Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
I felt this information was news worthy, because of the sheer impact it will have on your average UT game session. The new guide I have been talking about for quite some time is now up on the site. It features a complete list of every map in the game comparing performance information and multi-player capabilities. On top of this there is a new command I discovered that will boost your framerate in single player by 5 to 7 frames per second. It is now possible to play a set of maps in Unreal Tournament with a very consistant framerate. This will work on both NTSC-U/C and PAL versions of the game. I have been using this information for the past few months, and it has a drastic effect on my Dreamcast UT experience. The game plays so much better by choosing the right maps, along with this new command. Feel free to post to this thread if you have any comments or questions.

Here is the guide.

Enjoy Cool

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Posted:
Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:38 am
quote : #2
very interesting guide! Very Happy
i'll try that soon,
many thanks!
Posted:
Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:21 am
quote : #3
Very nice information, well done Nikon.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:45 am
quote : #4
gRimGrAvY014 wrote:
Very nice information, well done Nikon.

Indeed. Congrats.

CreamSoda
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 pm
quote : #5
Aw man that is a kickass guide!

I am a huge fan of the Dreamcast UT, and play it to this dya because it has a "magic feel" to me that the PC version does not.

Thank you very much! From one UT fan to another! Very Happy

K_I_R_E_E_K
unknown
Posted:
Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
the face1 and 2 are prety cool maps, i play very good and the frame rate does not bother me (i play with the controler so it is easyer)
for those who play ut, do you find some bots called jesen and bertka, on the hardest mode these bots have and extremely precision (if they defend a location on face 1 or 2 consider your self dead each time you born), and they are quick (you go to a warp and get shot by the bot on the other side on the map)
once i made a game and these 2 bots apeared, isane scores, my team won 3 to 2, my team score, +-25, i did +-60 and the bot made +300, on the other team +-26, +-50, and +250....by the scores you can see the super bots.
i love you guide by the way.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:17 pm
quote : #7
Thank you for the kind comments about the guide. I am a big fan of it as well, and not just because I wrote it, but because it has such a huge impact on the gameplay. It is so nice to play maps like Damnation and Loathing and have a practically butter smooth framerate.

As for the maps Face and Face 2, they are definatly cool maps. They run well on the PC, but on the Dreamcast the draw distance sends the framerate way way down. They arn't as bad as say Morpheus (wow that map has a bad framerate), but they still run very choppy and are thus at the bottom of the ctf list. Disabling decals will obviously help Face and Face 2 become much more playable.

Also this guide doesn't exist to tell people what maps to completly avoid. It merely provides information so you can put more time into playing the really good maps.
Posted:
Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:34 pm
quote : #8
Type: PAL
that just it, because the map is big and with almost no walls, you can actualy aim with no problem, even on dc (wich i play) the fram rate maybe be low but the map is huge so you do not have to do quick moves.
about the super bots, does anyone see them?

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:25 pm
quote : #9
Excellent work, Nikon. Given the sheer amount of maps, I'd imagine that putting that guide together wasn't any walk in the park. Very good information and nice work on figuring the decal command out. Very useful!

As always, very nice layout of the information. Intuitive and easy on the eyes. A+ Very Happy

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:43 pm
quote : #10
What I did was spit them up over a series of 3 days based on game modes, DM/TDM, DOM, and CTF. The Deathmatch maps took something around 5 hours to get through. I couldn't take any breaks either because if I did I would forget the level of performance each map has. I had to play each map and then stare at the fps meter constantly judging where the framerate is at. I also shot multiple weapons in frantic ways to get the framerate to drop as much as I could. I used a text file in notepad and assigned various number designations and extra notes about each map.

It is rare that a console game's performance can actually increase after it has shipped to stores. UT and Sega Rally 2 on the DC are some of the rare situations where this is possible.

The funny part about this guide is, some who havn't read the guide fully are now posting in other theads referencing UT has having a bad overall framerate. So now a stereotype is brewing that UT is some how flawed and performs badly. *sigh* I wish people would read things in full.