mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 pm
quote : #31
profile : pm
Type: PAL
kingbuzzo wrote:
you forgot the picture where ryo shoots a fireball for no reason and ruins the whole series :p

i thought the whole crazy magic thing was pritty obvious from the ending on shenmue 2 (there's a hint to you kids who havnt finished shenmue 2 Razz )
rank 6
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:52 pm
quote : #32
Kingbuzzo, that was when JCE was developing the game--even then if you saw real gameplay action sequences, it wasn't flaunted at all. Don't worry about those types of things--Suzuki just explained it away by saying he has always been interested in Chinese historical myths such as lots of things already mentioned in Shenmue--Online is just taking it t the magical level, ever so slightly. All that is if they even kept the magic for the new enigmatic Taiwanese developer.

Also, Kingofgrills, AM Plus is just Suzuki's new studio that is developing his new projects. AM2 is still around under a new president [actally a pretty big name and very skilled guy]

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:02 pm
quote : #33
Type: NTSC-U/C
Segafreak_NL wrote:
If it works for anyone..would this be the time to 'log packages''(In Nikon speech). A server for some stuff would be kinda cool. I don't know anything about it though..just an idea.

There is no reason to log packets. Shenmue Passport is basically a "more advanced" web browser. It has a coded interface on the disc itself, and connects to various scripts running on the internet to feed content to the Dreamcast. Such things as, text information for updates, rankings, and download content. The only thing I am concerned about, is if sega fixes the download content and rankings. The interactvity is the main service that Shenmue Passport provides. One such as myself could emulate this interactivity myself, as I am a webdesigner, and could create an experience just as good as Shenmue Passport for Shenmue.

This is another reason why I think it is neat to hang onto web pages and archive them, but in most cases it is somewhat pointless. It is cool for nostalgia, but doesn't really serve a purpose besides this.

The 2 #1 things here are, to take screenshots of the Shenmue Passport pages if you want to have the records of their existance, and also to hang around for download content. I saved the bin file, which I am assuming is the Shenmue Goodies file. I want to DL a finished VMU save and see if I can trade the cans for the char info.

It is the download content that is always the real key.
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:30 pm
quote : #34
Glad to see a positive response to this. I dont think anything negative CAN come out of such great news.

Anyways, most of the news about this can be found here
Posted:
Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:35 pm
quote : #35
segadreamcaster wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:
ive tried it with the pal version and all i get is a message saying "the required data cannot be retrieved at this time. please try again"

Yes thats the mesage I receive as well using the PAL version, all sounds really interesting though Smile

Try again and see what message you get, I think the other regions were updated now as well?
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:35 am
quote : #36
lordnikon wrote:
Try again and see what message you get, I think the other regions were updated now as well?

Yes, you are correct, the PAL version does now show the message, but with a different date the 25/02/06

This all looks really amazing, I an't help but feel that perhaps since Shenmue 3 is looking less likely, perhaps they are giving us what they can, Shenmue in all its former glory? What do you think? Anyones guess though I suppose at this point, but whatever...I like it Smile

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:26 am
quote : #37
we should start trying other game homepages taht were taken down.

hey, you never know...

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:35 am
quote : #38
I think I have the URL's that the 3 version, PAL, JP and US versions are displaying, here ya go:

America: http://passport.shenmue.com/passport_us/man/emg/topics.bin

Europe: http://passport.shenmue.com/passport_eu/man/emg/topics.bin

Japan: http://passport.shenmue.com/passport_jp/man/emg/topics.bin

most interesting

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:14 am
quote : #39
Maybe... Sega is going to release "Shenmue Collection" for the Playstation 2. Then create a pack in Shenmue Passport disc for the PS2, and then the PS2 and Dreamcast would all use the same Shenmue Passport? Logical... but not sure how likely this would be.
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:37 am
quote : #40
isnt speculation fun Mr. Green
rank 41
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:47 am
quote : #41
mcmonkey wrote:

hahhaha it is isnt it Smile, i hope were not just building our hopes up though.

lozz
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:49 am
quote : #42
I though it was said at some point that the PS2 would have struggled to cope with the shenmue games, not enough RAM or something? could be totally wrong but im sure that was spoken of when they originally brought out Shenmue 2 for the XBOX? I guess an XBOX collection would be more likely anyway as they did bring out Shenmue 2 for the platform.

Gotta admit Im in two minds over the original Shenmue coming out on another platform, it might prove to create more interest in the shenmue frnachise and possibly give shenmue 3 a chance, but the DC is getting so low on exclusive top titles, which is a real shame and Shenmue is about the best game left that still remains and exclusive, would be sad to lose it as an exclusive for the Dreamcast Sad

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:50 am
quote : #43
lozz wrote:
mcmonkey wrote:

hahhaha it is isnt it Smile, i hope were not just building our hopes up though.

lozz

Im still baffled as to why its being updated in the first place.

So if anything comes out of this i'll be pleasently suprised either way Smile

If there was to be a rerelease i would imagine there would be some aestetick improvements on the first (it is ungly in places tbh Neutral )
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:22 am
quote : #44
lordnikon wrote:

Ok here, it is back up and working properly. I was also able to download the Shenmue Goodies file. Does anyone know if you could download this a year ago?

nop, that wasn't possible a month ago...
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:27 am
quote : #45
segadreamcaster wrote:
I though it was said at some point that the PS2 would have struggled to cope with the shenmue games, not enough RAM or something? could be totally wrong but im sure that was spoken of when they originally brought out Shenmue 2 for the XBOX? I guess an XBOX collection would be more likely anyway as they did bring out Shenmue 2 for the platform.

Gotta admit Im in two minds over the original Shenmue coming out on another platform, it might prove to create more interest in the shenmue frnachise and possibly give shenmue 3 a chance, but the DC is getting so low on exclusive top titles, which is a real shame and Shenmue is about the best game left that still remains and exclusive, would be sad to lose it as an exclusive for the Dreamcast Sad

NO no no no no. An xbox collection is not more likely, but in-fact impossible to include something like Shenmue Passpot. Shenmue Passport would never be able to run on the XBox because everything network related on the Xbox has to be integrated into "XBOX LIVE" and be all under microsofts control. Xbox Live is a standardized system, and MS has certain restrictions in place on how a developer integrates new features into their network. On top of this MS has no marketshare in japan, and Shenmue is a very well loved franchise in Japan. So by default the Playstation 2 makes more logical sense to release it, especially when the xbox platform is on the way out, and the 360's backwards compatibility is iffy. Sure maybe the games could get released on the xbox, but when you consider shenmue 2 was already released on the xbox as it is, I don't see why anyone would buy a Shenmue 1 + 2 collection if they already own 2. Since the only people that would are diehard fans, and that niche is not enough to justify a release. The one absolute here, is that Shenmue Passport would never happen on the Xbox and still be able to allow Dreamcast interactivity.

The Playstation 2 is an open network, and Sega would be able to do whatever they want. Sega could release a Shenmue Collection on the Playstation 2 in all regions and have it just as functional as the Shenmue Passport on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue could run on the Playstation 2 without any problems. And anyone arguing otherwise is like saying "well....when I make toast with my bread, I can put butter on it just fine....I highly doubt you could spread butter on your bread..."

mcmonkey wrote:
Im still baffled as to why its being updated in the first place.

So if anything comes out of this i'll be pleasently suprised either way Smile

If there was to be a rerelease i would imagine there would be some aestetick improvements on the first (it is ungly in places tbh Neutral )

I am baffled as well. Honestly my mention of some Shenmue port was completly speculation.

Sega-AM2 could very well be updating Shenmue Passport just for Dreamcast users. This would be completly incredible, and if it does end up being the case, we need to send a thank you letter to Sega-AM2. And I'm not saying OC does some letter thing. I mean each person should write their own letters and send them to where-ever. Whether it be email, hand written, or carrier pigeon.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:13 pm; edited 3 times in total