Topic: white label

Page 1 of 1
pakkitman
rank 41
Posted:
Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:50 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Do they play any different than retail games? I'm considering bidding on one, but don't want to take it home and find out it's bugged or not the complete version.
rank 21
Posted:
Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 pm
quote : #2
Dont worry when my cousing knew this games previewer I played loads of dreamcast games not released , and they were all white labels. they play exactly like new games and are the full real deal only no manual or nice covers or anything . Oh by the way also got to keep one white label because of his friend , a copy of aerowings for free and perhaps its very rare but heck it will go with me to the grave not selling it or anything ever ah ah .

hope I helped you and yeah there are way rare games on white label than my aerowings and some even reach high prices on ebay like that flintstone game or even phantasy star version 2 , they are fun to have and are just the real game as well very usefull.

dodginess
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:15 pm
quote : #3
I think charmed_699 is right about the white labels being preview versions sent to magazine publishers - the reason why they are 'white' labels is often because the marketing departments haven't finalised the packaging/on-disk artwork, etc. Looking back at some of my early Official Dreamcast Magazines I see that some of the games featured in the adverts have very different cover designs to what they actually became. It would also have been important that these games don't look like official released versions so they can't be resold by unscrupulous games reviewers - and yes, they *do* exist - I've worked in the trade and met them Smile

I also think that a number of these white label versions are also from in-store game pods. The benefit if you buy these games is the relatively rarity of them rather than any obvious gameplay differences.

dodginess