Page Location: Home > VS Link Games > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:41 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I have been spending the last few days working on my web archive. Almost every website I have come across, even the mainstream e-zines, got all uppity whining and complaining that Virtual On wasn't online in the US. Internet journalism really is at the bottom of the barrel. I just don't get why they don't look up their facts to give an accurate analysis of the situation.

VOOT was online in Japan over KDDI, which used DWANGO, a direct dial based switch board service. A lot of very early online games in japan used this. Where you would direct dial to a specific phone number to gain access to the games online features, and were then automatically billed to your phone bill. It's sort of like a souped up version of x-band or netlink in a way.

Its just crazy how nobody took this into account, and instead saw fit to just whine and complain.

There was no way this could have worked in the US at the time. In Japan it worked fine, but in the US...no way. I do not understand what stopped anyone at the time from putting this into perspective. The only thing I can think of is the low standards for internet journalism, which lend people to add more commentary than fact checking.

EDIT: I guess my main point for posting this was to also bring awareness to stuff like this happening today. When gaming news sites and editorials only look at whats on the surface.
Posted:
Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:24 pm
quote : #2
That's basicly the problem with the internet. Everybody echos each other in which way loads of faulty
information gets flooded all over the world. Like the vs cable link up mode in SNK vs Capcom which (as we all know) is nothing more than a NGPC link up mode.

hebe
rank 13
Posted:
Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:17 am
quote : #3
Living in Europe I can't see what americans have got to complain about. VOOT wasn't even released in Europe, in any shape or form. Outrigger, UT, Daytona and 18 wheeler all had their online play removed from the European version, and other titles, Bomberman online, Alien Front Online, Oooga booga, NFL 2k2, NBA 2k2 and many more were never released in Europe. And don't forget PSO ver.2 was going to be Japan only. The only online games we got that were Europe only were a couple of crappy racing games. Okay, we got Shenmue 2 and headhunter, but you guys still got the XBox/PS2 versions, and they aren't online. All the games I've mentioned are never going to see the light of Day in Europe. SEGA of Europe always came up with pathetic excuses for not hosting servers. I don't see what those sites complaining about. All you lucky gits got the good stuff! Twisted Evil
Posted:
Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:24 am
quote : #4
lordnikon wrote:

There was no way this could have worked in the US at the time. In Japan it worked fine, but in the US...no way.

Why? They could have made it totally Direct Dile like the Netlink was, and the Netlink worked here. Just wondering.
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:49 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
hebe wrote:
Living in Europe I can't see what americans have got to complain about. VOOT wasn't even released in Europe, in any shape or form. Outrigger, UT, Daytona and 18 wheeler all had their online play removed from the European version, and other titles, Bomberman online, Alien Front Online, Oooga booga, NFL 2k2, NBA 2k2 and many more were never released in Europe. And don't forget PSO ver.2 was going to be Japan only. All the games I've mentioned are never going to see the light of Day in Europe. SEGA of Europe always came up with pathetic excuses for not hosting servers. I don't see what those sites complaining about. All you lucky gits got the good stuff! Twisted Evil

I hate to bring this up, but with Dreamcast Online the concept of a game not getting release in Europe or the US is irrelevant.

You can import and play out of region software.

If you wanted to play outtrigger at the time all you had to do was hop online and import the game. End of story.

dwachill wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

There was no way this could have worked in the US at the time. In Japan it worked fine, but in the US...no way.

Why? They could have made it totally Direct Dile like the Netlink was, and the Netlink worked here. Just wondering.

One word....SegaNet. Why would sega of america even attempt to mess with dwango if they already had grand plans for seganet. Flip flopping between services would make the already jaded sega customer even more nervous. Direct Dial technologies would have really hurt segas plan for a fully realised online gaming network. It wouldn't have worked, this is why dwango based games stayed in japan. Hell the entire japanese online gaming infastructure is still centered around this mini fee business model. This would have had very little market success in the US, and would have really hurt sega's online gaming plans.