1, 2  Next
Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:31 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'll have to admit... before the Dreamcast, I wasn't one for enjoying sports, but ever since I got titles like WSB 2K2 and NHL 2K2, I can't put them down!

WSB 2K2:

This one is a real gem. It's America's favorite past-time in a great all-around package. There's everything from seasons to homerun derby. My only real complaint is that there is no training/practice area.

The framerate is solid, and the graphics look great. Sometimes, you can think you're actually there. I love how the fingers are articulated. A great amount of detail went into this game. It's also easy to pickup and play. Throwing to the bases is intuitive by making use of the diamond pattern of the Dreamcast buttons.

The commentary isn't really that repetitive (there are a few things that get said a lot more than others) and crowd adds a great atmosphere.

NHL 2K2:

This has to be my favorite sports game now. When I first saw it and tried to play it, I thought it wasn't all that easy, but after giving it a thankful second chance, I'm hooked. It's a lot of fun. The differences in difficulty vary greatly enough that it makes each time a really unique experience. There's a real sense of exhilaration during the matches.

This one also provides a great array of colorful commentary with a nice balance of intro music and chants from the audience.

Again, the graphics are a shining example of the Dreamcast's power. The character models are excellent, and the framerate stays solid throughout. I also like the ice shavings effect as well as the reflection in the ice. All very nice detail.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I won't review NBA 2K2 and Tennis 2K2 here. I think everyone already knows how great these games are! Very Happy I love them all!

I'm also really fond of the NCAA and NFL 2K2 games, but I don't know all of the rules of football. I usually just end up randomly picking plays and getting tackled before I can even move, so it's not that much fun, or as easy to pickup and play as the other games I mentioned.

I think the only one I don't really like is Virtua Striker. It's not that easy, and the controls are a bit clumsy.

- Dreamcast ™

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:15 pm
quote : #2
I fully agree with you about Sega Sports. I must admit though that I haven't played WSB 2K2 as much as I would have liked to. I still play a great amount of NHL 2K2. That game is great. I've played through seasons with a few iterations of both NBA and NFL 2k, and that has been some of my favorite Dreamcast gaming.

NFL 2K3, which unfortunately never made it to Dreamcast, was absolutely sublime. So were NFL 2K5 and NBA 2K5, which came out after Sega sold their sports division to Take Two Interactive. For me, it's really sad seeing Sega leave the sports gaming market, which was one area they really excelled at. I guess it just highlights the financial difficulty the company has endured the past several years.

Anyway, NFL , NHL, and NBA 2k2 are incredible games, and for me, they really highlight what at the time was one of the strongest areas of Dreamcast gaming - sports.

How are my little crackers doing today?
MK
rank 16
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:05 pm
quote : #3
I'm not a big fan of NFL 2K3.

2K1 is where it's at. The perfect balance between simulation and arcade fun.

[edited by admin: watch the flaming please.]
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:49 pm
quote : #4
I didnt really like WSB, but i thought all the other 2K2 games kicked ass Mr. Green
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 pm
quote : #5
I like all of the Sega Sports games (not including Virtua Striker which doesn't even count in my books since it was an arcade port) besides WSB 2K1. 2K2 however, has some of the best batter/pitcher duels in baseball gaming. My friend came over to play and already knew all the controls. When I asked why he said, "That's how the controls are today." Talk about innovation, that 4 and 5 years after WSB 2K2 and NFL 2K1, respectively, nothing much has changed.
rank 20
Posted:
Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:51 pm
quote : #6
I hate sports games. HATE them.

I love NBA and NFL 2k1.

Just saying.

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:20 am
quote : #7
yeah im not a fan of sports titles either but i do enjoy some sports games on dreamcast. i have nhl 2k and nhl 2k2 plus nba 2k and nba 2k2 i quite like those 2 sets, i also have nfl blitz, nba hoops and nfl 2k1, but as im not in the least interested in american football, and since i have no idea how the sport works, nfl games dont do anything for me. i also have the tennis series which are pretty good.
Posted:
Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:43 pm
quote : #8
The NFL2K series is one of the best sports games out, period. Great gameplay and graphics and it was awesome online. American football rules, its rugby that seems a little shallow. Laughing

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:21 am
quote : #9
uhuh, well im not going to get into an arguement about which sport is best i simply dont find either one interesting, if i had to pick sports to watch it would be extreme sports everytime. i have the nfl 2k online game from way back and the graphics do absolutely nothing for me. maybe if i knew more about american football i would understand a bit better but the game just kinda bores me. imo of course, im sure loads of you guys love it and with good reason, just not my cup a tea.
Posted:
Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:07 am
quote : #10
I've recently started playing Tennis 2K2 and it's an incredibly good game. such good graphics and control and the world tour is good fun Twisted Evil

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:25 pm
quote : #11
I bought Tennis 2k2 as well and when I went to a friends birthday party we had alot of fun with that game Cool 4 vs 4 is soo cool! we pratically played that game for about 2 1/2 hours straight 4 vs 4 .....good times......good times......

DatBoyScrooge
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:29 pm
quote : #12
I love my NBA 2K2
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:21 pm
quote : #13
Type: PAL
hey , ijust picked up nhl 2k from the car boot in mint condition for £2 !!!! its awesome ive got to say. would it be worth me gettingnhl 2k2 with an import disk or is there not much difference
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:48 pm
quote : #14
It's quite a big jump from game to game I'd say, and NHL2K2 is made by one of my favorite DC developers, Treyarch.
rank 15
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:58 pm
quote : #15
I believe that World Series Baseball 2k1 is absolutely friggin awesome. By FARRRRRRRRRRR the best looking baseball game I have EVER played. I enjoyed MLB 2k5 for the XBOX but it's nothing compared to 2k1 for the DC. The game looked so realistic it wasn't even funny.

NFL 2k2 was my fav in the football series.

I really disliked Tennis 2k2. Graphics were horrible and the game actually became wayyyy too arcadey! Virtua Tennis is still my most favorite party game, especially when there's alcohol involved...lmao