Page 5 of 6
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:04 pm
quote : #61
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
In theory, yes, but what you hear when you pick up the phone is more than just X amount of volts. Actually, the voltage is closer to 40V I believe, but once you pick up the receiver, the voltage drops to 12V. What happens next is within the telephone company's main box, there is an array of sophisticated circuity responsible for generating the tone and relaying it to all the different homes. For just one line, though, like what we're doing, it's much simpler. Same basic theory, but on a smaller more streamlined fashion since it only must perform one function.

From what I understand, the tone is made up of two different frequencies. These frequencies are generated by a device called an oscillator. In its simpliest form, an oscillator is just a vibrating crystal in most cases. You can find then in watches and on your motherboard for the RTC and super I/O controller (sometimes).

Don't think though that you can just run the X amount of volts through two oscillators and get the tone. Unfortunately, that's just half the battle. If you had an oscilliscope and were to look at the wave being produced, it would be an awful mess. You would need capacitors to smooth out the waveform in the wave and act as filters.

If there is one noteable piece information I can give as of right now, it's that it seems some modems NEED the actual voltage/current from the telephone line to be emulated damn near verbatim.

NOTE!

I tried to connect with my dual port inducter today which runs on all of the "suggested" parts from the first schematic. What I found is that the modem won't connect unless I up the 9V to 12V and have that lower capacitor to get the current to the same levels. Be careful though! As of now, only use the parts I recommend if you don't have, or aren't familar with how a DMM works.

Modems are very sensitive to surges/spikes and if you exceed the expected current, you'll toast your PC and DC modems for sure! Many people blame there being too much voltage, but current is the real killer. Remember, voltage is directly proportional to current.

Fallout, I'll send you a PM.

PC/DC PORTS:

I have no idea what's going on here. Only the Gamespy games won't connect properly. You can get as far as the lobby, and you can chat and set up games fine, but when someone tries to join, it either locks up or denies their request. I've forwarded every port imaginable with no luck. This has really got me stumped.

Luckily I was somehow able to get the Q3 list. I think it was just being able to finally put in the DNS correctly with PW 3.0, but wait... there's another problem.

BROWSERS THAT WON'T WORK

Well, they'll work, but it's way more work that it's worth. I thought I was doing pretty good with the PW 3.0 browser. I reset my DNS to the right addresses and set everything properly, but then when I went to save, it took me to a page that told me it could not display the html or the page could not be found. It's an obvious glitch in the software since I've had the same problem multiple times on multiple machine. But there is a way around it.

Step one...

Use PW 2.0 to input the information.

Step two...

Use PW 3.0 to identify that 2.0 did indeed truncate the last part of the address. Make appropriate changes and then save.

Too much disk swapping for my liking when it should work the first time on either disk without all of this extra nonsense.

- Dreamcast

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:16 am
quote : #62
So, yesterday I tried to play a 4-player game on PSO, using my beta DC<->PC linux distro and I got weird results.
There were a lot of Dreamcast around, so I tried each one, about 3 connected fine but there were 4 that I couldnt make it connect to my PC!
I remember reading there are a different "versions" of the Dreamcast modem and some didn't work with the DC<->PC setup, is that the case? So, with those that didn't work, I need to get them a phone tone like Quake III needs, or Dreamcast TM's line simulator (9v on the line) fixes it?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:19 am
quote : #63
You need the voltage inducter for it to work, but are you sure it was the Dreamcasts and not the modems in your computer? Actually, I think it can be both, but check to see if any of the modems were hardware modems.

- Dreamcast ™

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:00 am
quote : #64
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
You need the voltage inducter for it to work, but are you sure it was the Dreamcasts and not the modems in your computer? Actually, I think it can be both, but check to see if any of the modems were hardware modems.

- Dreamcast ™

Yes, I tested each PC modem connecting my Dreamcast on them. But there were another DCs that I couldn't make connect to them.
So, that voltage inducer you posted on another thread will solve this? I'll build one right now.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:12 am
quote : #65
Yeah, hopefully it will.

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:04 pm
quote : #66
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Yeah, hopefully it will.

I need the voltage inducter connected between the DC/PC all the time, or just for the DC modem start dialing and then I can disconnect it?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:30 pm
quote : #67
The whole time.

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:49 am
quote : #68
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
The whole time.

Sad

At least I can use a 9v AC adaptor, right? I have some Genesis/Game Gear 9v AC adaptors I could use.

PD

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:09 am
quote : #69
Just hold for a minute with everything... we may have some serious problems to deal with.

- Dreamcast

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:10 am
quote : #70
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
Just hold for a minute with everything... we may have some serious problems to deal with.

- Dreamcast

So, do you have any news about the warning above?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:37 am
quote : #71
It might turn out to be nothing, but don't use a variable transformer unless you have some means of constantly checking it (buy a cheap voltage/current meter from your local electronics store and attach it).

My variable transformer had blown out and I didn't even know it. As you know, the specifications call for at most, 30/50mA @ approx. 9V. Well, when my transformer went bad, it put out 17V at 1300 mA ! That's about 45 X the recommended amount of current. Luckily nothing went bad because of the resistor, or so I hope. The one I was using knocked it down to about 300 mA which was then only 10 X as much, but still potentially lethal none the less.

So, if you're going to use a variable, or just regular static voltage/current transformer, do yourself and your equipment a favor and invest in one of these.

Have you been able to get Quake III to work with the linux setup yet, or does the game ever lock up? For me, it seemed that when I adjusted the amount of current able to pass, the game had a better success rate connecting than it does with higher currents. This may be because this is the only game that requires the line swap trick, but who knows.

- Dreamcast ™

maddmaxx
rank 11
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:44 pm
quote : #72
i wonder if that was the reason u had a ping in the thousands on 4x4 evo . usualy u have a ping of 300-500

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:08 am
quote : #73
It could be. The inductor may cause corruption over the line, thus resulting in packet loss and the need for the DC/ master server to resend the same packet multiple times.

I'm going to try the new setup over a 56K hardware modem, and also like Nikon uses, a USB modem. Just anything to eliminate the need for a voltage inductor.

Just the thought of hooking a 9V battery up to your DC modem doesn't sound like a good idea. Very Happy

PrOfUnD Darkness
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #74
But Dreamcast TM. There are some Dreamcast's modems that don't work when plugged to a PC hardware modem, right? In this case the voltade inducer will solve this problem?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:40 pm
quote : #75
Yes, it should. I still haven't come across a modem that hasn't worked without a voltage inductor though. I wish I had though so I could take a look at the physical differences in their hardware composition.

You have one don't you? Would you be willing to open up a known working one that doesn't need the inducter, and the one you think does, and take some pictures of the inside. Either that, or let me know if there is any difference at all.

Also, make sure you try them on the same modem to determine whether it's the PC modem's fault or the Dreamcast's

- Dreamcast ™