Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Unerd_01
rank 7
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Having just returned from holiday (where i was more than pleased to find the arcade version of VT 2k2) i came to thinking what isbest to replicate multiplayer......?

Blaze's Twin mini stick OR two official arcade sticks?

Who wins? you decide!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:18 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Ok I just have to get one thing out of the way. I see so many people who would rather buy a Dreamcast arcade stick, over using another systems stick with a convertor. They will end up taking a lower quality stick just because it was associated or released for the Dreamcast. This is totally insane.

Please do not fall into this catagory of people.

The Blaze Twin Arcade sticks are built with light plastic, and they are about the size of a fullsize PC keyboard. You and whoever you are playing with are going to be nearly kissing. Maybe if you were playing with a lady friend, however with a guy friend...might seem slightly awkward. There is that 16 inches of personal space, that when invaded gets realy uncomfortable.

Then there is the stick usually labeled as "the official" Dreamcast arcade stick. The large stick with the green buttons. This stick is "ok". It is built well enough, but many have complained that the stick has too much throw. This stick will get you by, but its not arcade perfect.

---

If you want my best advice, buy some PS2 to DC convertors. Then buy yourself any range of PS2 arcade sticks. I recommend a stick by Hori. The HORI Fighting Stick 2 is well priced at about $50.00 each. Also, buy the Total Control PLUS convertor. The regular total control is merely a PS1 convertor and will not convert PS2 controllers. So remember you need the Total Control PLUS.

Atleast buy 1 convertor and 1 arcade stick for playing solo. The HORI sticks are just about as close to the arcade as you can get, and the price is just too good. I have been using (the now out of print) Soul Calibur 2 HORI stick, which I picked up for a smoking deal of 38.90. I play all of my Fighters, Shootemups and other arcade games with it. It never feels awkward. I feel like I am right there at the arcade playing these games.

Plus you could even get the NeoGeo PS2 replica which is a carbon copy of the NeoGeo AES home system arcade stick, for the PS2.

Also if you buy the Hori sticks, you can always swap out the buttons or the stick for a different model arcade stick purchased from a real arcade hardware supplier.

Owning the convertor will let you also use a myriad of other devices that are PS2 compatible. Such as the PS2 saturn style pads or even the NeoGeo CD ps2 style pad.

It might be a bit more money, however it is well worth the investment to get quality. Trust me, when it comes to arcade sticks, you are going to want something that feels up to par with real arcade setups. The best way to go is with a PS2 to DC convertor.
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:51 am
quote : #3
Nikon, you truly are a legend in your own time.

I guess the best thing is not too rush into this, i have one 'official stick' already and dont mind it, but as you say there is a certain looseness to its control. The blaze stick is out the window if it dosent measure up. Kissing will be the least of my worries after a few sweaty bouts with a mate.

I guess i either make the cheap decission of adding another official stick or going for the Hori's. I think i'll check the Hori's out a bit more. May even make sense to put a few more hours on the stick i have and see if it holds up after all, i doubt there'l be daily hour upon hour multiplayer to warrant using two Hori's....but solo use.... Razz

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:08 am
quote : #4
If you already have one official stick, then you should just buy 1 Hori, and 1 convertor for now. Then atleast your friend could use the official stuck and you could use the Hori. If the Hori really makes the difference for you, then you could determine how worth it is to buy another one. All depends on how frequent you play multiplayer when friends are over.

Also I stress getting the Total Control Plus convertor. Since it has the VMU slot on the side. While most games support reading VMu's from any port. Key titles like Ikaruga require the VMU be in port A for Player 1, and B for Player 2. There is a work around but its a pain in the ass. Where you have to plug in a standard controller...manually load your save...then plug in your arcade stick afterwards. Then unplug and re-save before you power off the console.

So get the Total Control Plus so you can have a VMU plugged into the adaptor.
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:24 am
quote : #5
Why you use an arcade stick for V-Tennis? Is it more playable? The analog stick on a normal controller works very well with V-Tennis.
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:51 am
quote : #6
It does work well with the pad but theres just something special about serving up an ace with a stick, the games a great arcade game and i think the sticks really add to that!

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:16 am
quote : #7
I also have a pair of Soul Calibur II sticks, and they totally rock. There's a bunch of killer sticks and fighting pads on the market that can easily be converted for use on Dreamcast. Don't limit yourself to just Dreamcast sticks, because there isn't a converter allowing Dreamcast controls to be used on other systems. Unfortunately, it's a one-way street.

If you truly want a real dual arcade stick setup, check out www.x-arcade.com . They sell true-to-feel sticks in either single or dual stick setups, and they use arcade quality components througout. Plus, the control configurations are programable, and there are adapters available allowing the controllers to be used on Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, XBox, PCs, and I think even Macs. I think Gamestop and maybe Babbage's carries them, but usually I just see the single controller setup there for around $79, and the dual setup can be found around $129 or so.

Here's a pretty thorough review and pictures of the dual stick setup: http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Input-Devices/X-Arcade-Controller/

I want one. Bad.

How are my little crackers doing today?
charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:29 pm
quote : #8
YEah that is true games that were arcade conversions just feel so much better on well real arcade buttons .
I never knew there were so many to choose from for the dreamcast since I never really purchased one for any console ever.
Thanks for the warning on the official one even though surely ay sega fan cant pass up on getting it just for the pleasure of having one lol.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:41 pm
quote : #9
the agetec dc stick is the best dc stick you can buy.

I'd suggest looking around for one, and if you can find it for cheap, buy it, and mod it with a sanwa stick. The end result is on par with the hori real arcade pro, arguably the best (and expensive) stick on the market.

if you ever watch the videos from EVO 2K5, you'll notice modded DC sticks are one of the most common, and for a good reason. Great box, very light, awesome layout, and easy as hell to mod.

if yr not up to the DoItYourself method, then you can always Buy It Yourself :p

it'd probably be even cheaper to buy some nice Hori Saturn sticks with an adapter to use on dc.

X arcades are even worse than the DC sticks. the sticks are terrible and the button layout is just wacky if you're not used to it. More trouble than it's worth for $79
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:17 am
quote : #10
I would highley reccomend the Official Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick. Its for PS2 and xbox, but works flawlessly with PS2 to DC converters. The stick is responcive, and can be picked up at EBgames for 50 bucks.
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:04 am
quote : #11
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, i'll e doing some serious thinking over the next week or so. Ilike the idea of the mod but may wait untill i get a few more hours available!