rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I just recently found out about this code:

60 FPS Mode:
At the title screen press Up, A, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, B, Down. A sound should confirm the code.

This is incredible. I was always depressed about the DC release because the framerate was really dissapointing. So I was doing some research on other things, and came across some reference to a 60fps sega rally 2 code. My eyes bulged. I fantically opened google typing with one hand while powering on my Dreamcast with the other. I find the code. I test the code. IT IS GLORIOUS!!!

The code basically cuts out unecessary special effects and terrain features. Trees will be eliminated from the maps. Also the dust and water trails coming off the car, as well as dust attaching to the car, will be absent.

What you get in return is a near flawless framerate on most of the maps, with only a few maps still having some serious slowdown spots. On many courses you can drive in the close perspective for the entire course and not notice a hint of slowdown. Full 60 frames per second no joke.

If you didn't know about this code, please check it out. It is well worth using and will have a dramatic effect on your enjoyment of Sega Rally 2 for the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:19 am
quote : #2
i just gave it a shot. gotta say, looks spetacular.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:38 pm
quote : #3
I remember that code. It was particularly useful for the pal release, which as well as having serious slow down, did not have a 60hz option. Sad

With the 'cheat' enabled it's just like having the same level of detail as in 2 player mode... only you're on your own if you see what I mean!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:47 pm
quote : #4
Le Spank wrote:
I remember that code. It was particularly useful for the pal release, which as well as having serious slow down, did not have a 60hz option. Sad

Yea I can imagine what this game must have been like on 50hz with its framerate dips. Yeesh... must have been pretty bad.
Posted:
Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:20 am
quote : #5
I does have a 60Hz option. According to ODM anyway Confused
Posted:
Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:45 am
quote : #6
hebe wrote:

ODM is wrong. Listen to me, boy! Wink

WHile we're on the subject of Sega Rally 2 cheats... if you hold the L trigger when selecting the Stratos you get a different version without a rear spoiler and it is much better!

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:17 pm
quote : #7
all I have to say is.....WOW

and thank you.
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:34 pm
quote : #8
There are other codes as well, but I han't gotten them to work. One says you can play a track with lower detail? and the time will be on the opposite side of the screen? Tried forever with no luck on this code. You press Y at the stage select. Atleast tahts what some guides say. If anyone can figure this one out lemme know.

Le Spank I'll try out that alternate Stratos car too, sounds neat.
Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:15 pm
quote : #9
Le Spank wrote:
hebe wrote:

ODM is wrong. Listen to me, boy! Wink

WHile we're on the subject of Sega Rally 2 cheats... if you hold the L trigger when selecting the Stratos you get a different version without a rear spoiler and it is much better!

Okay it's not that I don't trust you, it's just that they are right with every other game on DC, boy! Laughing
Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:02 pm
quote : #10
One of the reasons I traded Sega Rally for another game was because of it's framerate. I tried to find a copy of V-Rally, but I couldn't, so I had to rely on Gran Turismo 2 and the Saturn Bootleg Sampler Disc's Sega Rally demo to get my Rally fix.

I'll have to see what I can do about scoring another copy of Sega Rally 2. On a side note, does anyone know a good place to get it, and also the original online other than Ebay?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:16 pm
quote : #11
Yea the framerate boost really helps. Also I would recommend getting V-Rally as well. The framerate on V-Rally is insane, and it has a track editor as well. One thing to note is V-Rally's track designs are more narrow and tighter than the open stylish SR2 tracks. So each game really is very different. Also the cars in V-Rally can get some serious airtime going over some bumps.
Posted:
Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:02 am
quote : #12
V-Rally is a good game for a laugh and is also a multiplayer blast but I find the physics totally ridiculous. The cars feel way too light and as Nikon noticed they get serious air when they crash!

Did anyone try the extra Stratos cheat? You might find your times improve with it!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:33 am
quote : #13
Well, as far as the whole physics issue with racing games...

These are video games. A small margin of games could actually be called simulators. Every racing game on the market has unrealistic physics. Personally I don't think there is anything laughable about V-Rally's physics. The game does one thing better than any other rally racer that I have played, and that is to emulate the feeling of zipping down narrow paths and careening around corners practically on 2 wheels. All the way bumping, skidding, and hopping.

V-Rally's courses are actually far to small to be realistic either. However this keeps the framerate butter smooth.

I like the fact that you can catch air while going over bumps and love slamming down to the dirt just before sliding around a bend.

If every racing game had a realistic physics system, then we'd all own a Gran Turismo game and thats all. The only reason I own many racing games and enjoy playing them is because they all are developed differently and have a different physics system that you have to work with in order to complete the races.
Posted:
Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:27 am
quote : #14
I've done that code I think it totally makes the game more fun, more relistic.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:48 am
quote : #15
I like arcade rally more than simulation rally anyway. I tried the Colin Mcrae series, and holy crap was it tough. An awesome bunch of games, but man, I just want to tear ass through the mud. I think that's why I liked Rally Cross 2 o the PS1 so much. It also had a track editor.

I'll keep an eye out for V-Rally.