Page Location: Home > StarLancer > Topic
Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:06 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
So I was waiting around in the game lobby today, and decided to play around in the Grendel while I waited. I was playing around with the guns, and noticed that one of them, the plasma canon I think, has infinite firing energy. I basically went around shooting rocks with it for the next 10 minutes, and suddenly noticed it stopped firing. I had taken no damage, and my ship gave no signs to indicate that it was out of gun energy for the plasma canon. The other gun fired and took energy like usual. I killed myself, and when I respawned the plasma canon fired again and I didn't stop for about 5 minutes when the plasma canon stopped. I tried the same thing with the wolverine, and the inifinite gun it has stopped around 4:30. I should say that in all my tests, I didn't hold the button down the entire time, and waited a minute or two before killing myself.

It's kind of strange because I don't remember this ever happening in multiplayer or singleplayer. Although, in multiplayer, it would be rare for someone to stay alive for 4-5 minutes while continually firing. So I guess it's not really a problem. Maybe if it were changed to like 30-60 seconds, it would affect gameplay a little.

I'm just wondering why the time limit was put in at all? I guess it could have been a hold-over from the single player campaign, but I can't remember it happening to me. I know there are quite a few levels that would require 4-5 minutes of firing. There's that one where the player and the Yamato go after the Black Guard's base carrier, and you have to destroy like 20 regular fighters, 20 black guard fighters, torpedo bombers, and topedoes lauched from the carrier. The black guard alone average about 20-30 seconds firing each because those chicken bastards cloak all the time, and if you don't keep shooting, their shields recharge.

Was this a fluke? Am I the only one who didn't know about this?

Something else I discovered is that the Grendel will also fire backwards when the plasma cannon is firing. At least, it looked like it was shooting. I know I saw something. I would need to test it on someone to see f their shields drop. It was hard to tell trying to shoot rocks in the "flyby" camera view. I know the wolverine had a similar gun in the PC version, but it didn't seem to carry over to DC. I think it may even my in the DC manual, but I've never seen it fire.
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:27 am
quote : #2
I think that having the guns quit firing after several minutes is probably programmed into the game. The only other time I can think of when your guns don't work is if you are playing online and take enough hits that your front shields and armor go down. Then the guns don't work.
Posted:
Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:26 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
I had no idea they ran out, thats why i've been using the grendel lately, just so i could keep shooting. but it might be to simulate running out of solid ammo, as you can see spent shells flying out the back of the grendels guns. not too sure if the others are using some sort of solid ammo or not.

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:17 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, I played the friday game in Grendel today, and Loneowolf "volunteered" to test the reverse guns. They actually work. I blew him up, although it took quite a long time. I don't think it's a viable defense weapon when you're being chased down. I only tried it with just the plasma canon, and not full guns, so I don't know yet if it would work with full guns. Lonewolf wasn't in the mood to volunteer again.

I never ran out of the plasma canon during the game, but if you've seen me play, you can probably guess why. I swear I could ram someone with guns blazing and not even scratch their paint. Not that JMC or lonewolf or helga minded.........JMC would get the kill when I smashed myself into a million pieces on his behemoth, and then Lonewolf or Helga could finish him off before I could respawn. hehehe, it was still fun though.