Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Previous  1, 2
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:21 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I do have to admint, I really enjoyed the sports series on the Dreamcast. I still play NFL 2K2, Tennis 2K2, Baseball 2K2, and Hockey 2K2 on a regular basis. The controls for all of the games are great. I wish there was a feature to take created players into a franchise, since you can only do this for World Series Baseball 2K2. The overall series is great. It's kind of disappointing to think that so much more could have been done graphically and feature wise for these otherwise brillant games.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:23 am
quote : #17
Type: PAL
I don't agree with you there. I play NHL 2K2 on a regular basis and i have to say, running on the dreamcast you are not going to get it any better graphically (its sweet Mr. Green )

However I personaly prefer NHL 2K to NHL 2K2, NHL 2K2's commentary is rather clumsy and slow. It makes the commentators seem slow, stupid and sluggish. The commentary on NHL 2K is much more colourful and uses a wider vocab and actually uses ice hockey terms! where 2K2 would say :

"hes coming with the puck!"

2K would say:

"johnson has scooped the puck away, and is charging for the wrap around!"

Even though 2K2 has nicer graphics, i find the gameplay in 2K much better.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
TheRunningMan
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:36 am
quote : #18
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
I bought Tennis 2k2 as well and when I went to a friends birthday party we had alot of fun with that game Cool 4 vs 4 is soo cool! we pratically played that game for about 2 1/2 hours straight 4 vs 4 .....good times......good times......

My thoughts exactly.

Dan

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:41 am
quote : #19
I agree with pretty much all of the above Very Happy

Also Tee-Off Golf and ESPN Track and Field, Jimmy White's 2 Cueball, Sega Sports Jam, NFL Blitz, Sega Marine Fishing 2, UEFA Dream Soccer.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:00 am
quote : #20
Type: NTSC-U/C
lozz wrote:
Where 2K2 would say : "hes coming with the puck!"
2K would say: "johnson has scooped the puck away, and is charging for the wrap around!"

Even though 2K2 has nicer graphics, i find the gameplay in 2K much better.

I'll have to give 2000 a go sometime. The voiceovers do get a little repetitive after the fourth / fifth time. Has anyone ever proven / dispelled the rumor that there's extra commentary with the Sega Sports console? I haven't noticed any changes.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:52 am
quote : #21
DRBagabundo wrote:
I really disliked Tennis 2k2. Graphics were horrible and the game actually became wayyyy too arcadey! Virtua Tennis is still my most favorite party game, especially when there's alcohol involved...lmao

Thats defnitly not true - the controls for virtua tennis 1 are heavy arcade styled - you cant realy miss a ball and thats why all ppl can easy play it (party game). Virtua tennis 2 owns the more REAL tennis controls - playing a good ball has 2 do with a lot of factors - you need a good position 2 the ball and the right point 2 swing ur racket. I can talk about that - coz I own both versions and been playing virtua tennis for a long time. Actual Im preparing myself for the next dcarena tennis matches in september. On our last meeting I plaid against a tennis crack (who plaid tennis for real along time). I noticed during our games that virtua tennis 2 plays like a tennis game in reality. This game blows ur brain.

Back 2 main topic. I realy like the sega sports titles for the dc - only the soccer game isnt that great. But hehehhe I dont like the way like EA is doing it with their sports games - so Im sure Im not going 2 get virtua tennis 3....
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 am
quote : #22
Type: NTSC-U/C
The sequals year after year on other consoles sure do run down the sports genre. One of the benifits we had of the Dreamcast fading from the market, is that we only got so many sports games. Only 2-3 years of annual sports titles. The 2K series would have continued on the Dreamcast just like Visial Concepts has continued to crank out the 2K games now on other systems. The DC would have seen a glut of redundant releases because of it.

It is a lot easier to get interested and play some sports games when you have just a few baseball games, or 2 hockey games. Rather than 500 clones that are virtually the same.

I own Virtua Tennis 2K2 (aka Virtua Tennis 2). I still need to get an original of Virtua Tennis. Trying to track it down sealed.
Posted:
Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:28 pm
quote : #23
Sega Tennis 2k2/Virtua Tennis 2 have women in it - something that was strangely lacking in the first game. The same can be said of Uefa Dream Soccer - women players ! How many soccer games have that feature ?

Soccer games on the DC don't have the kudos that Pro Evo/Winning Eleven or Fifa games enjoy, but Virtua Striker 2 is an over the top 'arcadey' version of the beautiful game which can be great fun in multiplayer. Maybe not realistic as a sim, but i don't mind that-it is a video game after all ! Uefa Dream's predecessor Euro 2000 is ok too.

NHL2K has a Dolby Surround soundtrack ! As far as i know it's the only DC game that does ?

Need to get hold of NHL2K2 now - has that got Dolby Surround ?

Finally can i count Ready to Rumble as a sports game ? Both versions make me laugh out loud everytime i play em. Classic games Smile

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:19 pm:

i urge everyone to download the full cheat list for NFL Blitz. Very funny Laughing