is there ever going to be a saturn emulator for the dc

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:08 am
quote : #2
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
The Saturn had eight separate processors all running together in order to run the system. Two Hitachi CPUs, an SCU, two VDPs, and a Motorola and Yamaha sound processors working together.

This makes the Saturn very difficult to emulate, as a lot of different variables have to be taken into effect. Generally, it's been said that in order for a system to be emulated, the system it's on has to be at least five times more powerful. Since the Saturn had two SH2s, both clocked at 28.6MHz, even counting a single processor a system would have to be at least 143MHz according to that theory.

However, it's not an exact science, and taking into account the complexities of having eight separate processors working at the same time means that Saturn Emulation on the DC (even at the DC's beefy 200MHz) is now (and probably forever will be) extremely slow.

Emulating eight chips at once is difficult, so difficult in fact that even Saturn EMUs for the PC are rickety at best.

It sucks, because even though Saturn's are extremely cheap nowadays, they can still be a bitch to find. Getting ahold of the physical system is your best bet for playing Saturn games. if you've already got a Saturn, and just want to play the games on another system or make them look better/play faster, you're sol.

Next-gen systems running at 3.2GHz a piece with multiple cores should hopefully allow emulation of older, more complex systems such as the Saturn by pushing through with sheer horsepower, but we won't know until the homebrew guys get their hands on next-gen technology.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:23 am
quote : #3
Most likely, no. There's been a lot of speculation and rumors, but nothing has since materialized except for Yabause which is supposed to have something to do with Saturn emulation on the DC, but I don't know much about it.

I heard Sega was working on an emulator for the DC right before they all jumped ship and left the Dreamcast to drown.

You'd think someone would have come up with at least a 1/2 decent emulator given the fact that the Saturn ran on 2 SH2s. They were both RISC. I guess the real drawback is a platform to develop the needed software on. For a good dev enviroment, your best bet would be the PC, but that would mean getting the games to run on a PC's native x86 architecture then converting that yet again back to a useable SH4 architecture.

I'm also sure that between the time of the SH2 and the SH4, there were a lot of major revisions that would amplify the work needed to be done, tenfold.

Just buy a Saturn. They're cheap enough now. Very Happy

[ EDIT ] Was finally able to post, but it looks like Einhander beat me to the punch, Wink

- Dreamcast

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:48 am
quote : #4
Last time I checked, even with my pretty top notch PC Saturn emulation was not going far. There are a few PC emulators like Giri Giri, Satourne etc. but they are shockingly hard to use and unreliable.

The Saturn is one of the most complex consoles in terms of hardware there ever has been and for that reason I am pretty sure we'll never see a working emulator for it on the Dreamcast.

Please, someone make me eat my own words. Mr. Green

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:11 am
quote : #5
Le Spank wrote:
Last time I checked, even with my pretty top notch PC Saturn emulation was not going far. There are a few PC emulators like Giri Giri, Satourne etc. but they are shockingly hard to use and unreliable.

The Saturn is one of the most complex consoles in terms of hardware there ever has been and for that reason I am pretty sure we'll never see a working emulator for it on the Dreamcast.

You pretty much just gave a Cliff's Note's version of my post.

Dreamcast wrote:
I heard Sega was working on an emulator for the DC right before they all jumped ship and left the Dreamcast to drown.

I had heard something along those lines as well, but only a scintillating scrap of info even hinting at it's conception. Who knows, with the "Dreamcast on a chip" technology from months ago getting a DC compressed to the size of a potato chip, maybe someday another console will have Saturn or Dreamcast functionality built in via hardware. If the tech was small enough and cheap enough, It would be an excellen addition to a home console or powerful handheld device.

Or maybe as a PC add-in card? Well, that wouldn't really work unless you somehow were able to get your hands on a GD-ROM drive.

Well, we can dream, I suppose.

Dreamcast wrote:
Just buy a Saturn. They're cheap enough now.

Excellent advice.

TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:48 pm
quote : #6
what do u mean dreamcast on a chip?

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm
quote : #7
The Dreamcast on a Chip:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1667467,00.asp

I just want to see if anyone ever tries to use that technology for DC gaming in the future.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:18 pm
quote : #8
do u think they would sell like super dc with that technology

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:37 am
quote : #9
The thing should have shipped already in Japan, can anyone confirm this? It's always cool to have underdog consoles and stuff. Very Happy
rank 18
Posted:
Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am
quote : #10
I saw a Saturn emulator for DC with 19 roms on Bearshare. It's like 700mb, so there's no way I can download it.
Posted:
Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:18 pm
quote : #11
There does exist one Saturn emulator... I haven't tried it, but from what I read it still has some flaws.
Posted:
Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:55 pm
quote : #12
I don't know whether this really adds anything but SEGA did 'port' a small number of Saturn games over to the Dreamcast as part of their Smash Pack series - I can only really remember Virtua Cop 2 being on there though Smile

Bearing in mind that SEGA did originally intend to include Saturn emulation on Dreamcast - but then abandoned it - probably gives a good indicator as to how time-intensive the project was. One option that might work is to get hold of one of the Saturn development kits and try and hack it. I think it was pretty much PC-based so this might work.

dodginess

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:49 am
quote : #13
I read about the whole Saturn Emulation on the DC. Aparrently, this cannot be as hard as everyone thinks since Virtual Cop was ported to the DC... has anyone contacted Sega about their involvement with their Saturn emulation plans on the DC?

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:54 am
quote : #14
Type: PAL
key word "PORTED"
unknown
Posted:
Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:05 pm
quote : #15
Key word, ported, yes. But apparently, they have the tools to do it.