Topic: Why come Chai hard?

Page 1 of 1
MK
rank 16
Posted:
Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:50 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Why is the first battle with Chai so hard in Shenmue I. On this play through, I want to beat Chai. But after about 43 tries, I haven't been able to do it. Still.

Does anyone here have a better stragety?

HA!!!! Edit: I just beat him. BEST CUTSCENE IN THE GAME. Doesn't affect the plot much, but YES YES YES YES YES.
The strategy I used was just press foward+kick every time he was in range. He walked into most of my kicks. I landed a few forward-foward-punch elbow slams and the forward + punch + kick whenever he was open... but it was mostly the forward kick.
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
wow i always thought that yu were ment to lose, so whats in the movie afterwards then?
rank 16
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:36 am
quote : #3
Not-so-much-of-a-spoiler ahead:

Normally, when you lose, you fold over and Fuku-san jumps in trying to save you, but lets Chai get away, and you have to stay in bed for a bit before you can kick Jimmy's ass at the Asia Travel Co.

But, when you win... just watching Chai fold over in defeat going "Ooouuugh..." made me shout out YES! The cutscene begins with Chai trying to get up onto his feet, and Ryo does a ROUNDHOUSE to the fallen Chai's chest... sending him flying into an arcade machine and KNOCKING it over. I was cheering and laughing it was so rewarding. Then Chai is on the ground and Ryo kicks him in the ribs. Chai eventually scrambles to his feet, then runs away. You untie the Arcade owner and he says, "Jimmy... Jimmy is one of them." So now you don't have to wait in bed to kick Jimmy's ass. You can go straight there and kick that bowl-headed bastard for taking your dough.

Doesn't effect the plot much... but it feels so damn good. I felt like a total badass all day yesterday.
Posted:
Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:10 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
shenmue is very rewarding like that. Love beating up those punks Razz
rank 21
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:21 am
quote : #5
Oh i never managed to kick shan's ass , I find his moves wacky and too impossible to defend from.
I mean the more I kick him it seem that he actually enjoys it .
Maybe he is one of those people who pay to be beaten , dominatrix stuff.

But it's still nice to see when his friend saves him like some kind of acton movie.
What Im really stuck on nowdays is that punk kid on shenmue 2 , he just keeps avoiding me , and Im always too slow to get the buttons right Smile

.I got a job on it but movine crates isnt exactly very exciting stuff, so Im sorry to say I really havetn touched shenmue 2 after it .
I mean bad enough my life sucks , I dotn wnat it to do the same in a videogame .

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
diogo which bit on shenmue 2 are you stuck on? if its anything before when you go to Kowloom (spelt wrong but who cares) i should be able to help you.
unknown
Posted:
Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:10 pm
quote : #7
yeah this is the bit that always stumped me about shenmue 1 as well. i got to the fight and was just no match for him. left it for a long time and when i came back to it i decided i would dedicate a lot of time to just constant training in the car parking lot just up from the you arcade, but i never got that far since, i always end up restarting it cos when i come back to it i forget how far i got. any tips for how to beat him guys??
Posted:
Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:55 pm
quote : #8
This is how I beat Chai:

Every time he got near me, I pressed Forward-A. Ryo does a move not unlike a punt. To make sure he doesn't parry your kick, attack him when he begins his attack animation for whatever he's doing. Because the kick is usually lower than his attacks, your move will have more priority. The only move you really have to look out for is when he does a bunch of Mud Spiders, where his back is on the ground and he does a bunch of kicks towards your jaw. If he hits you with the first, you won't have enough time to recover. Luckily, that combo does hardly any damage. The Y button is your best friend. He usually ends the Mud Spider combo with a mini dragon uppercut [weak] or he'll bounce back, then do a leaping donkey kick [strong, but you have enough time to recover].
Every time Chai jumped, I pressed regular A. I can usually get the first two kicks of the A, A, A combo... The last one leaves you open.
AVOID hand moves as much as possible. He parrys them extremely well and has a counter that takes a lot of damage.
Whenever he does a grab move that leaves you facing the wrong direction, turn around using A and A only. It will always hit him.
He will escape your grabs... so don't even think about pressing B.
If you have Stab Armor, Twin Hand Waves, or Elbow Assault maxxed out [my three favorite moves], you can use those for any of Chai's air attacks. You WILL be tempted to use these after you parry one of Chai's moves [by pressing Y at the same time he attacks], but he he recovers faster than Little Suede Headed Ryo and he will parry your counter and make you feel pain.
The most important thing about battling Chai in the arcade is patience. I kept on jumping the gun because I wanted him dead. He has an insane amount of health which makes the battle last so hard. I think it took nearly 40-60 hits before he died for me; I wasn't really counting.
Posted:
Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:32 pm
quote : #9
so how long does it take to max out these moves?? cos no matter how hard i train, be it for days on end (days in the game) they just dont seem to go up very far. got any tips on how to get your moves up high enough?? is it best to just set training to all round or focus on a set group? thanks for the tips mate.
Posted:
Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:14 pm
quote : #10
ultrapro wrote:
so how long does it take to max out these moves?? cos no matter how hard i train, be it for days on end (days in the game) they just dont seem to go up very far. got any tips on how to get your moves up high enough?? is it best to just set training to all round or focus on a set group? thanks for the tips mate.

What I did was set focus to hands/legs, then set focus on a particular move. When the move maxxes out, it automatically moves to the next one. I sat there for HOURS training Ryo. I got the US to UK thing right so all that training wasn't for naught.
Posted:
Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:55 pm
quote : #11
us to uk thing??? and how long is hours? i mean as in how many like days in the shenmue world did it take??
Posted:
Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:25 pm
quote : #12
My Shenmue routine: Wake up. Call my ho. Battle Fuck-san. Feed kitty. Buy more squid legs if necessary. Talk to ho in person. Train in parking lot until 7pm shenmue time. Reenter parking lot to train till 10. Either go to arcade or go to bed. Repeat.

I'd set aside events and such so I could train. It got kinda boring but it was my goal to train. I didn't really count how many hours I spent... but I had a scratch on my second disc that wouldn't let me open my notebook or the game would freeze... so I kept losing training and I had to redo stuff.

By not going to warehouse number 17, I got a lot of training done on the third disc... which also results in a lot of money because you have to work the same shift every day. It gives you a chance to get all the forklife collectables. The bad thing is that when you're doing that, you're completely disconnected from Dobuita.

So yeah, I don't know how long I spent... I just remember spending a lot of time. I wish there was a faster way to train throws, though. My Arm Break Fire will always be immature. Sad

The US to UK thing consists of me converting a US Shenmue save into a UK Shenmue save so I can start my import UK version of Shenmue II with all my moves, money, and collections. I getsa start out with two instakill moves. I bought so many Zippo's.

Here's a time saver: To master a move, you just have to cross the line from Moderate to Advanced. You don't have to fill it all up. [I was hell bent on maxxing it out though. Funny since Shenmue II only recognizes if you crossed the line]. To get the mastered version of a move, all you have to do is move it above the center line. The beginner's stab-armor and the expert's stab-armor look like completely different moves.