Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2, 3  Next
slade
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
This isn't my find, but someone over at dcemulation finally figured out the correct .pak editor to use to get custom maps loaded for Half-Life. I just tested it, and got a new single player map to load. I still have to test this further, but this could mean full mods like they hunger and uss darkstar could be loaded on the dreamcast. (both great single-player campaigns)

Here's how to do it:

1. Put the Half-Life CD's contents on to your computer.
2. Download Wally here: http://www.telefragged.com/wally/downloads.shtml
3. Open up pak0.pak (in the valve folder) with wally.
4. Add delete maps/models/whatever as you please. (Another thing to note, all the dc maps have .lt2 and .tex files with them, for your own maps, you don't need these, just put in the .bsp)
5. Save
6. Reburn the game with the new .pak file in place.
7. Hit ~ once you've loaded a map in half-life and type "map mapname" without the quotations.

Pretty cool eh?

TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:42 pm
quote : #2
Thats freakin awsome! I love They Hunger and now i can play it on my dc

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:51 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is great if it is really true. I had a previous post here, but deleted it when I realised there isn't any info showing that the maps did indeed get run on the Dreamcast.

Just trying to determine whether this is a hypothesis or proven to work.

Any links or posts or images to lead some credability that the maps actually were run on the Dreamcast?

If it is true this is great news. As I have been getting more interested in map making and creating minor mods for various games.
Posted:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:24 pm
quote : #4
i might be able to get some pics, or you can try it yourself, worst you'll do is burn a coaster. I might not be very much proof, but I can confirm it's working.

Unfortunately, i haven't got any full mods to run yet...some people say they've got opposing force running, but i keep getting errors after the maps loaded when i try they hunger...

just looking at it though, there is still a chance(maybe even a good chance) that we could get full blown mods to run, there's a lot of diffrent ways to try arranging the files to get it to run, and maybe an older version of said mods would be required since the dc version of half-life isn't current...just a few thoughts.

Until then though, there's several good single player level sets that will probably run...the only level one i've tried is "thehill" and it seems to work fine. Very Happy

UPDATE: I just realized they hunger requires half-life version 1.1.0.0 or higher, the DC version of half-life is 1.0.1.3
Sad

I'm not ruling out the possibility of getting this to work yet though, I bet/hope we can modify they hunger to work with an older version of half-life. Actually, there's older versions of they hunger that will work with version 1.0.1.3, so if someone could get ahold of that, it'll probably work Very Happy Oh and USS darkstar keeps bitching about missing models, so it won't load, that problem should be easily fixed by putting in the right models though.

Even if we can't get this working, this is still exciting news anyway, like nikon said, we could make our own levels, and probably full mods to create essentialy new games using half-life's engine. Smile

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:44 pm
quote : #5
A suggestion would be to try something easier like rip some pak's from any of the old Platinum Pack discs, and see if they work. A good one to try would either be Team Fortress Classic, Deathmatch Classic, or CounterStrike, since the default maps for any of these given games rarely exceeds the single MB digits.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
slade
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:51 pm
quote : #6
map size hasn't been a problem yet, out of the mods i've tried so far the largest map has been less than the largest one on the regular half-life .pak (around 3mb).

anyway, an update with they hunger, I found an older version of the first episode, and I seem to get farther than I have before, but now it won't load because it can't find a .spr file...so, this should be easily fixed too...

Last edited by slade on Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chile
rank 30
Posted:
Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:51 pm
quote : #7
nice, I hope this can reach the heights of modding as quake does.
rank 25
Posted:
Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:14 pm
quote : #8
would counter strike bot matches be posable?

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
slade
rank 5
Posted:
Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:17 pm
quote : #9
I was wondering the same thing, though i think the fact that all the bots i've seen require a dll would be a problem, since i don't know where they'd go...

TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:33 pm
quote : #10
Is there any information on the counter strike possibility

slade
rank 5
Posted:
Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:08 pm
quote : #11
Yeah, I don't think counter-strike would work, not with bots anyway.

Unless condition-zero does it's bots diffrently, any other bots use a .dll to hook up to the game, and the dreamcast ain't gonna let that fly as far as I know.

I'm out of blank cd's but i'm pretty sure I can get mods workin right, and when that happens I might post a link to the cd image of the modded half-life...

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:22 pm
quote : #12
Thats great news! You said that poeple have said that they got opposing force running on their dc?! thats even better!

slade
rank 5
Posted:
Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:55 pm
quote : #13
yup a couple more people have confirmed that opposing force is working, and i just got a hold of a copy of opposing force and some blank cd's today so i'll be updating soon...

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:00 pm
quote : #14
I've had Opposing Force for my pc for a while now but I don't have half-life for dc yet.I've beaten Hl1 on pc so i don't know if i would play it that much. But since you can get opposing force to work on dc I think I'll have to try to get it to work.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:08 pm
quote : #15
Type: PAL
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
I've had Opposing Force for my pc for a while now but I don't have half-life for dc yet.I've beaten Hl1 on pc so i don't know if i would play it that much. But since you can get opposing force to work on dc I think I'll have to try to get it to work.

the dc version has blue shift with it, so that should keep u playin for a bit.