Page 1 of 1
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:15 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Spawn is an incredible game, and probobly the best game available using the Spawn license. Whats so cool about it, is that its a 3D third person DM game, designed for use with an arcade stick. Works great with an arcade stick. If anyone has ever wondered why this game never had analog stick support for any free aiming, this is why.

Last edited by lordnikon on Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 pm
quote : #2
Wow, I didn't realize it was online in Japan - that would have totally rocked. Spawn is indeed a great game. It reminds me a bit of Outtrigger, because the maps are so tight, which lends itself to some serious fragging. If you can't find decent copy of Spawn, or if you want a bit of variation on the theme, pick up Heavy Metal Geomatrix, which is also from Capcom. It has similar maps and gameplay and is also loads of fun. Plus, it's dirt cheap.

Anyway, I've never tried Spawn with an arcade stick, and that's a no brainer since the game originated in the arcades. I have to give that a shot.

How are my little crackers doing today?
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:20 pm
quote : #3
oooo me either, I was totally unaware that it was compatible with the arcade stick... .... mwuahahaha :: scurries off to go play Spawn ::
Posted:
Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:26 pm
quote : #4
I like it because it's a lot like my other favorite Dreamcast 3rd person DM game, Heavy Metal Geomatrix. They're both put out by Capcom, so they both probably use the same engine.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:19 am
quote : #5
I think a big reason these are "timeless" classics. Is that they run at 60fps. Spawn runs so smooth!!!!!!! And the zoom in on the character models after the match is over, and that dope music. I find it hard to go back and play some of my older N64 games. For instance I ran Turok 2, with the expansion memory pack. SURE the game looks amazing and almost like a PC game. However the framerate is abysmal! Were talking near 5 frames per second here folks. I can barely even aim...

But Spawn....the FrameRate is so goddamn smooth.

Spawns controls are sort of akward at first, but once you start to get used to them, you start to appreciate the system and get more into it.

I'm a huge fan of limiting control schemes. For instance just take at the VIrtual On series. If you could free-aim in that game like an FPS the game would be ruined.

I think this goes for Spawn as well. You have to play the game within its set limits. This actually increases the difficulty and forces you to adhere to a set play mechanic.
Posted:
Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 pm
quote : #6
I never acepted the bad camera possition in both games. I hate it when the camera targets one enemy and the other enemy hits me in my backyard (and Im not able 2 see him coz the camera is following the one dude...)
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:57 am
quote : #7
Heavy Metal Geomatrix looks like it had it's online facility cuts days before release. Even to the extent of leaving the menus unchanged-still quite visible that everything was in place other than the will whether it be Capcom or Sega..

Topside
unknown
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:29 pm
quote : #8
can sum1 explain 2 me y the online portions keep getting cut from the US versions?! And when you said it looked like they cancelled the online part a day b4 release do you mean you believe the components are still there yet they refuse to host a server or what?

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:08 pm
quote : #9
Type: PAL
Topside wrote:
can sum1 explain 2 me y the online portions keep getting cut from the US versions?! And when you said it looked like they cancelled the online part a day b4 release do you mean you believe the components are still there yet they refuse to host a server or what?

i think it was to do with the way they were set up to work online in japan was either impracticle or impossible to do in the US or other area's.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:05 pm
quote : #10
Holy crap, I saw the JP version of this game in Japantown in LA.... I opted instead for an imported Phantasy Star 3, which was $22.

They had INSANE amounts of sealed imported games there. although a fair amount of their stuff has been resealed, it's pretty easy to tell which are factory sealed.

They had everything from Famicom to Genesis/Megadrive to Saturn, PS1, and Dreamcast. IN ADDITION, they had music CDs, Manga, Anime. It's like a dream come true.

Import stuff is dirt cheap there.

phredreeke
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:22 am
quote : #11
Isn't Spawn based on the Outtrigger engine anyway? I recall reading it somewhere.
Posted:
Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:42 pm
quote : #12
phredreeke wrote:
Isn't Spawn based on the Outtrigger engine anyway? I recall reading it somewhere.

No, they do not use the same engine.