rank 37
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:51 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi all,

Yeah interesting title huh...lol

Ok, well basicallly one of my Dreamcast (the one I am currently using) has started displaying everything on screen in a pink colour and a fairly strong pink colour as well. I have tried cleaning the output port and have taken the whole thing apart cleaned it and looked for any obvious problems that might have been related but no...still pink...anybody come across this problem before? I kinda get the feeling its the graphics side of the mainboard that has died on me...what to ya all think?

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:25 pm
quote : #2
wow a dreamcast that went pink on the display, now there;s something I never heard of.
Sorry cant help you but I couldnt pass up on getting more info on this really curious fact. Any way you could like take a picture of the screen so we can all see it? It really makes me interested , as to guessing what it might be not sure but what you saying seems to be right , because that would be to do with graphics and how it diplays the colours . Also try your gamma settings on the tv? Dont knwo just doign some wild guessing here its hard when you not there physycally to see it . good luck getting rid of all the pinkness but try to play some games to see what happens lol.

Ps why would pink be associated with gay men because I see men wear it a lot on tshirts and such lol , not an argument or anythigng its just weird thats all Wink

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:03 pm
quote : #3
Type: Pal
Hey Sega

If you get no luck here I just rememberd that one of my old old Dreamcast friends worked in a job where he fixed and tested DC's. If you get no luck from here I believe I can still get in touch with him through someone else and ask what it might be.

If this is totaly unique and its never been seen before then ...... how much do you reckon it would fetch on ebay Shocked

Laters
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:17 pm
quote : #4
Hi,

Dunno really, just thought I would say my DC is gay so that peopel checked out the topic...lol....you are right though, there are a lot of guys these days wearing pink...don't get it myslef but there you go Smile sorry if I offended anyone with that....I mean no offence...probably shouldnt have said it really Crying or Very sad

Nah there is nothing wrong with the TV settings, thats not the problem at all, as other DC's work fine....I have also tried fiddling with the cable at the scart (Europe uses scart sockets) as well as at the DC itself...no luck...very odd. It was last night it happened, I turned it on and it went to a very light pink colour, wen back to normal and the wham, it went heavy pink and thats how it has stayed...odd

Yeah if you could get in contact with that person m8 that would be cool, perhaps see how this thread does first and then try him..cheers for that. As for it being a rare fault....hmm you never know someone might buy a DC with a odd fault...lol

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

MK
rank 16
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:32 pm
quote : #5
Stop playing "Queer as Folk" avi's on it.
Posted:
Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:11 pm
quote : #6
i had a few problems with my sega saturn where the picture would come thru in funny hues and strange colours so i tried moving around the scart lead in the tele and it turned out the scart plug at the end of the saturn socket had loose pins or something. maybe your dc's scart lead has a loose or missing pin, tried a different scart?? maybe break out the aerial for it that comes with it to test it.
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:28 am
quote : #7

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 am
quote : #8
Type: PAL
lol, i had trouble with my saturn scart aswell, i swapped it for a different lead and it worked fine, it is most likely your lead!!
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:50 am
quote : #9
Ok guys well you got it half right, I didn't try other cables before because my other DC's work on it fine so I guessed with wasn't a problem with the scart cable...however I just tried it with a UHF cable and an AV cable and both work fine...so I though "hmmm lets try a different scart cable then" so I did but the problem is still there, so the problem seem to come when the Dreamcast boots and recognises a scart connection....because it does seem to recognise how its connected ebcause you cant use a UHF cable (after using a scart cable for example) without re-booting...so it seems a certain part of the DC may have blown as there is nothing wrong with the cable, but it will work using other output methods...odd

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

ultrapro
unknown
Posted:
Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:15 pm
quote : #10
ooooooooooooorrrrr.............. maybe your tv's scart socket ie: where you plug in the scart cable, has gone wrong. anything else that connects via scart have this problem?? if not then yes, your dc has decided it would like to be gay, i assume.
Posted:
Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:59 am
quote : #11
lol...yeah the scart socket is toally fine...everything works fine through it including other Dreamcasts....so yeah I think soemthing has blown inside somewhere...its no big deal really as I have a fair few spare DC's so im not exactly short but its just a shame...but at least I can either use it through an AV cable or just use it for parts Smile Unless of course anybody can come up with a solution.

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:58 am
quote : #12
Pink... A broken pin perhaps? I once got a yellowish picture from a loose RGB scart connection. Sounds like the green pin connector is damaged. Does it look something like this?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Phredreeke/pinkloosepin.jpg

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:30 am
quote : #13
Yeah much like that, I think you could well be right about it being a broken pin/connector but I cannot see anything wrong..but thats not to say there isnt a problem...I know the scart cable itself is ok as I have used other Dreamcast on it, and I have also been able to use the dreamcast with the pink screen, fine via a UHF or AV cable....but I do believe the scart output would use different pins to the AV and UHF cables anyway or at least some extra pins anyway.

So yeah you could well be right with that, but how I would find it and sort it I have no idea...its not really a huge problem anyway because like I said before I have plenty of Dreamcast's but it would be nice to solve the problem if I can

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:41 am
quote : #14
I can't see any other reason than that the connection on the DC to the green pin is screwed.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:05 pm
quote : #15
It sounds like the actual SCART lead from your Dreamcast console is faulty. Since the scart hookup displays correctly with your TV and cable using another Dreamcast, and given the fact the pink Dreamcast can display other output types correctly, you are basically left with the SCART output lead.

Is that something that is easily replaceable? I have never used a PAL Dreamcast, so I have no idea. I would suggest replacing the faulty output lead with one from a "parts" Dreamcast.

How are my little crackers doing today?