1, 2, 3  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:49 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Happy New Year everyone. This has been a long time coming. But now, oddly on Jan 1st, it is now completed. It has taken me an enormous amount of time to formulate exactly what I am trying to say in regards to homebrew pso servers. I started working on this back in October, and over the past month kicked it into high gear. You have seen a variety of threads or commentary over the past year and a half on the forums from me on this issue. However they never really covered "everything" and most posts were unorganized sloppy rebuttles in an attempt to say what I wanted to say, but not drag on the issue. Its very hard to comment on something but try to avoid it at the same time.

An announcement thread is now up in the PAL PSO forum. It is extremly long, so take the effort sometime to read it. After doing so you are more than welcome to add comments in THIS thread. The announcement thread is locked, and will subsequently be put up in the Guides section as well. This could be seen as a very boring read...so you have been warned.

Nonetheless, please do read the entire article before posting comments. One of the biggest problems people have made in the past is that they never full read, but skim my comments and thus always got it wrong as to what I was trying to say. People think I somehow dislike Schthack or pso homebrew technology. This has never been the case. So please read the entire article.

The article should clear up everything once and for all, and I hope people will better understand my stance on the issue.

EDIT: Just right now I was screwing with the stylesheet to see if I could change the topic text to look better for when large articles are posted. This site uses a tinted white font on a black background, so huge posts can seem a bit taxing on the eyes. I actually like the font size and type that is used for posts. Just that in massive posts it really does make it hard to read a long thread since the scheme is white on black. Well in the end every combination I tried made the site look terrible. What I finally came up with was just adding 3 centered dashes every few paragraphs. This makes all the difference in the world, and I will make sure to use this in future "mega" posts so your eyes dont cave in.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:33 am
quote : #2
I know we've had our share or unclear discussions about this before but I totally understand what you're saying, and agree with you in full. It's weird, Dreamcast seems to be the only system I want to play PSO on for whatever reason. I was about to get it for Gamecube but I think i've decided to create a new character for DC and get the PAL version.

-Rob.
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:04 am
quote : #3
Type: PAL
ive always been intreeged by the hombrew servers, but its nice to see that this site will be sopporting PAL PSO untill its death.
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:58 pm
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U
of course nikon you know my standings and i love the homebrew servers. I dont mind and agree with how you are runinng you site so its all good. Understandable that we cant offer support here to help users get on, but in the end I hope we can. A forum would be nice to list updates about the new quests and such and maybe game organization. But I assume that would be out of the question untill the servers go down in JP and EU. Sucks that you cant get ahold of more recent server software to host a ship, but only way to get that is to be an active GM and I know you dont have the time for that. This is biggest online gathering of DC online gamers around so im glad you are providing links to info about the servers.

Its not like we are setting up homebrew starlancer servers while the game is still up. so it makes sense.

Either way in the end it will all be fine. If ya love PSO play it any way you can.

crazyBigDan
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:27 pm
quote : #5
i totally agree with the discision of three hyphens... two would be too little and four would be overkill... three is perfect

i admit that at first i did not want to mention that i had played on the homebrew server for fear of being disliked...

but in truth i want to get EU pso v2... which reminds me... i got a request....

amazon.co.uk has like several copies for EUv2... amazon.co.uk also only ships to the UK...
so would someone from the UK be willing to buy one and ship it to me in America if i paid them enough to do it?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:48 pm
quote : #6
Nico0020 wrote:
Understandable that we cant offer support here to help users get on, but in the end I hope we can. A forum would be nice to list updates about the new quests and such and maybe game organization. But I assume that would be out of the question untill the servers go down in JP and EU.

Yea its out of the question, says so right in the article. Last major paragraph...........................

Nico0020 wrote:
Sucks that you cant get ahold of more recent server software to host a ship, but only way to get that is to be an active GM and I know you dont have the time for that. This is biggest online gathering of DC online gamers around so im glad you are providing links to info about the servers.

Even if there was updated software available right now it wouldn't change anything. OC will be dedicated PAL PSO until its demise. Also, I don't need privelaged access to host a ship, as I am never planning on "hooking in" to the main hub of PSO Homebrew Servers. The article clearly comments on this as well...

Nico0020 wrote:
Its not like we are setting up homebrew starlancer servers while the game is still up. so it makes sense.

Starlancer doesn't have a history of cheating and VMU corruption. For the millionth time I could care less how many newly coded servers spring up for other games. I support them instantly.

PSO is an entirely seperate and unique case, and I treat the situation differently than any other Dreamcast Online game specifically because of the games sordid past.
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:08 pm
quote : #7
Type: NTSC-U
heh sorry on some of that. i read it last night and wrote this morning. dont get me wronge though, i support exactly what youare doing.

though i would actully like to get PAL PSO if i could find someone in the UK wiling to do the same Mr. Green

you know adding the the v2 i alreayd play, GC PSO+, and the xbox one i never play. man i have too many versions of this game.

Last edited by Nico0020 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm
quote : #8
Type: Pal
Just thought I would say I have read it. I have a number of opinions about all versions of PSO but I feel its not worth making them public as Onlineconsoles has made clear it position and it is a position I am happy to support.

I have played on the homebrew servers, one other OC member once hosted a homebrew server which I also played on once. Homebrew servers work adequatly, thats all I will say. Whilst it is up I will 100% play on the Pal servers When the Pal servers are down I may play on Homebrew servers (This includes non permanent server shut downs).

Laters

Edit: I will play on the 50htz servers before the Homebrew servers.
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:41 pm
quote : #9
I can honestly say, I have played on both sets, and I will continue to play on the PAL servers until they go down. Occasionally I will go the other option to backup my character, but since I've got the PAL version I haven't made a single game there. There are some other advantages to PAL other than what Nikon pointed out. The official servers have a higher droprate than the homebrew servers. Also there are quests like Famitsu Maximum Attack that aren't available there. And since I've came to the official servers I have only met up with 1 hacker, and he wasn't malicious. I have not once got FSOD on the official servers either. So, it really is advatageous to play on the PAL servers if you're a sincere legit player.
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:14 pm
quote : #10
I been playing both legit and hacked online(PC) and legit on DC(offline) presonally, i like it all but i would have the respect to not screw someone whilst playing hacked and they r trying to play legit. Meaing i wouldnt drop hacked weapons to a noob who has no idea what hes picking up. And i also wouldnt join a game if they r all wanting to play a legit game. There is more respect in DC NTSC then your people let on to make it, cause im not the only one who does the same. Yes there are ignorant people who hack and just mess with people and are malicious. On the other hand, think of this... Theres only a 4 player limit to a room. Why not organize your team here, and if need be, join schthacks, password protect your room. Simple. Its not hard to play the game the way you like, it just takes steps. Hell, schthack even has server software where u can launch your own server, and if you need a key for your game, just email him and he will send u one. As far as i see it(IMO) Sega is gonna screw us all again and drop the PAL server for PSO PAL. If it lasts any longer then another year or two, i will be amazed. But like i said, imo... I support it. Cause reguasrdless, theres gonna be hackers in EVERY game, as long as its a public game. Hell, even in private games ppl cheat. Im not endorsing it, just speaking the truth of the matter. Think about it Question Take a second...DING! Exclamation Razz Wink

Besides i just want more people to come so i actually know who im playing with Razz Cause i can play the NTSC version all day, i just dont have PAL. Sad
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:03 pm
quote : #11
yes actually i am ordering the ntsc v2 Cool but nikon you keep doing what ur doing i tottaly support you Smile i wish i had the money and the time to order the PAL version but i dont.Yus sega will probably screw us over sooner or later but i totally support you nikon.
Xbox live: JTKallDay
RobJohnson
rank 8
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:05 pm
quote : #12
Imp@ct you've failed to mention that you can be effected in a full or closed game even if the person hacking is outside of your game in the lobby, game crashers ect. It's pretty lame and while i've had some good memories on the hacked servers, i've had plenty of bad.
Posted:
Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm
quote : #13
Nico0020 wrote:
heh sorry on some of that. i read it last night and wrote this morning. dont get me wronge though, i support exactly what youare doing.

though i would actully like to get PAL PSO if i could find someone in the UK wiling to do the same Mr. Green

you know adding the the v2 i alreayd play, GC PSO+, and the xbox one i never play. man i have too many versions of this game.

I know you understand and support the position of the site. I just had to bring it up to read the article because I'm not trying to give off the impression that people could bypass the article and just comment and I would reply with detailed reponses. So, sorry if you felt like I was coming down on you. I was trying to set an example more than anything.

IMP@QT wrote:
Yes there are ignorant people who hack and just mess with people and are malicious. On the other hand, think of this... Theres only a 4 player limit to a room. Why not organize your team here, and if need be, join schthacks, password protect your room. Simple. Its not hard to play the game the way you like, it just takes steps. Hell, schthack even has server software where u can launch your own server, and if you need a key for your game, just email him and he will send u one.

Did you read the article? I clearly stated that. All of the above are steps I see are entirely unecessary. We shouldn't have to do this. I am tired of having to change the way I play Phantasy Star Online because of other players. Instead, I am opting to do whatever it takes to run a community, and services where this stuff isn't necessary. Users should be able to sit in lobbys and chat with one another and enjoy PSO without any fear of corruption or acquiring dupes.

I went over all of this in the article in great detail.

IMP@QT wrote:
As far as i see it(IMO) Sega is gonna screw us all again and drop the PAL server for PSO PAL. If it lasts any longer then another year or two, i will be amazed. But like i said, imo... I support it.

Its up, it runs great, and sega gives us customer support as well. We have no reason to believe sega will screw us. Unlike some others....we arn't "pissed off" at sega. Sega of Europe treats us right. If the PAL servers go offline, so be it. Were on bonus time as it is. But for as long as they are up, they will be this websites home.

IMP@QT wrote:
Cause reguasrdless, theres gonna be hackers in EVERY game, as long as its a public game. Hell, even in private games ppl cheat. Im not endorsing it, just speaking the truth of the matter. Think about it Question Take a second...DING! Exclamation Razz Wink

Think about reading the article? I commented on this as well. 4th major paragraph from the bottom.

--

Too anyone else coming to this thread, please read the article. I just don't feel I should have to write everything 2 times because people are lazy. If you are too busy to read it, or don't want to, which is entirely ok, then don't reply please.
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:15 am
quote : #14
U-235 wrote:
I can honestly say, I have played on both sets, and I will continue to play on the PAL servers until they go down. Occasionally I will go the other option to backup my character, but since I've got the PAL version I haven't made a single game there. There are some other advantages to PAL other than what Nikon pointed out. The official servers have a higher droprate than the homebrew servers. Also there are quests like Famitsu Maximum Attack that aren't available there. And since I've came to the official servers I have only met up with 1 hacker, and he wasn't malicious. I have not once got FSOD on the official servers either. So, it really is advatageous to play on the PAL servers if you're a sincere legit player.

Wrong.

Droprates are encoded onto the disc, SCHTHACKS/SEGA servers do not mess with the file on the disc. This isn't PSO:BB.

Famitsu Maximum Attack is up on SCHTHACK servers.

I have never gotten FSODed on SCHTHACK's server and I play every day now.

but to each his own

U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:16 pm
quote : #15
Well I haven't played on the hack servers in a long time. But I know for a FACT that the droprate is different. Please don't comment on the PAL servers if you don't play and really know what it's about Jizz Missle. Yes a lot of it IS encoded on your disc, but when you bring it online all the information and such is on the servers. Like I said I have gathered my info because I have actually played on both sets of servers, and when I left, Famitsu Maximum attack was not on there. I have had 10x better experience on the PAL servers. I have gotten FSOD on schthack *too many times to count*. Like RobJohnson said, IMP@QT a malicious hacker does not have to been in the team to cause problems for your. In addition to this, the people on the PAL servers are a lot nicer than the ones on SCHTHACK. I'll admit at first I disagreed with onlineconsoles sanctions on homebrew PSO, but after playing the PAL servers I fully support it. Think about it, wouldn't you rather play PSO on Sega's official servers the way it was MEANT to be played? I know I do.

edit: Yes IMP@QT we know that Sega will eventually drop the servers. I don't see it as "screwing us". It's all about business sense. Would you keep something going you weren't making any money off of? Yes we are on "borrowed time" as Nikon put it, and I for one am going to enjoy all of it I can. Also guys it might be duly noted that Schthack himself has been on the PAL servers, so if it weren't for the PAL servers, you guys on his server wouldn't have Famitsu Maximum Attack OR *any* downloadable offline quests. Sure it's nice knowing I have somewhere to go when the PAL servers do go down, but until that time, you can bet my PSO time will be on the PAL servers.