Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
hebe
rank 13
Posted:
Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:13 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Years ago, when I was very young, the Dreamcast had just come out. I had been begging my parents for a game console, as everyone else had one.(classic school boy phrase) Finally, after I had been the perfect little child for months, we went into town to buy one. All my friends(again, school boy excuse) had a PlayStation, and that's what I was planning to get. THANK GOD I DIDN'T! I had a look round for the PlayStation but then I came across a Dreamcast pod, playing Rayman 2: The great escape. I played it, and all my little dreams were there in that 1 box. (Another reason why I got one was ONE of my friends had one and I played Sonic Adventure, and loved it) So we got one, with Rayman 2 and Sonic adventure.

Hyper hyper hyper! Shocked Shocked Shocked We got home and set it up immediately, only to be forced to wait an hour to let it configure it'self. Finaly after lunch, I had a fight with my brother over who got to play it first, and I won. I loaded up Sonic adventure, and being a little kiddie at the time, struggled with what to chose(50Hz or 60Hz) my dad choose for me eventually.

When I went to school the next day, I bragged about how I had one, and some people were impressed, but the others were not. They said "Dreamcast is rubbish!" "Loser" "Fag", and one person punched me. I tried to convince them it was good, but they ignored me, and bullied me some more. One time I went round a so-called "mate's" house and played on his PS, but then when I commented on the graphics not being as good as Dreamcast, he threw me out.

Now, 5 years later, I have put that behind me. Those people would have moved on to PS2 now, and would have forgotten about the Dreamcast. They would now take the mickey out of Xbox and Gamecube players. Occasionally someone asks me what my favourite console is, and I say Dreamcast, I have a mixture of replies. Here are a few: "What's a Dreamcast?", "Oh yeah the Dreamcast...", "Dreamcast? WTF?!", "Dreamcast?! That's just a peice of old rubbish!". No matter what they say, nothing can change me. If it's a good comment, I agree with them, if it's a "what's a Dreamcast?" question, I feel sorry for them.
If it's "Dreamcast is old, so therefore rubbish", I really don't give 2 shits. I am a Dreamcast gamer, and nothing can change that.

The end of my life story.
Posted:
Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:55 pm
quote : #2
Type: PAL
ive had good experiences with people and my DC (I "tricked" 2 of my mates to get one) but my mates at college tend to think there not as good as other consoles untill i mention that i bought it for only £20.
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:03 pm
quote : #3
I usually get positive reactions when I mention the Dreamcast, along with some questions like, "Wow, there still online games?!" (along with people who want to play two player online with me on Quake, when I have to tell them that this is QIIIA the first online consoles FPS, not Halo), or, "People still make games for the console?", or, "Whoa, it has so many cool games!" Granted, most of them aren't too informed as far as games are concerned, but the ones who are are even more impressed. "Half Life, isn't that unreleased?", "Ikaruga! Sweet!", and I get an ooh every time I show them the accesories. Overall, my Dreamcast hasn't gotten scorned at school.
rank 16
Posted:
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:39 pm
quote : #4
Seeing as how my campus arcade is very Naomi-Oriented, having a Dreamcast makes me feel like a pimp.

In video game stores, I'm known as the Dreamcast guy. If someone tells me they didn't like their Dreamcast I told them they had all the wrong games. And most of the time, I was right.
Posted:
Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm
quote : #5
This story was back in 1999! Today I usually get positive reactions, 1 guy actually bought one because of me, and my love for Shenmue!
Posted:
Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:00 pm
quote : #6
Type: Pal
I am the only person I know in real life who owns a DC.

I work in the university of Bristols students union it is one of the biggest student union buildings in the world. I was once in the lift with a student from the gaming society. We talked about games and I told him in brief about the DC and about its relation to the Naomi. I also told him about the games left online. I think he was pleased to get out of the lift, I think to him I was a geek. You know whats funny, I am kind of proud that a geek thought I was a bigger geek than he was Smile

Laters
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:19 am
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U/C
Lately, I try to avoid getting into the Dreamcast with anyone. Usually they have no idea what I am talking about, and I would just be rattling their ear off with crap they could care less about. This is one of the reasons why I don't take the innitiative to hang out with many of my former friends. I spend most of my time sitting around tooling with various hobbies including art, music, design, programming, games, etc etc. They do not. They are too busy dealing with "real life" stuff, like taking their fiancee out to get something for some dinner party, or watching the news or finding someone else to chit chat with to occupy their time.

And by chit chat I mean, "Hows the weather? Is Bobby doing good in school? I heard 2 people were killed, it said so on the news. I don't know whether I like these shoes, I might take them back. Do you exercise?"

Holy christ...please shoot me in the face immediatly. Mad

I get into conversations with people I have not seen in a while, and they ask "what have you been doing lately?"

... ...

Uhh...breathing?

I just avoid the subject matter altogether, and say "same shit different day". Hoping that they move onto something else.

What am I going to say? ... "I'm trying to get this master list working, with this chat server, which I recently got working but these lobbys arn't showing up. Then I have to log these packets from such and such. Oh and then trying to get this trig to work in action script so that this one interface will work right."

To them, it's like I am talking in Egyptian or something.

Even when I am at a game store, and ask where their Dreamcast stuff is, or the subject comes up, they just stare at me with a blank stare. Not even comprehending anything I am saying.

The Video Game Hobby and Culture has recently segmented into "hardcore" niche gamers who are very seriously into video games, and then the mainstream gamer who just buys the top hits and has no real idea of what other games or systems are out there. During the 16-bit era pretty much any gamer out there was into gaming for real. Once we got into the 3D graphics, sequal driven world of games, then the seeds were planted for the superficial mainstream sheep who just swallow whatever the industry throws at them. Recently the divide has become much more extreme. No longer is this a "fine line", but now a clear demarcation between the two.

Even when you do find someone who remotely knows what the Dreamcast is, they will say "hell yea Jet Grind Radio is great! I own crazy taxi as well" and that is all they know of the DC. The same 5 or so stereotypical mainstream hits that are always associated with the Dreamcast and people assume that is all the DC ever had.

So more often than not you will have a hard time finding someone who you can relate to in real life when it comes to the Dreamcast, or the Video Game Hobby in general.
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:01 am
quote : #8
Type: Pal
Yes I agree all too much with that. I think the gaming society here at the union are hardcore gamers but they are PC gamers rather than console gamers. They bring in a load of machines and network them all and I imagine play a lot of FPS and stratagy.

Laters
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:05 am
quote : #9
Also, I wasn't trying to say that a gamer that isn't up to speed on every gaming platform isn't a diehard. Here is a great example that shows the difference between a true gamer, and a sheep.

If you said that you play the Dreamcast:

A true gamer would say: "Oh, really? I havn't played much of that system, what games are you playing on it?"

A sheep would say: "Pff Dreamcast HA thats like so old man, you need to upgrade."

Neutral
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:29 am
quote : #10
lordnikon wrote:

A sheep would say: "Pff Dreamcast HA thats like so old man, you need to upgrade."

Neutral

hahahaha that is EXACTLY what most my friends would say , i just try to avoid the subject of dc when im with my friends. I mean im only 14 so my friends were all pretty young when it was released. I'm glad these forums are up, otherwise id just talk meaningless crap over MSN all night....
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06 am
quote : #11
ive never heard a bad thing said about the DC, everyone ive ever met has always been in the "Dreamcast, i remember that, they looked cool" camp, probably just to do with how open minded people are.
rank 7
Posted:
Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:15 pm
quote : #12
MY girlfriend whos not really an up to date gamer really well yeah she has ps2 xbox plays rpgs so not really a casual games DELIBERATELY says OH dreamcast is shit its so old i show her the graphics OH THEYRE SHIT and then i showed her shenmue 2 for xbox and screen shot for dc and told her the oppsite way round and shes like oh the xbox one is better and im like THATS THE DREAMCAST ONE BITCH shes such a faggot grrrr and my brother who actualy bought the dc halves with me on l aunch says THATS SHIT and he knows bout stuff hes played snes nes megadrive hes not just a gamer that plays just current gen and never any thing before he knows stuff but hes still a knob alot of my friends like dreamcast cos of me heh

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:21 pm
quote : #13
HUmar_Dean wrote:
MY girlfriend whos not really an up to date gamer really well yeah she has ps2 xbox plays rpgs so not really a casual games DELIBERATELY says OH dreamcast is shit its so old i show her the graphics OH THEYRE SHIT and then i showed her shenmue 2 for xbox and screen shot for dc and told her the oppsite way round and shes like oh the xbox one is better and im like THATS THE DREAMCAST ONE BITCH shes such a faggot grrrr and my brother who actualy bought the dc halves with me on l aunch says THATS SHIT and he knows bout stuff hes played snes nes megadrive hes not just a gamer that plays just current gen and never any thing before he knows stuff but hes still a knob alot of my friends like dreamcast cos of me heh

Use periods. <<< Its a dot at the end of a sentance. Using periods will help users read your replys better.
Posted:
Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:12 pm
quote : #14
HUmar_Dean wrote:
MY girlfriend is not really an up to date gamer. she has a ps2, xbox, plays rpgs; she's not really a casual gamer. she DELIBERATELY says "OH dreamcast is shit its so old" i show her the graphics" OH THEYRE SHIT" and then i showed her a shenmue 2 screen shot for xbox, and a screen shot for dc and told her vice versa. shes was like "oh the xbox(dreamcast) one is better" and im like "THATS THE DREAMCAST ONE BITCH" shes such a faggot grrrr. my brother who actualy bought the dc halves with me on launch says "THATS SHIT". he knows bout stuff, hes played snes, nes, megadrive. he's not just a gamer that plays just current gen and never any thing before, he knows stuff but hes still a noob(?). alot of my friends like dreamcast cos of me, heh

i cleaned up his post to what i think he was trying to say...

HUmar_Dean
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:37 am
quote : #15
Eh,sorry guys.But i do know what a full stop is.