Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:37 am
quote : #46
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
True, gotta admit I didnt even think about xbox live and how that would effect things. Still not to sure on the PS2 though some games look pretty crap on the PS2 when things get a little more demanding, take sonic heroes for example which is terrible in comparison to the xbox or gamecube, or it is in my opinion anyway, plus didn't the xbox version of shenmue 2 still suffer with some slow down? imagine what it could possibly be like on the PS2 if the xbox had a little trouble Sad

Well whatever, I'm no expert but I can't really see this having anything to do with a PS2 released personally, but hey who knows Smile

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:39 am
quote : #47
Ok I will discuss this further with you in PM. For all those coming to this thread. Console comparrisons end here. Seriously.
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:50 pm
quote : #48
lordnikon wrote:

We need to send a thank you letter to Sega-AM2. And I'm not saying OC does some letter thing. I mean each gamer should just write their own letters and send them to where-ever. Whether it be email, hand written, or carrier pigeon.

If this was something done exclusively for the Dreamcast since there's been a lot of interest in the new releases we've been getting, I will personally buy a plane ticket to Sega-AM2 headquarters and thank them in person.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:02 pm
quote : #49
Type: PAL
*note to self buy/kidnap pidgeon
rank 12
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:14 pm
quote : #50
It seemed we were overdue some kind of Shenmue related rumours and intrigue! It is strange, confusing but quality that something does indeed seem to be happening with this passport disc!

beowulfx
rank 1
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 pm
quote : #51
lordnikon wrote:
NO no no no no. An xbox collection is not more likely, but in-fact impossible to include something like Shenmue Passpot. Shenmue Passport would never be able to run on the XBox because everything network related on the Xbox has to be integrated into "XBOX LIVE" and be all under microsofts control. Xbox Live is a standardized system, and MS has certain restrictions in place on how a developer integrates new features into their network. On top of this MS has no marketshare in japan, and Shenmue is a very well loved franchise in Japan. So by default the Playstation 2 makes more logical sense to release it, especially when the xbox platform is on the way out, and the 360's backwards compatibility is iffy. Sure maybe the games could get released on the xbox, but when you consider shenmue 2 was already released on the xbox as it is, I don't see why anyone would buy a Shenmue 1 + 2 collection if they already own 2. Since the only people that would are diehard fans, and that niche is not enough to justify a release. The one absolute here, is that Shenmue Passport would never happen on the Xbox and still be able to allow Dreamcast interactivity.

The Playstation 2 is an open network, and Sega would be able to do whatever they want. Sega could release a Shenmue Collection on the Playstation 2 in all regions and have it just as functional as the Shenmue Passport on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue could run on the Playstation 2 without any problems. And anyone arguing otherwise is like saying "well....when I make toast with my bread, I can put butter on it just fine....I highly doubt you could spread butter on your bread..."

Dont you have The Final Fantasy XI Beta disc for the Xbox 360 ? its not really xbox live on that It uses the same crap on the pc and PS2 version........

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 pm
quote : #52
beowulfx wrote:
Dont you have The Final Fantasy XI Beta disc for the Xbox 360 ?

No, I do not own that demo or the platform.

beowulfx wrote:
...its not really xbox live on that It uses the same crap on the pc and PS2 version........

Yes, I am aware of Final Fantasy XI's network functionality. It will be the very first Xbox Live enabled game to feature cross platform compatibility. However there are no Xbox titles as far as I know that access data from web pages. Shenmue Passport is essentially a special web browser in a way. The news posted by sega were talking to someone. They say to come back soon, and visit shenmue passport. This means they are speaking directly to Dreamcast gamers.

MS would most likely impose changes or restrictions on this, or ask sega to change the software around to meet the requirements for Xbox Live.

So if you take the following into consideration:
-Shenmue 2 was already released for the Xbox
-The xbox platform is being phased out, and their new platform's backwards compatability is a work in progress
-The xbox platform has barely any marketshare in Japan
-Microsoft has specific standards in place for their online enabled titles

This would make it currently near impossible for a "hypothetical" Shenmue Compilation + Shenmue Passport to get released on the Xbox platform with network functionality.
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:55 pm
quote : #53
Quote:
There is something incredibly wrong with this. Sakuragaoka, what have you done? I'm beginning to think this so-called "Passport Resurrection" is no resurrection, nor does it have anything to do with SEGA whatsoever.

All right, first of all, this "Sakuragaoka" guy is an odd one. Days before he signed up as Sakuragaoka, he also signed up as Mr. Zero, TOP CAT, and Giwara, three names of Muecas members: http://shenmue.com/muecas/000.html. After doing a little research, it was clear the same person signed up as all three accounts, because he always uses the same "enccompany" e-mail account for every account. A real Muecas member? Not hardly.

Take a look. http://www2.sega.co.jp/bbs/article/s/shenmue/12/nwcocd/nwcocd.html#nwcocd some clown appeared on the official Shenmue BBS a while back trying to offer a Spanish section for the site. Ah! Guess what... the link to his site is on ENCCOMPANY.com. http://enccompany.iwarp.com/shenmue_com_main.htm. Enccompany... Ring any bell? The same as the e-mail account Sakuragaoka, and his other 3 egos had. So why was he so persistent to sign up using the name of a Muecas member? But this guy's strangeness doesn't end there. He also posted in the official BBS later as "BBS管理人", pretending to be BBS staff, saying, "新しいシェンムーIIIBBSです." meaning "This is the Shenmue III BBS" or something like that. http://www2.sega.co.jp/bbs/article/s/shenmue/16/wiftil/wiftil.html#wiftil. And his reason for making this confusing post was this: http://www2.sega.co.jp/bbs/article/s/shenmue/16/wiftil/ynqitl.html#ynqitl

"BBS_People
Kiyuu, sorry... mmm... What I can say you? That day I was really bored and decepcioned because that person "BBS管理人", never post something diferent than "新しいシェンムーBBSです", I was trying to give some hope to the Shenmue players here, but I confused the persons. Please forgive me. Wasn't my intention. Please tell to they, the real "BBS管理人" uses a special color in their posts. Please continue supporting Shenmue, because with your actions you keep alive our hope.... Thanks for all your help, maybe I'll never post something here and this will be better for all. Please forgive me again."

So you like to pretend to be SEGA staff and give Shenmue players "hope," eh, Sakuragaoka? Interesting. So you're doing it again? I've noticed something very odd about the timing of this Passport "resurrection," which really makes him look guilty of setting this up somehow. Just hours before he posted the topic about the Passport coming back, he posted this topic, asking if anyone had the Shenmue Goodies: http://shenmue.planets.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29094 Ah, funny! Hiiiiilarious. SOME of the VMU Goodies were available for download on the Passport again, which so happened to be the SAME ones that are available on the site Kiyuu linked him to. Very interesting. If SEGA were really updating it, they could have easily restored all 300+ of them at once, not just 180 of them.

Another fishy thing... Before the site folders in passport.shenmue.com became hidden, it said the files were uploaded early Feb. 22nd, which was just a few hours before he made this topic. He decided to go through all the trouble of linking his PC to DC to get online to view the Passport,(as he stated before he doesn't even have a dial-up connection) just to view the Passport's online features HOURS after they update it. WOW! Perfect timing? I think NOT! And I also noticed his name was active in the forums during the time the folders I linked to became hidden. That's because he saw my links and wanted to prevent me from snooping around his "plan."

How exactly he got access to passport.shenmue.com, I don't know, but the few files that were restored were easily obtainable files that someone like himself could have gotten. Why the hell would SEGA bring the U.S. version back first? And why the hell would they use that same broken English line on the update for the Japanese version? If you look in the Passport's 1st_read.bin file with a hex editor, you can see every directory to passport.shenmue.com where it reads the data from, and the only difference between the different versions is one folder name. The files for the U.S. version are in the folder "passport_us," while Japan's is "passport_jp" and "passport_eu" for European. All he had to do was create these additional folders and dump these files into them, and VOILA! Now users with those versions can download these same files.

I am HIGHLY disappointed with this. I want answers, Sakuragaoka, and I want them now. I'm sure everyone else does too. I know this isn't the official work of SEGA, so don't even try to play me.

Well friends, I cant absolutely say this is a 100% dissapointment, but I'm guessing that this means that Sega really didnt update the passport themselves. Ruins my hopes that Sega was bringing back something to the online community themselves, but still cool that he restored those files nonetheless. I'm still a little shady on the details, but it's a good thing that Nikon didnt front-page this, because this is all looking like, quite literally, a bona fide "h@x0rz!~?"
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:55 pm
quote : #54
yeah, i actually read this at shenmue dojo a few minutes ago.

disappointing, but gotta give it to the guy. hes got some skills.

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux
cApNhOwDy
rank 2
Posted:
Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:15 pm
quote : #55
MasterChief wrote:
yeah, i actually read this at shenmue dojo a few minutes ago.

disappointing, but gotta give it to the guy. hes got some skills.

Yeah, turns out he's also the guy behind the current Shenmue.com website. http://www.shenmue.com , as it is right now, is a cover-up page. He registered it under his company's domain. Sheesh, imagine what would have happened if nobody had figured this out. He would have put up false information regaurding Shenmue III, everyone would have gotten their hopes up, and then it would have been another MASSIVE letdown. I'm glad that LanDC caught him while he was ahead.

What a cunning con.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:50 am
quote : #56
Well, turns out this all did some good after all. I was not aware the shenmue download content was available at an alternate location. I didn't have it in my archives yet. So this entire mess led to the information Kiyuu so graciously posted at shenmue dojo, becoming more widely accessable. Now this content can be added to the archive, and spread even further to ensure its safety.

For anyone else that wants the files immediatly you can go here:
http://kurbstomped.com/videogames/downloads/saves/shenmue/

(Note: I am in the process of re-vamping the official download content here so it is easier to access, and has compatability with Dreamkey / Dreampassport for download. So this will be an evolving process over the next few days)

It is a shame that these people have control over the domain name and are able to dictate what content appears in our shenmue passports.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:28 am
quote : #57
What a wanker....
Thats all ive got to say for him.... Getting our hopes up like that... Fucker.

But to be honest with y'all, i reckon he should carry on doing Shenmue Passport, but say that is IS 100% un-official, be good if he does carry on with it...

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.
Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:30 am
quote : #58
As with all Shenmue stuff... this turns out to be a trick by some person who likes to wind everyone up. Neutral

It is pretty funny that he could literally put up whatever he wants though. Well funny that now I know it's some spanish guy with an unhealthy obsession with Shenmue and not Sega themselves.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:36 am
quote : #59
Type: PAL
if this guy does have control over the domain name, and he knew what he was doing. couldnt he still do some good things for shenmue passport?
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:51 am
quote : #60
This is exactly what i thought, but by the looks of DCers links, he gave up as soon as everyone found out Sad

A real shame, because it doesent matter if its Official or not really... as long as we got it their, he could carry on with it and State that is un-official.
Their wasnt any need to say it was from SEGA anyway. Crying or Very sad Stupid sly basterd Mad

Couldnt he at least tell a nice person how to do it or something? Laughing
Someone who will actully do a good job and state that its un-official.

Name is xADAMx on SunstriderEU.