Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Blast
rank 43
Posted:
Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:59 pm
quote : #31
profile : pm
Type: Pal
Well I will be honest here and say that to me it was obvious from the 2 posts above that nonotthat did not have programing skill. He simply stated that if ID had released or were to release the source code for Q3 then WE and i asumed by WE he ment OC or the general gaming community could re-program Q3 for DC. I have never been trained in mechanics but as an expereinced driver I can often go to a garage and have an idea of what is wrong. BIt like with Maximum pool I knew from experience of 4 years DC online forums and gaming that the game save file to allow online play previously existed and in the end that was proven to be true. May be a different situation for Nonotthat but you get the general idea.

Laters
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:13 am
quote : #32
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was well aware noonotthat probobly had no programming experience. My post was, in some respects, bait.

I was using this as yet another example for people to look at situations realistically, rather than hoping some "mystery" programmer out there is going to make their dreams come true.

noonotthat is a human being just like anyone else. He has the mental capabilities to learn. So when I was saying I couldn't wait to see his progress, I was sort of serious in that statement. I do not see what is stopping him from buying some programming books, and teaching himself about Dreamcast programming and then coding something on the Dreamcast. If this seems like some "daunting task", then that should kick him and other people who read this, back into reality. It is putting him in the same exact shoes that he is putting the programmers into, when he or anyone else brings up these theoretical tech job listings.

As for Quake 3 Arena being "re-ported" to the Dreamcast, this is highly unlikely. For starters, it isn't like the developers who ported Quake 3 to the Dreamcast originally did not have ths source code. They had the source code, and a network development kit and an entire team of developers working to port the game to the DC. There is no way someone will be able to port Quake 3 Arena to the Dreamcast, and have it be as good as the official release. I bet someone might be able to get it running........at 5 frames per second. Plus, network compatibility would be impossible since there is very poor network documentation available at the moment for Dreamcast programming.

Hell, people can't even get Super Nintendo Roms running on the Dreamcast at full speed.

It is highly unlikely that someone would be able to port Quake 3 Arena back onto the Dreamcast again.

EDIT: I will try and bring this up in a less blunt manner in the future. I am not trying to offend anyone, which I don't think anyone should be, but I could understand how some might feel slanted by my comments. I am merely trying to steer away from a line of thought that is counter productive. Most of the progress made with Dreamcast Online was done so by looking at situations with a realistic point of view, and concentrating on the facts available. By following real leads, rather than sitting around going "maybe someone could do this, or maybe someone could do that", actual progress was made.
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 pm
quote : #33
Type: Pal
NO problem I honestly thought you had mis read or mis understood Nonotthats post. I sometimes use irony or sarcasum a bit similar to the previous post you posted in a jokey way on other forums. Often it is mis understood and now having read your last post it seems even I didnt spot that. As communication is 70% body language 22% tone of voice and only 8% the words we use then its easy to see why some forms dont work online all the time.

Laters

Last edited by Blast on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:08 pm
quote : #34
Howdy. I've been away travelling for a while, so I figure this is a good topic to plop back in with. Here's a couple of improvements I would liked to have seen with Q3. We're dreaming, right? Here it goes:

1 Vs. Cable Support - It's been mentioned before, but that feature in a shooter would have been huge on Dreamcast. I still sit on game menus pressing button combos to see if I can make that option magically appear. So far, no luck, but I'll keep trying.

2 Map Expansion Packs - I would have loved to see map expansion packs available with varying terrain and environments. Q3 has a lot of great maps on it, but more is always better, right? That would help extend the game's appeal and variety.

3 Level / Map Creator - Just like with Tony Hawk 2, a level creator would have been fun to play around with. Couple that with downloadable or player exchangable maps, and that would have been really fantastic.

How are my little crackers doing today?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:22 pm
quote : #35
kingofgrills wrote:
1 Vs. Cable Support - It's been mentioned before, but that feature in a shooter would have been huge on Dreamcast. I still sit on game menus pressing button combos to see if I can make that option magically appear. So far, no luck, but I'll keep trying.

hahhahaa I do that too Laughing

kingofgrills wrote:
2 Map Expansion Packs - I would have loved to see map expansion packs available with varying terrain and environments. Q3 has a lot of great maps on it, but more is always better, right? That would help extend the game's appeal and variety.

Possible, but details are currently being worked out on this. Stay tuned...
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:28 pm
quote : #36
lordnikon wrote:
kingofgrills wrote:

hahhahaa I do that too Laughing

kingofgrills wrote:

Possible, but details are currently being worked out on this. Stay tuned...

Nikon, you tease. Wink

By the way, I remembered another thing I wanted to change. In split screen the screen ratio is off, and also the icons are basic icons instead of 3D. I'm not sure if you can do this to net games by enterring codes, but it would help the framerate if I could turn off the 3D icons.
unknown
Posted:
Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:25 pm
quote : #37
lordnikon wrote:
Morph wrote:
I would also like to decrease sheer amount of the graphics, to increase the framerate and draw distance.

I can't remember if the PC version of Quake 3 Arena has this function, maybe it does. On the Dreamcast look at an archway, and then back up. Eventually you will see the polygons in the archway decrease. They already took steps to mitigate the framerate and draw distance as best they could. In-fact Quake 3 has a more consistant framerate than UT. Notice Quake 3 doesn't drop down to 15-20 fps like UT does. It is dead on consistant. And the somewhat "jerky" rendering is indicative of the game engine itself. Quake 3 on the PC even at the highest framerates still has this, hitch to it.

Could the framerate be improved? Yes. But the only way that would happen is if Sega-AM2 re-wrote and ported Quake 3 Arena to the Dreamcast themselves. I have often dreamt of what UT or Quake 3 would be like if they looked and ran like Outtrigger.

Perhaps you expect too much. Cuts could have been made to improve the framerate and # of players. I would have been satisfied with a graphics presentation similar to the PC version on its lowest settings. Sure it looks like butt, but its still better than the N64 and could probably have allowed for flawless 32 PLAYER matches.

So, you can keep your eye-candy, I just want a total frag-bomb Wink
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:07 am
quote : #38
pakkitman wrote:
By the way, I remembered another thing I wanted to change. In split screen the screen ratio is off, and also the icons are basic icons instead of 3D. I'm not sure if you can do this to net games by enterring codes, but it would help the framerate if I could turn off the 3D icons.

Yes I agree, splitscreen should be set to a better view. Does anyone know if changing FOV settings fixes this? I think I will try and see what happens.

I have already tried to set the icons to be basic instead of 3D while playing in a single player / online match. I have been unsuccessfull in getting it to switch. Quake 3 is locked to 30fps so it wouldn't improve framerate, but setting basic icons would help lag because it wouldn't have to synch the item boxes as they move up and down.

Morph wrote:
lordnikon wrote:
Morph wrote:
I would also like to decrease sheer amount of the graphics, to increase the framerate and draw distance.

I can't remember if the PC version of Quake 3 Arena has this function, maybe it does. On the Dreamcast look at an archway, and then back up. Eventually you will see the polygons in the archway decrease. They already took steps to mitigate the framerate and draw distance as best they could. In-fact Quake 3 has a more consistant framerate than UT. Notice Quake 3 doesn't drop down to 15-20 fps like UT does. It is dead on consistant. And the somewhat "jerky" rendering is indicative of the game engine itself. Quake 3 on the PC even at the highest framerates still has this, hitch to it.

Could the framerate be improved? Yes. But the only way that would happen is if Sega-AM2 re-wrote and ported Quake 3 Arena to the Dreamcast themselves. I have often dreamt of what UT or Quake 3 would be like if they looked and ran like Outtrigger.

Perhaps you expect too much. Cuts could have been made to improve the framerate and # of players. I would have been satisfied with a graphics presentation similar to the PC version on its lowest settings. Sure it looks like butt, but its still better than the N64 and could probably have allowed for flawless 32 PLAYER matches.

So, you can keep your eye-candy, I just want a total frag-bomb Wink

I never said anything about eye-candy over performance... .. . .

I am always a strong supporter of performance being #1. My reference to "the only way" the game could run at 60fps if sega-am2 ported it, was just an excuse to bring up how well Outtrigger runs and is developed.
Posted:
Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:33 am
quote : #39
Now if we were to venture into the realm of things that aren't exactly possible, then I think that the thing I would like to see most changed with Q3 is the Gun Lag on a dial-up connection. But since that's a problem with the connection speed and not the game itself, it doens't bother me as much.

The change that would probably go best for Q3 would be everyone having either BBAs or PC/DC connections, and more high-speed Vanilla Servers. Actually, the best change in general would probably be more online players.

Having the ability to play any and all maps in split screen offline would have rocked too. Playing quad-screen limits your map selection drastically.

Speaking of servers, I'm hoping to get my old Celeron back sometime soon (it's with my things at my last house out of state), if that happens, I'll be able to add one more vanilla server to the list.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 am
quote : #40
lordnikon wrote:

I am always a strong supporter of performance being #1. My reference to "the only way" the game could run at 60fps if sega-am2 ported it, was just an excuse to bring up how well Outtrigger runs and is developed.

Never said you did, it was a figure of speech Wink.
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:39 am
quote : #41
Morph wrote:
lordnikon wrote:

Never said you did, it was a figure of speech Wink.

Oh ok cool Smile
Posted:
Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:16 pm
quote : #42
most of my problems with the game stem from the DC itself (i.e. bba, and junk w/e)

but 3 things i would change...

1. the fact that you have to load your character everytime before you go online

2. mayb have included a version quake 1 for free... (its only 65 mb on the pc, so on a GD-ROM... theres more then enough room)

3. the screen ratio for 2 player split fixed and realistic

and if 4. then the max clients uped to like 6 or 8

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:29 am
quote : #43
crazyBigDan wrote:
1. the fact that you have to load your character everytime before you go online

That is definatly something I would want changed. It would be so much better if you could have your data auto-load or choose a default account to auto-load at bootup.
Posted:
Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 pm
quote : #44
Type: PAL
Hi, the Q3A source code was released August 2005 if I remember well. It included the full source for PC Quake 3 v1.32, licensed under the GPL.

pakkitman wrote:

Unfortunately it is not possible in the final retail version because the command to change the icons is not available. In the first development versions it was possible.

noonotthat
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:20 pm
quote : #45
how do you know this about the first development versions?, do you have access to them?