freeze.

Very strange that your Dreamcast froze. Hmmm.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:29 am
quote : #48
Yes, but remember that there is a difference between Simulator and the "Inductor" I've shown here. For what it's worth (both price-wise and hassle-wise) it's best just to do the line swap. Even with a simulator, you still have to swap I think, though I may be mistaken.

That could be simplified with the swith I talked about. The real point of the simulator is to completely sever the need for a live telephone company owned line.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:30 am
quote : #49
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Yes, but remember that there is a difference between Simulator and the "Inductor" I've shown here. For what it's worth (both price-wise and hassle-wise) it's best just to do the line swap. Even with a simulator, you still have to swap I think, though I may be mistaken.

That could be simplified with the swith I talked about. The real point of the simulator is to completely sever the need for a live telephone company owned line.

I think your frankenstein switch is actually the most novel idea to solving the swap issue. Wink
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 am
quote : #50
lordnikon wrote:

Now that this has been resolved, I can now finally log packets for The Next Tetris Online Edition, and PBA Bowling 2001 and get them sent off. Which means within a few weeks you guys will get to play these games online.

Plus it means a definative COMPLETE windows 98 PC-DC server setup guide with 100% compatability will be up soon. meaning that any user will be able to get it setup if they have windows 98, and the right modem.

I summary it means this???

1. The Next Tetris Online Edition back online
2. PBA Bowling back online
3. "Windows PD-DC server setup" Does this mean connecting the dreamcast to the internet through a PC via broadband connection or does it mean setting up servers for games like QuakeIII?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:01 am
quote : #51
- Hopefully.
- Hopefully.
- It means that you can route your DC's modem connection over to your broadband connection.

Nikon, are you behind a router or anything, or just straight into your cable/dsl modem? I've tried every DNS I have both locally and the ones my router draws from the internet.

Do you have anything forwarded or anything? How did you leave your Dreamcast settings? AT&F or AT&F0?

Thanks. If I can't figure it out this way, I'll just go ahead and start logging packets and taking a look around. I've been using Ethereal. Any one you recommended?

- Dreamcast ™

Htbaa
rank 6
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:05 am
quote : #52
Come on guys, give us updates. What's going to happen next? Finally a good guide?

http://www.pcc-online.net
PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:11 am
quote : #53
lordnikon wrote:

I figured out what is wrong with next tetris. Now that I have finally been able to log the packets. What is happening is the game goes to log into peerchat, which is gamespy's chat system and is what all gamespy games use for chat communication. It is basically just like IRC only modified. The thing is, Next Tetris was deactivated at gamespy. So here is what is happening in the packets:

Next Tetris allows you to log into gamespy.
Game then tries to connect to peerchat.
It reaches peer chat and logs you onto the IRC server
it logs into #TNT (stands for...The Next Tetris)
Then the IRC server automatically bans you, saying "access denied".
The game sits there sitting at the connect screen, and won't let you return to any other menu unless you hit disconnect on the dialup server menu on the PC.

Is this IRC server public? We could try to connect to it and check whats going on.
I would like to check it out, Next Tetris is the US online tetris, right?
Using my linux box I can easily re-route it to a private irc server and then check what happen...

What give me creeps nowadays is thinking about when gamespy shutdown all this stuff...maybe should we try to emulate them ASAP?

BTW, looks like Next Tetris was released on PC too! Maybe we should try to get it!

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:20 am
quote : #54
i hate to be a bug but what do the pings look like compaired to the normal dialup connection on q3a and 4x4 evo???. im just cuious cause i see ping times in 4x4 evo at 200-400 on a normal dialup connection, and pings on q3a hovering around 200 on a normal dialup connection on the dreamcast

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:33 am
quote : #55
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
More importantly. This would also allow users to connect to a new Q3 Master list with all the Spain Dream Arena Q3 servers listed as fixed servers. Wink

if ur going to do that this will be one happy monkey (finaly i'll be able to play quake online WITH PEOPLE at a decent speed!!!)
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:37 am
quote : #56
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
- Hopefully.
- Hopefully.
- It means that you can route your DC's modem connection over to your broadband connection.

Nikon, are you behind a router or anything, or just straight into your cable/dsl modem? I've tried every DNS I have both locally and the ones my router draws from the internet.

Do you have anything forwarded or anything? How did you leave your Dreamcast settings? AT&F or AT&F0?

Thanks. If I can't figure it out this way, I'll just go ahead and start logging packets and taking a look around. I've been using Ethereal. Any one you recommended?

- Dreamcast ™

Yes I am behind a router. That is strange that it is still freezing up for you. Not sure what the solution is. I have my DC set to AT&F0. The packet logger I use is commview

Htbaa wrote:
Come on guys, give us updates.

Chill. Out.
Htbaa wrote:
What's going to happen next? Finally a good guide?

Yes a 100% working guide for windows 98. Which means more gamers will be able to get online who just don't have access to a dialup account.

PrOfUnD Darkness wrote:
Is this IRC server public? We could try to connect to it and check whats going on.
I would like to check it out, Next Tetris is the US online tetris, right?
Using my linux box I can easily re-route it to a private irc server and then check what happen...

What give me creeps nowadays is thinking about when gamespy shutdown all this stuff...maybe should we try to emulate them ASAP?

BTW, looks like Next Tetris was released on PC too! Maybe we should try to get it!

The Next Tetris Online Edition was a DC only release. There was a PC version released over a YEAR before the DC release with the title "The Next Tetris", however it is very different than the DC version.

Do not even worry about any of this stuff. I am taking care of it. The software is already being emulated. Just don't even worry about it. I am on top of this. I already have Starlancer working on an independent master list, which a contact I have been working with programmed. It can be speculated that the other games will work as well. Also you can't just "re-route" tetris to another irc server. It has to jump through a series of hoops and onto a different port.

Please be patient. I have been working with someone for the past 10 months on this stuff. It will get sorted out and I will have information as soon as it is available. Thank you.

maddmaxx wrote:
i hate to be a bug but what do the pings look like compaired to the normal dialup connection on q3a and 4x4 evo???. im just cuious cause i see ping times in 4x4 evo at 200-400 on a normal dialup connection, and pings on q3a hovering around 200 on a normal dialup connection on the dreamcast

As far as Quake 3 Arena, I have played before with 3 other people, and played for a few HOURS this morning with registered user gRimGrAvY014. The game runs at or around a good dialup speed. The best thing that can be said about it, is that it is consistant. The gameplay still has shotlag. However it is very consistant and you usually have a green bar.

I have not actually tested vs play in 4x4 Evo or Starlancer yet. As I myself and Dreamcast TM just connected this morning. Remember these games require port mapping in winroute. Quake 3 doesn't because the dedicated servers handle the rest. The users are just clients.
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:11 pm
quote : #57
I can't say I have really even noticed all this work going on until now...lol...really should keep a better eye out on the boards...I might have even been able to help out, although time has been a bit short of late anyway Sad

Anyway, good work....certainyl great that you are managing to get this working between the two of you...keep going... Laughing

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:11 pm
quote : #58
I just found something really odd.

With the PW 2.0 browser, when I change my DNS settings, it seems fine, right? Well, when I go back into change them, it takes off the last number of the address?

So, 192.168.0.5 equals 192.168.0.0. I think that's what's happening here and why it can't ever resolve the DNS.

I'm going to try a different browser like PW 3.0 or 2.6 later.

Anyone else have this problem?

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:13 pm:

For anyone interested, I highly recommended PW 3.0. It's much faster than 2.0!

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:33 am:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Issues: Ports

Alright, I've been hammering away at this all night and finally came up with the fix: redirect every incoming packet back to the dreamcast by forwarding every port to the dreamcast. I can now finally connect with a regular DNS address, but Starlancer is another story.

Without the correct port-mapping, I was able to successfully connect to the server list, or so I thought. For whatever reason, I could connect, but as with Q3, could not see the actual master list. Forwarding the recommended ports here:

Fallout: wrote:

Name------Dialtone needet? --- Portmapping
PSO----------No----40975 -TO- 41743 , if you get kicked try to forward all ports if problem still exist search elswhere :] firewall ect
F355---------YES---Not Needet-------- Need blind dial settings or it will not connect
Starlancer--YES--6500, 47624,... ---test by yourself , i couldn't force it to connect. use a traffic analyse programm to find the ports
Quake3A----???---29760 ???---------I don't own the us version , so i never could try it
MaxPool-----???----?Server ports!----My dc don't work cannot test the game , try to forward the ports that the server uses
4x4evo-------YES-----??????------------I had trouble connection , yust connected sometimes with all ports forwarded

So I used ports 6500 and 47624, but again, it didn't fix everything. Fortunately, I was able to see a hosted game so I knew that I was connecting properly (or at least thought that at the moment.)

So I head into the game, but where is the other player? For some reason, maddmaxx could see me, but I could not see him. Also, our connections went straight down the toilet. We'd start off in the green then eventually go red. After a while, it would tell me that he left the game when he really didn't.

All of these problems still persist even though I forward every single port (1-65535) to the Dreamcast's IP. I wish I had another copy of the game so I could do my own testing and see what's going on but there are only two copies on eBay for a little more than I want to pay and I can't rip a game for the life of me, it seems. (Anyone who knows how to do this properly, a PM would be greatly appreciated.)

So far, this is my "list" for port forwarding:

• Maximum Pool: No need for port forwarding. Connected without a problem.
  • Quake III : No need for port forwarding. Connected without a problem.
  • 4x4: No need for port forwarding (Haven't been able to play against anyone though.)

As for the first list where it says "dialtone needed," the only one that requires the line swap trick is Quake III. Everything else can blind dial properly.

I'm going to go through with a packet logging/sniffing utility and get the real story on what's going on behind the scenes so for those of you who can't have a PC entirely dedicated as a PC/DC server can have the appropriate ports open instead of forwarding all of them.

I think it's all just a problem with WinRoute. If it wasn't for it being able to DCHP (which I'm still not 100% it does, but is needed for multiple dreamcast connections.) I'd have already found an alternative. I recommend Proxy + for multiple reasons, but it's nowhere near as easy to get started with as WinRoute is. Plus, Proxy plus hasn't made a successful Quake III master list connection either, so I don't know.

I even switched routers with a little more luck (or so I think.)

And another note... there is something wrong with PW 2.0 or at least my copy. It decides to truncate the DNS address for whatever reason. Use anything else and you should be fine, though I've only tried and confirmed PW 3.0.

- Dreamcast ™

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:22 am:

And, getting back on topic, if this tells you anything about the leniency of the ratings, my 'CC' style inducter is running off of a 1 MFD electrolytic capactior, 330 ohms, and a 12 V transformer.

I'm pretty sure that if you found a transformer in the junk bin somewhere with a low enough amperage, you wouldn't even need a resistor. The resistor drops it down to about .02/.05 amps or 30-50 mA (milli-amps).

So a transformer with an output voltage of 9V - 12V DC and a current rating of .02/.05 A or 30-50 mA (milli-amps) all you need is the transformer, telephone cord, and capacitor.

If it's a junk one from something that doesn't work anymore, you can just cut the ends off of it and attach it directly, or you can get special adapters at Radio Shack. They also sell transformers, but they're hella expensive. (Usually in the $20 range)

- Dreamcast ™

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 pm
quote : #59
Dreamcast tm, from what I understand (and I can be wrong), the phone generate the tone signal when receives a 90V 20 Hz signal. Maybe we could use a transformer to output 90v from a 110/120v 60Hz signal?

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:13 pm
quote : #60
Type: PAL
Quote:
As for the first list where it says "dialtone needed," the only one that requires the line swap trick is Quake III. Everything else can blind dial properly.

You use the blind dial option of planetweb 2.0 right ??

I don't own pw 2.0 and canot find it on the net . I used dreamkey 3 and the dk3 blind dial option , wich dont
work very good . Games that need normaly a dial tone before they even try to connect would not connect
only with the dk3 method , like f355

Does anyone have a copy of pw2.0 ??? Im looking now for 1 yeahr for one ....[/list]