Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:20 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
When I first heard of Hundred Swords back in 2002 I was extremely excited due to the game's concept, look, and the overall direction Smilebit seemed to be taking the title. First off, considering the DC was never a system known for it's vast RTS library (actually, now that I think about it, there was only one 'true' RTS released stateside... that of course being Conflict Zone) my anticipation not only was growing every time I saw new media updates but the endless possibilities my mind kept conjuring up with the 4 player Online Component had me pumped beyond belief. Unfortunately, it seemed right as the game surfaced there was much skepticism over whether the game would ever see an English release. And even more regrettably the game never did which resulted in, probably one of the titles I looked forward to most during the DC's hey-day, my dreams being completely shattered.

It wasn't until a year or so later that the game did end up reaching the states but it was in the form of an un-marketed, unadvertised, PC-game that was overlooked in such a fashion it almost made me sick. Of course, I can't say much because I never picked the game up until last month, hehe, but the fact remains that the game was so disgustingly overlooked that if you were to ask a casual gamer (or maybe even a hardcore gamer) if they have ever heard of/played Hundred Swords for the PC, they would probably just look at you in a state of utter confusion; which is terribly saddening to me.

Nonetheless, although I finally do have the PC version of HS, I still want to play the original one on my Dreamcast (as many of you, I presume, would like to as well). So, after coming to a great revelation, I realized that I could ultimately make this desire a reality. With that said, I have decided that I am going to do a full script transfer from the PC game and post it on the internet allowing all of you who want to play HS on your Dreamcast to do so, and be able to understand each and every dialogue box. Not only this, I do know a bit of hiragana and kanji so I plan on translating the menus as well. In other words, I'm devoting however long it takes me to copy the entire script, menus, and create a decent walkthrough of the game as well for any of you interested in actually playing the Dreamcast version of Hundred Swords.

Now I don't know if any of you are interested in this idea, I just thought I would post something here to get some feedback in regards to whether or not I should take on this task and whether or not any of you would like this to happen. So if any of you could give me some feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.[/b]
Posted:
Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:41 pm
quote : #2
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes? I've been itching to play HS on the Dreamcast, and actually know what the hell I was doing for a while now. If you could do a translation, I'd be eternally in debt to you.
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:20 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
dude that will be awesome, but you'll need help won't you?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:13 pm
quote : #4
heh, yes there's a good chance that I'll need help considering this 'project' is probably going to be a bit overwhelming because as of right now it's just me and possibly my buddy... And considering I am still in classes until December 5th, I won't be able to work at the rate in which I would like to. Luckily a lot of my midterms just finished last week so I have 3 weeks to really hit this hard, then put it on the "back burner" for about a week while I get my finals out of the way, and then for a month I'll be working furiously on it while I have nothing to do back at my home.

Of course I don't know if I'll get it all done that month but since in January it will be the start of my classes, I'll have a lot of free time as well (because professors don't assign anything at the beginning of quarters). So in other words, yes I will more than likely need some help due to my schedule. hehe.
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:39 pm
quote : #5
I'm also going to be working on this translation. I think it'll be a good contribution to the community.

pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:45 pm
quote : #6
Just a thought. Perhaps when the translation is finished and good, you could ship it off to the homebrew/emulation scene and shop around to see if anyone would like to try to incorparate the translation in the game. I know for a fact it wouldn't be easy, but there is always a chance.
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:47 pm
quote : #7
well if they could rip the game and then replace the coded dialouge with the english dialouge, it could be done. I don't think it'd be too difficult because hundred swords isn't all THAT dialouge-heavy.

NibelheimPromise
rank 11
Posted:
Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:00 pm
quote : #8
you both bring up very, very excellent points... actually pakkit, i never even considered your idea which would be amazing if it could be done. Now if only what serpah said could actually be done, then I don't think the task would be too terribly difficult. Of course, if that couldn't happen, it would require some serious work but even so, judging from what I've witnessed come from the homebrew scene someone out there would be motivated enough to take on the daunting task.
Posted:
Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:07 pm
quote : #9
Well, this has been a while and Nibelheim hasn't posted in over a month, but I thought I'd point out a site where the webmaster hosts translations. There's one released that's kinda finished, and two that are far in development. I just think its pretty cool that people are doing this, and it really helps the import community. <keeping an eye on that SC5 part 2 translation

http://donut.parodius.com/?func=trans&platform=dc