Topic: F355 Challenge is now offline

Page 2 of 2
james_uk
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:47 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
I bought a steering wheel for this game last year and played it a bit online but never really got that good, I don't know if any of you remember me, I also went on tonight expecting a few to be on but was puzzled by the lack of numbers online, really sad to see this game go down the pan cause it really was one of AM2's greatest masterpieces! Hopefully someone can pull Sega's arm and get it back somehow.

Cheers,
James

Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:23 pm
quote : #17
I'm absolutely gutted... I haven't played since September as I don't have a phone line at university but I had always planned on going back on at the first possible opportunity.

I would just like to say thanks to all the regulars that I played over the last couple of years.

You guys would turn up every Tuesday and Thursday and without fail, the racing would be close and full of adrenaline pumping moments, it sucked me in more than any other race game. The game was the online crown for Dreamcast as far as I'm concerned as none of the other games had such a die hard fan base and I have never played another game that required such skill.

:'(

I still have the memories of clammy hands on steering wheels/analogue sticks, the feeling of shaving 0.1 secs off a time and the anticipation of waiting for the replay to load.

Smile

LBI Surf
rank 4
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:16 pm
quote : #18
Damn, I really wanted to play this game online. I was planning on buying it... I'll probably still do so, but the online capability was one of the big reasons I wanted it. Sad
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:37 am
quote : #19
F355 Challenge is still an absolutely fantastic driving game and essential for any Dreamcast collection. Oh, and it also is fully system link compatible, so that really adds to the multiplayer/arcade experience too.

You should definitely buy F355 Challenge. It offers some of the most realistic racing experiences available in a video game.

How are my little crackers doing today?
LBI Surf
rank 4
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:48 pm
quote : #20
I don't know any one else who has dreamcast anymore, though, so the systemlink won't do much good. I do have a friend who loves racing games though, so he'll put up some good races on normal multi-player.

p.s. - I haven't read anything about this on the forum, so don't get mad if it's already been discussed, but is there a program to make the system link playable via online (much like Gamecubes WarpPipe)?
Posted:
Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:13 am
quote : #21
Type: NTSC-U/C
No there is not anything available to tunnel the Dreamcast Online because the DC uses a different method than other consoles. The GameCube uses TCP/IP Local Area Network to do LAN. Just like a PC would.

The Dreamcast however uses a proprietary serial cable located on the back right side of the machine (if you are looking at it from the back). You can link 2 systems together to play F355 Challenge together. I would recommend picking up a Dreamcast on the cheap if you can find one, and then importing a Dreamcast VS Cable from an import site. If you shop right, it would set you back a maximum of 40 bucks or so.

I should point out you need 2 copies of the game. So, if you already own an original of the game, you could look around for a backup of the game to do system link with.

This is a pretty elite setup, since basically you are getting virtually the same experience that you would if you were at the arcades. Since your friend is into racing games, you would atleast have someone you could play with :]
Posted:
Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:59 pm
quote : #22
Ah, ok. It's a shame that there isn't anything to tunnel the DC. But hey, you never know what the future will bring.
I'm definitely going to pick this game up anyway, it's actually my friend's (the one who likes racing games) favorite racing game in the arcade.
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:20 am
quote : #23
I know your busy Nikon, but has there been any progress with this game coming back? I know you have stated that you didn't want to give any false hope. I never really played this game, but it's sad that it's been around for a while and just recently taken away from us. Any info appreciated.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:22 am
quote : #24
There has been no progress with F355 that I have heard of. The only thing that happened was an internet rankings script, however the people that coded it refuse to publically release it. Which is very unfortunate.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:41 am
quote : #25
You can reach this script, called Matchingservice, if u follow this link:

http://matchingservice.dcarena.de/

u can up and download ur f355 saves, msr trials, and pso screenshots there
u only need to go online with ur DC ( planetweb, dreamkey, xdp, or different "ingame-browser", everything work).
feel free to use this

roman
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:33 am
quote : #26
I couldn't begin to describe how much fun i had online with this game. Truly great experiences-maybe the best on DC.

I've had the game system-linked for years but two 14inch portables weren't doing the job.

I wanted the Arcade experience so started looking for (cheap!) VGA enabled widescreen TV's. Finally found what i wanted in the shape of two Hitachi 32" Widescreens with VGA inputs. Old but great pic quality esp VGA.

The first reaction on setting it up was ******** ***** ******* it's ***********!!!! Great stuff ! Exclamation Smile

The Widescreen mode in the game is used - makes it harder for a while but you get used to it. Not the complete wraparound experience of the 3 screen Arcade version, but it's close!.

So it's offline now but still having great fun with the game. The only problem is the size of the TV's. A bit of a tight fit in the room.

I've only got one copy of VOOT, so can't try it but looking forward to that as well.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 am
quote : #27
Wow SNK 47. I would love to see some shots of that setup you have with F355. Got wheels setup for that too?
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:02 am
quote : #28
I've got an official wheel and the Madcatz Mc2 - but i always use the pad ! Originally i was going to go the whole hog and incorporate everything into a cab, but i decided that was overkill !

I'll send some pics if i can borrow a scanner or digi camera.

I'll also try and get the model number of the TV's. I will say it took quite a lot of serious googling, traipsing around tv repair shops, junk shops, free ads etc to get the setup - but well worth it in the end. In Britain VGA enabled CRT TV's are like rockin horse poo, but i think in the USA they are much easier to find ?

Anyway here's the model number in case anyone wants to go down the same (tortuous!) route. Hitachi C32WD2TN. It is also equipped with both RGB and S-Video SCART inputs. I never noticed it had surround outputs until i just checked Shocked Now that gives me an idea Smile