Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
I've recently started playing UT on my DC, and have instantly been shocked at how much slowdown there is in the game compared with Q3. Is this normal, did it just have a poor framerate or is my DC struggling to read off the disc in realtime?

It is still a very enjoyable game, but I just can't get into it as much I would like to with the slowdown? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:22 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, in my opinion in runs very well, and I can play any of the maps without a problem, but I can play games with 10fps easily. For others it seems unplayable.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:08 pm
quote : #3
10fps!? jesus man.

On a console, I can tolerate 30fps. But generally, a game does not get the Kingbuzzo seal of approval unless it is constant 60fps.

UT on DC was a decent port for its time. You could certainly do much worse.
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 am
quote : #4
This article here breaks down pretty much everything having to do with UT's framerate:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_ut_performance.php

By using certain maps and tweaking the game slightly you can maintain a solid 45 fps+
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:20 am
quote : #5
TeamXlink wrote:
Well, in my opinion in runs very well, and I can play any of the maps without a problem, but I can play games with 10fps easily. For others it seems unplayable.

I'm with Xlink, the map that I have the most fun playing is 'Face 2,' which incidentally has the lowest frame-rate of any map on the disc. This game, even at its lowest frame-rates, is still enjoyable in my opinion. Mr. Green

Dalore
rank 10
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
Great guide, thanks for the link Nikon. I have fond memories of playing this one, and I never got online back in the day, so the missing mode won't be an issue.

I'm not a framerate junkie or anything like that, I still really enjoy playing older titles and I am glad it is a software issue rather than my DC playing up!

I haven't been much of a FPS DM fan since the heyday of UT & QIII, so for me it feels that these games are still the most fun I can have with death match. I'm also loving my new Japanese DC smaller keyboard. So much easier to have on your lap, than the standard full-size qwerty Very Happy

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 am
quote : #7
Unreal Tournament's frame rate was always something that came up when I got three friends together to play Dreamcast.

Lucky, my friends never got critical, and referred to the chugging frame-rate as 'bullet-time' Very Happy