Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm
quote : #46
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I've entered the ping command in Command Prompt several times using the various IPs in the OP, all of which are not responding. I think it is safe to say that these servers are permanently offline.

Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 am
quote : #47
I've read a couple of times where if you ping the servers that they go down and afterwards reboot themselves, could it be that now they are so often pinged that they are constantly rebooting themselves and that is why they no longer work?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2010 11:57 am
quote : #48
Jaesonx5 wrote:
I've read a couple of times where if you ping the servers that they go down and afterwards reboot themselves, could it be that now they are so often pinged that they are constantly rebooting themselves and that is why they no longer work?

No. To have any negative impact on these machines one would have to do something such as a DDOS attack, which would involves tons of bandwidth from multiple locations hitting the machines at once to accomplish. This wouldn't necessarily reboot the machines. It just hikes up the bandwidth usage and prevents anyone from effectively using the machine until the DDOS attack is over.

The most logical conclusion is that the Spain Q3 servers have just been taken offline.
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 pm
quote : #49
Maybe someone should build a little story that could be inserted like a folder into a Dreamcast Half-Life Mod game about the Forgotten Room inside the Abandoned Offices of The Once Great and Powerful Creators of the Cherished Sega Dreamcast.
Saturn
rank 11
Posted:
Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 pm
quote : #50
Type: PAL
Ohh dang, also just to be clear. Because they were the Dreamarena servers in Spain, does that mean that the PAL versions of Quake 3 Arena were still online until the servers were closed down?
PSO: Saturn

Selling my Dreamcast Broadband Adapter, contact me via private message if you are interested
Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Thu May 13, 2010 3:52 pm
quote : #51
People from this continent could play on them, but I really couldn't say that I have heard that they were PAL only.
MasquedWarrior
rank 9
Posted:
Sat May 15, 2010 5:14 pm
quote : #52
Saturn wrote:
Ohh dang, also just to be clear. Because they were the Dreamarena servers in Spain, does that mean that the PAL versions of Quake 3 Arena were still online until the servers were closed down?

If what I remember is true, the PAL version tries to connect to some Sega-owned server immediately after it connects to the internet, and then hangs. (It had been offline since April 2004.)