Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:19 am
quote : #61
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Who cares though? Serously? What can he really do, or anyone do? Say "Hello I am Nazomi and I have nice boobies?" All he can do is toss up text. He can't fix the rankings or add more download content or anything. He had to ask for the download content for christ sake. Also this person doesn't have "skills". He bought the shenmue.com domain name. Then he just asked others for the files and put the info in the right place to when you go to shenmue passport, the info comes up.

If I owned the shenmue.com domain there would be nothing I could do that would be of any serious interest to anyone. I could post text and uh...that's it?

The only thing that made any of this exciting was the hope that Sega was going to restore actual download content and functioanlity to shenmue passport. This will not be happening because this was all a haox propogated by someone who is looking for attention. BTW to everyone who is getting pissed of and wanting to chop his fucking head of or something, you are only giving the person what he wants. He probobly has a huge erection right now and is salting this salami right now reading all of the comments surrounding his juvenile scheme.

Shenmue Passport is just as busted and broken and non-functional as it was a year ago. No rankings, no download content, no worky. Move along, there is nothing to see here...

(To any Dreamcast websites out there that jumped the gun, posting this as front page news without confirmation from a source at Sega, you should pull your articles because Shenmue Passport is not being updated at all.)
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:31 am
quote : #62
Type: PAL
lordnikon wrote:
(To any Dreamcast websites out there that jumped the gun, posting this as front page news without confirmation from a source at Sega, you should pull your articles because Shenmue Passport is not being updated at all.)

i just edited the dreamcast-scene front page.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
macnet
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:15 am
quote : #63
ok.. the guy maybe acted like he was SEGA staff but didn't he gave us what we wanted to have??

aren't the files available??

isn't it the same thing as having alternative methods to play Maximum Pool?

why should we bother if it is un-official??

the guy deserves a big cake for what he achieved!!
I never accessed the dream passport files and now it's a great opportunity!!

do you think sega bothers with it?

SEGA wants to forget the dreamcast...

Also a Maximum Pool player.
Wanna play with me? PM me and schedule a game!
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:11 pm
quote : #64
macnet wrote:
ok.. the guy maybe acted like he was SEGA staff but didn't he gave us what we wanted to have??

aren't the files available??

isn't it the same thing as having alternative methods to play Maximum Pool?

why should we bother if it is un-official??

the guy deserves a big cake for what he achieved!!
I never accessed the dream passport files and now it's a great opportunity!!

do you think sega bothers with it?

SEGA wants to forget the dreamcast...

he didnt actually put any new/old files up, so no really he doesnt deserve big-cake for writing two sentences which were both lies. he deserves a kick in teeth.

lozz

JimSensei
rank 2
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:17 pm
quote : #65
I see more good then bad out of this, if you ask me.

I hope it stays up because I plan to play Shenmue again. I'll try and get some Golden Cans and after beating the game, head online to get some characters.

It was illegal, yes, but there is good intentions behind this. And if Sega doesn't want it online, they'll just close it again (several people have already e-mailed Sega about it).

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:27 pm
quote : #66
It was not illegal at all. The person owns the domain name. Sega lost control over the domain, so the person who owns it can put up whatever material he/she wants.

The good that came out of this was mentioned by me here...

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=55382#55382

...where you can find the link to all of the Download content that the person had to "ask" for at shenmue dojo. Nothing new came out of this scenario. The download content had been previously available at an alternate location. Just not that many people, including myself, and others even knew about it.
Posted:
Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:52 pm
quote : #67
It wasnt illegal that he bought the domain. However, it IS illegal that he kept the copyrights on the page and pretend that he was a member of Sega by registering it under their names. His intention, whatever it was, was NOT to bring back the passport features. He might have done that, somewhat, but he hid his identity as a Sega employee for a reason. Imagine what would have resulted has we not have figured this all out. Imagine the chaos that would result if he put a few sentences stating that Shenmue III was coming out on the Shenmue.com website. Every major news magazine, every unnofificial website craving for a little taste of Sega Shenmue goodness, would have gotten unofficial, illegitamate information, and their hopes would be ruined once again. It's true that he controls the shenmue.com domain, but it's not fair that he put up an exact replica of the same website AND registering it so that we couldnt tell the difference between if an official Sega representative actually hosted the domain or not.
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 am
quote : #68
Let me rephrase this.

He bought the domain legally, but it was illegal for him to; bring the passport back online (he does not own any part of the Passport or the Shenmue characters/content used on the disc), and pretend to be Sega.

He's agreed to keep running the Passport and many people are suggesting he puts up a note claiming to be unofficial, but he also said he wouldn't bother continuing it if he couldn't get all the Shenmue Goodies for upload.

But as you said Nikon, nothing new came out of this except the Character profiles and Places area. Even then, they weren't new and you could get them offline or in the guide books. I also don't think he can get the Rankings running, either. He would need all the coding Sega used to bring those back.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 am
quote : #69
cApNhOwDy wrote:
It wasnt illegal that he bought the domain. However, it IS illegal that he kept the copyrights on the page and pretend that he was a member of Sega by registering it under their names. His intention, whatever it was, was NOT to bring back the passport features. He might have done that, somewhat, but he hid his identity as a Sega employee for a reason.

I asked around and it was not illegal for him to keep copyrights on the page. I tried to cross reference those I asked, and I was unable to turn up any information regarding the miss-use of copyright information as being illegal.

I was not aware he falsly represented himself by saying he was Sega Corporation with the domain registration. I scrolled back in the thread a bit at shenmuedojo and found the listed information.That part is definatly very illegal.

Actually do we know specifically who this person is yet? Is he a shenmue fan or a griefer?

cApNhOwDy wrote:
Imagine what would have resulted has we not have figured this all out. Imagine the chaos that would result if he put a few sentences stating that Shenmue III was coming out on the Shenmue.com website. Every major news magazine, every unnofificial website craving for a little taste of Sega Shenmue goodness, would have gotten unofficial, illegitamate information, and their hopes would be ruined once again.

"MAJOR" news magazines or internet e-zines would not post such information without official confirmation( ok well IGN would... >_> ). This is one of the biggest problems on the internet, and regardless of someone using a con act to missinform the public, I still can't blame that person for mass missinformation. The news websites, fan websites, and forum goers are the real problem because more often than not they want to be the "first in line" to post new information. They don't cross check info or track down sources. They will believe anything. The internet is a sad state of affairs where tabloid journalism reigns supreme.

I myself am a huge supporter of "sitting back" and taking my time. If there is research on something that needs to be done, I would rather find out for sure and have a working proof, rather than jump the gun and post false incorrect information.

I commend the users at shenmue dojo for being skeptical. Especially those like LanDC that took the time to make the connections.

Countless rumours get spread all the time on the net, and I am always so baffled at the people that are quick to believe them. My head wants to cave in everytime I see a discussion debating the "cost of new game consoles". If something is really going to happen then an official press release will eventually come out. Whenever Shenmue III does get announced you will hear the official word from 1 place... Sega (or whatever company owns the rights to the game whenever it does come out).

JimSensei wrote:
He bought the domain legally, but it was illegal for him to; bring the passport back online (he does not own any part of the Passport or the Shenmue characters/content used on the disc), and pretend to be Sega.

Actually this was not illegal for him to put content up at the Shenmue.com domain. It is not illegal to put up content, at a location where Shenmue Passport was already designated to go look. The Shenmue Passport was already setup to go to that specific domain. He could easily claim in a court of law that he purchased the domain and setup the content so his own Passport could connect to it and that he did it as a private project. He can't control other users all triyng to connect with their Shenmue Passport.

If he owns a copy of Shenmue, and he owns Shenmue.com, then the information he put up is legal under fair use.

As for using shenmue characters, and logos on the website, yes Sega could probobly come after him for this. It is technically illegal. However so is my website and every other website on the internet that is devoted to video games and uses official artwork in their site designs.

JimSensei wrote:
He's agreed to keep running the Passport and many people are suggesting he puts up a note claiming to be unofficial, but he also said he wouldn't bother continuing it if he couldn't get all the Shenmue Goodies for upload.

But as you said Nikon, nothing new came out of this except the Character profiles and Places area. Even then, they weren't new and you could get them offline or in the guide books. I also don't think he can get the Rankings running, either. He would need all the coding Sega used to bring those back.

Yea all he did was figure out how to put text up on the site, which involved renaming a .txt file to .bin. Then he asked shenmue dojo for a link to download content, and then plugged that in as well. That is all that happened. People are asking him to keep it running, but this is dissillusionment. People are confused into thinking that Shenmue Passport would once again be a living breathing interactive peice of software. This is not the case. Shenmue Passport will remain a stagnant element in Dreamcast Online, and will remain so forever.

The only thing that would make Shenmue Passport a viable interactive tool again, would be to have the rankings fixed, all of the download content returned, and a historical record of all the previous news updates and messages back up on the site. So the Shenmue Passport could be used as is when it was in its prime.

You are very right about the internet rankings. If he had to ask around for content then there is no way he can get the rankings up.
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:44 am
quote : #70
Nikon, you should post on the Dojo topic.

Personally, it's better to have the Passport up the down I think. Even if it isn't official. But now that I know in general it isn't illegal with what he is doing, I guess that maybe he shouldn't close it down under all the pressure.

But if was this easy for him to open back up, why did Sega close the Passport in the first place?

BTW; I myself would rather get the character icons legit if I can. Thats why I'm pretty happy. I never got to see the passport, and now I can.

UPDATE; Joy is short lived. You cannot download any characters now. The Shenmue Goodies file isn't avaible for download on my side. Anyone else try?

UPDATE; Right now, the passport is 100% useless. Yay.

mcmonkey
rank 44
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:35 am
quote : #71
well at least this whole sorded fiasco has encouraged talk about the game Smile
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:57 am
quote : #72
JimSensei wrote:

Personally, it's better to have the Passport up the down I think. Even if it isn't official. But now that I know in general it isn't illegal with what he is doing, I guess that maybe he shouldn't close it down under all the pressure.

But if was this easy for him to open back up, why did Sega close the Passport in the first place?

BTW; I myself would rather get the character icons legit if I can. Thats why I'm pretty happy. I never got to see the passport, and now I can.

UPDATE; Joy is short lived. You cannot download any characters now. The Shenmue Goodies file isn't avaible for download on my side. Anyone else try?

i dont think you understand. The passport never went "down" it just stopped having available download content etc. , so he didnt actually put anything back up. I think you should read the thread more carefully.

lozz

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:00 pm
quote : #73
This is a bummer. I was really hoping for more Shenmue content, even if it ended up being tailored for story continuation on other systems. I think what I find most troubling is the fact that Sega simply let the Shenmue domain go. They didn't renew the domain in order to promote and support the series in the future.

Sega just let it go.

How are my little crackers doing today?
JimSensei
rank 2
Posted:
Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:53 pm
quote : #74
lozz wrote:
JimSensei wrote:

i dont think you understand. The passport never went "down" it just stopped having available download content etc. , so he didnt actually put anything back up. I think you should read the thread more carefully.

lozz

Actually, I've been following the course of events pretty closely. At one point, you could connect and download content through the passport as opposed to just downloading content off general websites. That is what I mean by "up" or "currently running". He even had some move scrolls back up, as well. If you try them now, you get error messages.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 am
quote : #75
JimSensei wrote:

Actually, I've been following the course of events pretty closely. At one point, you could connect and download content through the passport as opposed to just downloading content off general websites. That is what I mean by "up" or "currently running". He even had some move scrolls back up, as well. If you try them now, you get error messages.

ah ok, sorry bout that.