Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:48 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Hi, I recently just got a cd-burner so I can play some of the great unreleased Dreamcast games. Regardless, I was looking through the posts and I couldn't find how to find a copy of Propeller Arena. Where can I get this? Also, is there any decent emulators out there for the Dreamcast? Just out of curiousity, I know I posted this question before, but with playing the CD-Rs... I know there is slight damage which is unnoticiable, but is this damage continuous? Or is it like a one and done thing?

Thanks,

Stonefreeze

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:54 am
quote : #2
Type: Pal
http://www.dcemulation.com
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:05 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I think I posted in your thread before about where to find the games you were looking for. Here is Propeller Arena. Again, you'll need a client application that can handle torrents.

As for emulation, what are you talking about? An application to emulate the Dreamcast system on your PC, or emulators that will run on the DC, like SNES, NES, Genesis? If it's the former, then at this time, it is not yet possible. If it is the latter, then, like Blast recommended, go to DC Emulation. They have entire forum dedicated to emulation and how to properly play other games on the Dreamcast with guides for configuring and burning.

And finally, imagine that the laser in the GD-ROM unit is either one or both of your eyes. If you spend all day reading really small font or looking at/reading things in poorly lit/dark rooms, you put a lot of strain on your eyes and that can eventually lead to ruptured blood vessels and a few other medical problems. If you don't fix the problem, then it can only get worse. The same's true for the Dreamcast. The data is layed out on a burned CD is not packaged as closely together as is the data on a GD-ROM. While the damage done is not like what I was talking about with your eyes, it's still present and could pose a problem later on down the road.

Just remember to burn at low speeds. Usually 12x / 16x is a good speed. I have trouble buring at anything lower so just stay in that general area and you shouldn't have any problems. As I think I also mentioned in your other thread, I've been playing a lot of Propeller Arena and haven't had any problems. I'm still on my first DC too. Just take care of it and it'll take care of the rest. Wink

- Dreamcast ™

dwachill
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:36 am
quote : #4
It is possable to emulate the DC on a PC. Use Chankasta. Its a bitch to set up, and a System Memory Whore, and you have to search the world for the DC bios, but it is possable.
rank 39
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:43 am
quote : #5
Cool, thanks for the information. I'll have to look into that.

- Dreamcast ™

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:18 am
quote : #6
Hey thanks everyone. I really wanted to play some of Propeller Arena. It looks like such an awesome game. After that, I think it'll be time to play some Half-Life!

Thanks,

Stonefreeze

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm
quote : #7
I haven't really found that simply playing any CD-R on a Dreamcast has been proven to damage the Dreamcast laser assembly. After all, the Dreamcast is equipped from the start (most of them, anyway) to play MIL CDs. I've done it for a few years now with my DC, and I haven't experienced any ill effects. Now, having said that I think you could encounter a poorly copied CD-R that could become an issue with extensive use.

I've used my Bleemcast!, Gameshark, Half-Life, and Propeller Arena CD-Rs for quite some time, and I have never experienced a read error or overheating problem with them. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but my DC has remained error free now for going on four years now. I'm sure my experience probably wouldn't match everyone's here, but I don't think limited use of CD-Rs is anything to worry about.

How are my little crackers doing today?
SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:39 pm
quote : #8
Might I suggest going to www.dcemu.co.uk ? The downloads there are very up to date, and the people in their forums are pretty decent. Wraggster (dcemu.co.uk webmaster) does a fine job of keeping the place in line.

Also, if your new to Dreamcast homebrew stuff, you might want to make a stop by http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/ and read up on what Selfboot Inducer is and how to use it, and also download yourself a few sbi files. Their repository of sbi's is impressive to say the least....afterall, they are the people who made sbi. Laughing
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:11 am
quote : #9
Is there a way to play they hunger on the dc

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:39 am
quote : #10
Never heard of it...

/me googles They Hunger

LOL

Interesting...looks like a really nice Quake 1 era FPS..... Sadly, it appears the answer is no. However, this website URL might interest you. http://www.dchomebrew.org/dchbported.shtml
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:38 pm
quote : #11
They Hunger is the best half-life mod ever
Its a thousand times better then counter strike

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:41 pm
quote : #12
Well, since it's a mod, you might be in luck considering that Half Life for the Dreamcast was leaked a little ago. You should be able to make the necessary changes a whole easier than if you had to port a game that wasn't native to the Dreamcast enviroment. Still, the Dreamcast uses PVR so that might pose a problem if you must edit the levels beyond applying new textures.

- Dreamcast ™

SoldierBlade
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:29 pm
quote : #13
Didnt realise it was a HL mod. As far as I know, mods for PC HL arent compatible with DC HL, and there no doubt have been attempts. Same goes for Q3 mods.
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:19 pm
quote : #14
QIIIA DC mods ARE possable. Just really hard to do i'm told.
rank 14
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:54 pm
quote : #15
I see, thats very interesting. Too bad there arent enough able knowleged people interested enough in doing them to have a few publicly available. I think this is a common problem with DC homebrew stuff. There simply arent enough people interested in coding for the DC. Not nearly as many as there are for the xbox, psp, and even the gamepark 32. Take emulation for instance... Even the gameboy advance has a full speed emulator for running NEC PC Engine roms....while in our wonderfull dreamcast scene we do good to get a half-assed SDL port of an open source emulator designed to run on x86 pc's (HU-GO!), that has no gui to speak of, huge graphical flaws, and from what i've witnessed first hand, cant do much better than 75% of full speed. And the ONE guy who was "sorta" interested in doing that stopped messing with it because "the source is in such a mess". Go figure.....