Topic: DNS Numbers....

Page 1 of 1
MeltedIce
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:01 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Can anyone tell me what the DNS numbers are because I can't get a response to the Master Server

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:42 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
DNS numbers simply stand for Domain Name Server. Basically they are what tell your dreamcast that.....www.onlineconsoles.com....has an IP address and what webserver to speak with in order to interact with this website.

Some people have been known to not be able to get the Quake 3 server listing. Question, have you been able to get Quake 3 online atleast? It just doesn't bring up the serverlist....correct?
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:27 am
quote : #3
exactly, i can connect to the isp but the servers don't come up

eunit611
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:57 pm
quote : #4
you dont need them i didnt use them and i connect just fine. the sever works. now. thanks for your help

Samhain
rank 3
Posted:
Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:37 pm
quote : #5
As was pointed out in another thread, some people have trouble detecting servers if they have DNS settings going. Just delete them, you'll still connect just fine, and you'll finally be able to see the servers.

This happened to me, actually. I have my ISP's default DNS settings in, and got the "couldn't connect to master server" warning. I deleted the DNS settings, and immediatly upon connecting again, got 11 servers right off.

I don't know why the DNS settings even matter to Quake 3, I think it might have to do with how it originally connected to SegaNet, but thats an uninformed guess on my part, I'd have to know more about it.

Quake 3 nick:
-Samhain