Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
hebe
rank 13
Posted:
Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:08 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
What is your favorite RPG on DC and why? There aren't many so I figured this wouldn't count as a list thread. Wink

Okay the choices are:

EGG
Evolution
Evolution 2
Grandia II
Phantasy Star Online
Record of Lodoss War
Rent A Hero
Skies of Arcadia
Time Stalkers
Draconus
Shenmue
Shenmue II

--------------

If I've missed any out tell me.

Skies of Arcadia most definitely gets my vote, with competition from Shenmue and Shenmue II.! Very Happy I love that game, it's a genuine masterpiece. The game is truly immersive, and it boasts some great graphics (on an artistic scale) and sound effects; the awe-inspiring, epic storyline is gripping and awesome in every sense of the word. And I'm still on disc 1!!! This game is looong!

EDIT:I just added Draconus for you Lozz. Somehow I missed that one.

Last edited by hebe on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:11 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, technically, Phantasy Star Online is an MMORPG, but it still gets my vote. Mainly because of its replay value, but also because of how well it was put together. I haven't completed many RPGs for the Dreamcast, but given the character customization, the very large amount of in-game items, and its ability to download additional missions, it definitely took the ball and ran with it compared to the other games, but then again, those are characteristics of an MMORPG.

Wasn't Shenmue an RPG?

charmed_699
rank 21
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:09 am
quote : #3
Its funny only one from that list I played was Phantasy star online so it gets my vote for sure , there's so many special memories about the game , I even finally seen an old friend yesterday on it and we played together after months of a hiatus.

Oh and dreamcast its funny but shenmue was so special they gave ithe game a new genre which was F.R.E.E standing for free reactive eyes entertainment. cool or what ? Smile

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:01 am
quote : #4
Type: PAL
the lack of shenmue or shenmue II on that list is disturbing it definately is an RPG albeit under the guise of that silly made up genre.
unknown
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:40 am
quote : #5
skies of arcadia is the single most awesome rpg of our time in my humble opinion. there are soo many things to do in that game that its simple astonishing it was released on dreamcast. done by the bods behind panzer dragoon saga, the greatest rpg of its time. soa has soo much story, depth, variety, adventure, humour, action and plain old fashion rpg side quest fun and weapon upgrades that it never gets old. it is actually a whole other world. you can visit any continent you want, hell you can even fly under most of them and find hidden things no one would know about. put simply, soa is THE rpg for dreamcast fans and should be in every dreamcast fans collection.
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:11 am
quote : #6
gotta love pso, mainly because of the graphical capabilities and online play.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:16 pm
quote : #7
TIE. Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II. During summer, I put over 30 hours into both of these games (I'm near the final boss in Grandia, and not even done with the first disc of SOA). Both of these games, given the recent trend of 10+ hour RPG's, are long and rewarding. I became enthralled with both at the exact same time, I'd play one for a week, get stuck, go to the other and play it for a week. They kind of play off each others weaknesses. Both have okay stories, and both are visual feasts (albeit for different reasons). The dungeons are cooler in SOA, but the combat is much more involving in Grandia. Exploration is more fun in SOA, but the voice acting is better put together in Grandia. I suggest you get both games immediately. They satisfy any RPG want in you.
rank 13
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:02 pm
quote : #8
mcmonkey wrote:
the lack of shenmue or shenmue II on that list is disturbing it definately is an RPG albeit under the guise of that silly made up genre.

Why can't a game have it's own genre? Why can't we add new genres to the list? Why do we always have to keep via a set list? Is change allowed???
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:11 pm
quote : #9
hebe wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:

Why can't a game have it's own genre? Why can't we add new genres to the list? Why do we always have to keep via a set list? Is change allowed???

we can have games that are of a unique genre (like killer 7 and to some degree metriod prime in my opinion) but Shenmue is not one of them. Shenmue is more of a blend of graphical adventure games and an rpg, this whole F.R.E.E. stuff is just crap (i think FREE stands for full reactive eye entertainmaint).

best RPG on that list for me is PSO as its the only one ive played on the DC Mr. Green
rank 18
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:26 pm
quote : #10
For me its a tossup between Skies of Arcadia and PSO. I would probobley choose Skies in the end though.....
unknown
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:32 am
quote : #11
pso is a good game to play online and it has loads of wicked items and weapons and missions but no real direction or story. that isnt to say i dont love it to bits because i do, i love the freedom that game gives but i prefer a game with a heart and structured story that has an ending sometimes. and skies of arcadia is about the best for me. followed closely by grandia 2 which is just a monster of a game, but not quite on the scale of soa. but hey, to each his own huh guys? life wouldnt be any fun if we all liked the same thing.
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:45 am
quote : #12
Chrono Trigger ruined RPG's for me, i cant play one without comparing it to CT.
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:59 pm
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U/C
Grandia II for me, hands down. Although it had a rather 'generic' storyline, the music was nothing short of epic, the graphics were beautiful, the character development and interaction was top notch, and the overall game was just a real fun-going experience. Not to mention I love games where the main character is a total sarcastic dick. I just find it hilarious and Ryudo's personality I thought was so well thoughtout and I thought all of his dialogue was very cleverly written that I couldn't help but fall in love with him. Not only that but I'll admit that I'm a total sucker for the "tough" protagonist defeating evil for the "innocent" priestess. And although some people may have thought Elena was annoying I thought she was a great character and just fit the game's feel and plot so well.

But that's my take on everything. Of course I don't want to leave out Skies because that was another monumental RPG and if I hadn't played Grandia II first I probably would've ended up liking SoA more. ... And I can't go without giving Elemental Gimmick Gear some credit because I thought it was a excellent game as well - i love the art direction in which they took that game; I thought it was really great.
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:50 pm
quote : #14
Granida II's greatness can only be rivaled by that of Skies of Arcadia. They both share fun and innovative gameplay. If I had to choose one that I felt the strongest about, I'd have to say Grandia takes the cake. Grandia's battling system and characters are the two really strong elements that make the game easily one the best and underrated games of our era. Althought skies didn't really have strong characters and the battling was sub-par, the overall creativity and expanse of the skies of arcadia world make it another videogame great

Phobos
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:43 am
quote : #15
Grandia II. I'm not that big on RPG's in general, and Grandia II is a very user friendly & simple game. Battle-system is easy & fun, characters are fun & you don't have to read a lot. Cool special moves, clean graphics & a simple story, all the stuff I want in a RPG.

I will start with Skies of Arcadia soon though. Played it a couple of years ago but lost interest after a couple of hours, heard that the first part of the game is easily the most boring, so will give it another try.