1, 2  Next
[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
jeeez...

Yesterday, my mate came round, and me + him + lil bro decided to go on QIIIA on Dreamcast.
And whenever i play QIIIA on their, i always juse a keyboared and mouse, so, begining as i dont have 3 sets of keyboards and mice, one of us had keyboared(my bro cause he's worst player) and us two had controller.

And i NEVER in my whole life thought i could have SO much fucking fun playing Q3 with a controller!

It was absolutely FUCKING awsome,
The ammount of fun we had was almost endless!!
He came round the next day too, and also today.

The reson i found it most fun, is because its alot more challenging, Unlike with a KB+mouse, you cant exactly have a FULL THROUGH battle if you know what i mean, the way we played was doing shit like letting eachother chase us, then stopping behind a corner and rocketing them,
and stuff like rocketing guns which everyones trying to get,
i absolutely fucking love the way you have to play using a controller!!

Me and him are now very good (in our oppinions)

it used to be like... very hard to strafe in combat, and stuff like that,
but now strafing in combat is nothing, a peice of cake!!!

Its now basicly just like you would play Halo on xbox, i've got used to the feel of it, and the BIG spaces i gotta move my thumbs (even harder for me, im 12 and have ikkle thumbs, lol)

Today we played since school was over, untill now, and at the end of it, we were litrally swetting, all the way through the game we were also making stupid comments, and making eachother laugh..

Sorry if this seems to be spam, sorry if your like: ' well who gives a fuck mate? '
I just thought i'd share this with you

Soon as i get that PC>DC server setup
I'm gonna DEFFONATELY get my a$$ online with Q3, probably the first game i go on!!

P.S.
We meeting again tomorrow for more fragging Razz

Chow for now!

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 pm
quote : #2
Congrats. I'm still learning to use the stick to aim, and the buttons to move. (I somewhat get it, then I go play starlancer, which has an inverted Y-axis) Laughing In any case, yeah, it's a lot of fun. I never really bothered with the PC-DC connection, I just sprung for a BBA, lol. Totally worth it, IMO. I just wish there were more people in my area as interested in the DC as I am. Crying or Very sad Happy fragging!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:55 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
This is not spam [UKR]Adam1902 Smile These are the types of posts I love to read.

It is awsome that you are enjoying Quake III Arena, and rightfully so as it is one of the greatest FPS's ever made. The good thing about Quake 3 is that you can customize the controls to your liking. And it is good to see you getting used to playing with the controller. I also play using the controller more and more lately, trying to get better. Like you said, if you have been playing FPS's on other platforms, it just takes some time to get used to playing that way.

3-4 players on Quake 3 is always best, since in 2 player splitscree, the aspect ratio sort of...cones a bit (distorts). I guess they did that so you could see a bit more of the screen, but it can be disorienting.

Also, this really shows how awesome splitscreen gaming still is. I hate to say it, but online gaming isn't "always" the best solution for multiplayer gaming. Splitscreen gaming still owns and I have a blast everytime my brother or a friend is over to play.

Smurph: Yea I often get flipped around when playing all the different games I have. I try to get the control layouts as similar as possible for most of my FPS's so I don't get as confused, but not every game lets you do that.
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:03 pm
quote : #4
Type: Pal
The main point about this is your having fun Smile and thats what we all like to see here at OC and anyone involved with the DC scene. I personaly am not a splitscreen fan I love my online and also much prefer link to Splitscreen. Shame they didnt make more Link games on DC Sad however if you have 2 ps1's and 2 copys of final doom you could have some more great fun Smile

Laters
Posted:
Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:15 pm
quote : #5
Hehe yea I prefer system link as well. God I wish Outrigger had it........ Crying or Very sad I was mainly trying to stress how, splitscreen is still a viable option for fun, and isn't as obsolete as so many people make it out to be.

And, yes I agree with Blast in that its all about having fun. This is when you know you are truly enjoying gaming. Very Happy
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:41 am
quote : #6
Yeah,
True, the graphics have to be turned on low when you play Split screen, if they didnt, you wouldnt be able to see properly because the framerate wont be good enough, and the DC will get waaay too hot..

I also prefer online gaming too,
But when mates are round, Split screen on the DC is usualy what we do Very Happy

Quote:
This is not spam [UKR]Adam1902 These are the types of posts I love to read.

It is awsome that you are enjoying Quake III Arena, and rightfully so as it is one of the greatest FPS's ever made. The good thing about Quake 3 is that you can customize the controls to your liking. And it is good to see you getting used to playing with the controller. I also play using the controller more and more lately, trying to get better. Like you said, if you have been playing FPS's on other platforms, it just takes some time to get used to playing that way.

Cool,
Took us around 2 days (i think probably about 18houres of actual playing) to get properly used to the controller.
and i agree that its one of the best FPS's ever made, i have Q4 on PC, but i still play QIIIA, because its MUCH faster pased, the players online are lots more skilled, and i like the fact theirs no story line, your just dumped in an arena with some Metal Very Happy
And to be honest i only really play Q4 for the single player missions! (It does have a very nice story!)

Quote:
Congrats. I'm still learning to use the stick to aim

I agree,
it can be pretty hard to get used too, but i reckon i got lots more skillful with it in the past few days, as me and me mate can play a CTF (us 2 VS 2 bots) and if im not mistaken the bots in Multiplayer are level 3/5 difficulty right?
Well anyway on our faverout map to play split with (Revolver) we turned the capture limit to 10, and THRASHED them 10-2 lol!! Very Happy

I think when i get back Online im gonna host a fewQ3 Controller only games on OC Very Happy

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:48 am
quote : #7
Type: PAL
thats pretty much the reason i use a controller, its just plain more fun (in my opinion atleast) Smile
rank 40
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:00 am
quote : #8
Smile Im up for a mouse vs pad contest!
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:16 am
quote : #9
Man...I played for a good few hours with Quake 3, Outtrigger, and Unreal Tournament. The only control scheme that is the same on all 3 games is where you are moving with the directionals, and aiming with the analog stick. I still have a really hard time doing this aiming with my left hand. I think I have decided to just use a mouse and keyboard with outtrigger, and when I feel like using a PAD with Quake 3 or UT, use the criss-cross setup like Golden Eye. Where the analog is turn and move forward / back. Then the face buttons are for strafing and pitch. (Too bad Outtrigger doesn't have an option for a scheme like this)

I usually use mouse and keyboard, but sometimes when I just hop online I like to use controller and just shoot around.
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:25 am
quote : #10
grubensau wrote:
Smile Im up for a mouse vs pad contest!

you and me on quake now!! (you decide time Razz )
rank 17
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:31 am
quote : #11
Just to let y'all know,
Dads putting the motherboared in my PC right now, 1 more step closer to getting online with Q3 with PC-DC server

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:54 am
quote : #12
[UKR]Adam1902 wrote:
Just to let y'all know,
Dads putting the motherboared in my PC right now, 1 more step closer to getting online with Q3 with PC-DC server

are you going to br using a pal DC with set up? if you are it'll be alot slower (cos of the 33k modems in pal DC's)
rank 17
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:53 pm
quote : #13
mcmonkey wrote:
[UKR]Adam1902 wrote:
Just to let y'all know,

are you going to br using a pal DC with set up? if you are it'll be alot slower (cos of the 33k modems in pal DC's)

1) Dont worry, i brought a 56k one ages ago and put it in
2) PC modems Upload at a MAX of 33k, so wether i have 56k OR 33k, it'll still be 33k speed because the PC modems cant through any more than 33k.
3) Dont worry, lag shows up on NO games except Q3 (even when im on my PC, i turn EMule on to make it lag, im used to playing Q3 in lag, i know it sounds weired Smile )

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:41 pm
quote : #14
[UKR]Adam1902 wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:
[UKR]Adam1902 wrote:
Just to let y'all know,

1) Dont worry, i brought a 56k one ages ago and put it in
2) PC modems Upload at a MAX of 33k, so wether i have 56k OR 33k, it'll still be 33k speed because the PC modems cant through any more than 33k.
3) Dont worry, lag shows up on NO games except Q3 (even when im on my PC, i turn EMule on to make it lag, im used to playing Q3 in lag, i know it sounds weired Smile )

yeah i kno what you mean about playing it with lag, TBH if it wasnt laggy i'd probably be alot worse then i am now Laughing
rank 17
Posted:
Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:52 pm
quote : #15
lol,
Aye, i actully dont have a CLUE why i enjoy playing in lag,
I just do...
Maybe because i'm so used to playing on the dreamcast (back when i had 33k modem) i just basicly started to enjoy it more... Laughing