Previous  1, 2
kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:36 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
lordnikon wrote:
Well, as far as the whole physics issue with racing games...

These are video games. A small margin of games could actually be called simulators. Every racing game on the market has unrealistic physics. Personally I don't think there is anything laughable about V-Rally's physics. The game does one thing better than any other rally racer that I have played, and that is to emulate the feeling of zipping down narrow paths and careening around corners practically on 2 wheels. All the way bumping, skidding, and hopping.

V-Rally's courses are actually far to small to be realistic either. However this keeps the framerate butter smooth.

I like the fact that you can catch air while going over bumps and love slamming down to the dirt just before sliding around a bend.

If every racing game had a realistic physics system, then we'd all own a Gran Turismo game and thats all. The only reason I own many racing games and enjoy playing them is because they all are developed differently and have a different physics system that you have to work with in order to complete the races.

I think you're right on most aspects of V-Rally, lordnikon. V-Rally does an exceptional job of making you feel like you're racing down a narrow catwalk or plank, fighting to barely keep the car on the road. For a long time I felt as Le Spank does about the game physics, and as you do on the track size being too small, but then watching a bunch of actual rally races and trials on Speedvision really made me appreciate those aspects of the game. I watched a bit of time trials from different legs of the Race of Champions rally series, which are often conducted on insanely tight small contained courses, when I noticed how much air these cars can get. It was very different from the open terrain rallying found in the Sega Rally series or Gran Turismo. Cars were getting serious air and then quickly braking to make hairpin turns or S curves - very cool. What I found amazing though was that two or three cars rolled over during one time trial session, which is similar to my driving experience with V-Rally. V-Rally has a ton of tracks ranging from fast, open road segments, down to single lane twisty fun, and it's very cool.

Between Sega Rally 2, V-Rally, and Gran Turismo 2 on Bleemcast, I think the Dreamcast has a very good representation of different aspects of rally racing. That stuff is a blast with a racing wheel too!

Anyway, I need to try the Sega Rally code. I've got a few Dreamcast code books at home that I always forget to check, so I'll see if there are any other Sega Rally goodies in there too. If I find anything, I'll post 'em here.

How are my little crackers doing today?
JoMusashi
rank 6
Posted:
Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:10 am
quote : #17
I find the Sega Rally 2 60fps code takes away too much. I like seeing the trees and effects, and after a few days of playing, the standard framerate is fine (This is from a North American perspective; not sure just how terrible the PAL version is). I tried the code back in '99, didn't like it, and tried it again recently after re-acquiring the game. Still don't like it Smile

Check out my music:

http://www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy
gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:26 pm
quote : #18
Type: NTSC-U/C
I'm guessing it will work ok or the same on 2 player right?

Oh man how can anyone forget the game over in that game lol "Game Over Ya!"

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:48 pm
quote : #19
I just dug out my Dreamcast cheat books a couple of nights ago, and the other code I was thinking of locks Sega Rally 2 at 30 fps with all effects going. Steadying the frame rate, even at 30 fps, makes it less noticeable, and you can keep the full mud effects and scenery stuff. You might want to try that option if you want everything included. I forgot to bring the code with me, so I'll edit this post with it later for anyone interested.

The 60 fps mode was pretty sweet though. Not having the starter guy and line threw me a bit at first, but after that it was cool.

How are my little crackers doing today?