1, 2  Next
mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:04 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Ive been reading things on t'web about this being the last sega licensed game for the DC (i think it got somthing to do with somthing that was written on the sega.co.jp site), but from what i understand there is confusion on the subject (sumthing to do with how it was worded).

So does anyone know wiether this true or mearly speculation?
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:04 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Someone sent me a PM on this as well. The translation was very vague. So far there is no official confirmation that Under Defeat is the last Dreamcast release at this time.
Posted:
Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:46 pm
quote : #3
well if it is true atleast the little white thing will have a fitting end, of course this pressuming that Under Defeat! is any good Smile
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 pm
quote : #4
We have been on Bonus time here for a while now. It is almost mind shattering to think that the Dreamcast is getting new games in 2006. I know other platforms have had long lives. Just look at the nes, snes, or ps1. Even the Saturn was getting some nitch releases in japan well after its lifespan. However, because of the Dreamcast's unique history, and Sega leaving going multi-platform, it is remarkable that we are seeing such releases going well into 2006.

If Under Defeat is the last game, it won't make me flinch in the least. I thought Chaos Field was a miracle when it came out. Now 2 more games that I never thought I would be able to play are coming to my favorite game system.

All I can do is applaud, and feel privelaged as lover of the shmup genre, and the dreamcast, to have access to these titles.
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:44 am
quote : #5
I personnally don't think Under Defeat will be the last game,

recently G-REV declared they were very pleased by the number of preorders of UD (Limited Edition is almost sold out by now!!!)

so I think this will encourage G-REV (and others) to continue the dreamcast adventure for a while...

I also believe that Senkô no Ronde on X360 will badly sell (as this console is very unpopular in Japan, and that Senkô will be drown in the huge number of games in preparation for this console)

so I hope, (I'm sure, in fact Wink ) G-REV are preparing another suprise for us... it's just a question of time -probably the time that microsoft exclusivity on this game lasts-

Keep the faith!

Remember.. who would have bet on under Defeat coming out on dreamcast just a few weeks ago? Cool
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:46 pm
quote : #6
Senko no Ronde probobly will never get released on the Dreamcast. Why? Because companies like G.Rev need to start releasing their games on Next Generation hardware. They can't release games on the GC, PS2, and especially the Dreamcast, forever. These are business's and they develop shmups and consider them real video games, unlike the rest of the industry. The industry thinks shmups are "relics of a bygone era". Which is not the case at all, and they are merely placing a stereotype on shmups due to the trend of graphics from one console generation to the next. Anything 2D or planar in nature is deemed "classic, retro, oldschool".

The reality is that planar games are simply a different medium. Just like paintings vs drawings. They are both still artwork, and neither makes the other inferior. It is a shame the rest of the industry does not see this, because gamers everywhere are under-appreciating games simply because of stereotypical bias.

It is very important that GRev start releasing titles on Next Generation hardware to push their products into the public eye as legitimate titles. The same goes for all of these companies developing shooters.

Also, they won't release it on the Dreamcast because obviously that would cut out a huge demographic from their sales. If your a shmup player and you own a Dreamcast, why even fork over hundreds of dollars just to play Rev X when you could get the original Senko on Dreamcast for 60 bucks? Confining the game to a Next Generation platform ensures that GRev will sell copies to their target market, which is of course, shmup / arcade gamers.

In the end, imagine if we did get Senko? and didn't get Under Defeat? We would still be complaining wishing we had Under Defeat. I have learned to just let Senko go, and realise that in many respects, for us to get Under Defeat, required Senko to go to another platform.

I'm just extactic alone to have Under Defeat on the way next month.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:54 pm
quote : #7
ok, defendable point of view...
but then what's the aim of having released UD on dreamcast?
why did Border down remain exclusive to the Dreamcast?
why continue developping on Naomi board while many other more powerful boards have seen the light of day since then?
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 pm
quote : #8
cabou wrote:
why did Border down remain exclusive to the Dreamcast?

It is no mystery that GRev enjoys developing for the NAOMI. They really support their fans. Because of this not everything GRev does is motivated by money. I can't say for sure why Border Down has stayed a Dreamcast Exclusive. I also can't say why the game hasn't gotten a re-pressing because it is completly sold out. You'd figure GRev would press up more copies of Border Down.

Who knows, maybe the game would make it to another platform in the future. I can't say for sure.

I could speculate though, that GRev wanted Border Down to remain Dreamcast exclusive. However, this is what I want to believe. I have no evidence to back this up whatsoever.

cabou wrote:
but then what's the aim of having released UD on dreamcast?
why continue developping on Naomi board while many other more powerful boards have seen the light of day since then?

I go over a lot of this stuff in the following threads which you can read in de-tail:
http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6169
(3 posts throughout that thread would be wise to read)

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=53875#53875
(large long post about 3/4 down)
Posted:
Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:36 am
quote : #9
ok, thx for the links Wink

by the way, a fiend of mine (talking japanese) translated the SEGA sentence about Under defeat
Quote:
"Dreamcast no saigo wo kazaru no ha,kono soft da!"

which litterally means "here's the soft wich will make honour to the end of the dreamcast"

personally, I don't see here any announce of last ever dreamcast game...
Posted:
Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:45 pm
quote : #10
Yakumo and I put together a letter to sega and grev asking if it was the last dc game a bit over a week ago.

Myself (taking japanese) and yakumo (who's lived in japan for 20 years) can confirm that it does indeed say that it will be the last dc game.

we're still awaiting any work from sega, G.rev, and now Milestone.
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:50 pm
quote : #11
The first company I would be emailing, is the one working on Ring Age. I wonder what they would have to say on the matter, seeing as how they are supposed to still be working on that game?
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:21 pm
quote : #12
Max, the head of Dreamcast-Scene, informed me today that he contacted Milestone about the statement on the Sega Direct page about Under Defeat being the last Dreamcast game.

Their official statement was that they don't think that Under Defeat will be the last Dreamcast game and they already contacted Sega of Japan to secure that Dreamcast games and GD-ROMs can still be produced in future.

Last edited by MetaFox on Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:32 pm
quote : #13
yar, t'is true. let us rejoice!

http://dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/News200602#milestonedenies
rank 44
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:59 pm
quote : #14
oh thank god for that Mr. Green
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:54 pm
quote : #15
That is good news to get some confirmation. Smile

I think GRev may have been saying Under Defeat would be THEIR last game for the DC.

Well this means that my early predictions for why Warashi went with Naomi rather than Type-X may actually be true, and we might see a DC release of it coming.

But, even if Trigger Heart Exelica doesn't make it to DC, I have an inkling that it would come to the Playstation 2. (Seeing as how Shienryu Explosion, and Usagi were released on the PS2.) As long as that game comes out on some platform, that is all I care about. I checked out some footage of the game, and it is looking hot. It has a lot of angular models, similar to Trizeal.