Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:28 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I want to get a 6 button controller set-up for one of the best fighting games of all time, Street Fighter Alpha 3. What's some setup's the people use to play their fighting games? Also, which controllers should I advoid? I heard some third party controller suck a lot of juice through the control port and fries the port. I would like to advoid that problem at all costs, since I don't want to get my DC repaired. Any thoughts, or comments, would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

kingofgrills
rank 33
Posted:
Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:24 pm
quote : #2
Stonefreeze, there's a lot of options for fighting game controllers. For arcade sticks, a lot of people naturally gravitate toward the official Dreamcast arcade sticks, so they remain fairly spendy ($35-$50 range). However, if you're looking beyond the collecting aspect I think there are more cost-effective sticks to choose from out there.

I currently have two third-party Dreamcast sticks made by ToppMaxx. They work great, and I bought them brand new for $9.99 each at Electronics Boutique. Granted, EB stopped carrying them several years ago, but they are readily available new on Ebay for roughly the same price. I like them because they have great response, a large solid base, and built-in rumble. The buttons are also well placed, as well as the VMU slot. They come in multiple colors, and mine are green. Here's a gray one:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006ADIVW.01-A2URE7RS89FF6U._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg

The only drawback, which is a general one, is that no one makes an adapter allowing the use of Dreamcast controllers on other systems, such as PS2 or Gamecube. So, I went a different route and have another set of arcade sticks for my PS2. I would recommend looking at PS2 arcade sticks as well before buying anything. Why? Because there are a ton of quality PS2 sticks to choose from, and with a PS2 to Dreamcast controller adapter, they work perfectly with Dreamcast as well. I have a pair of Soul Calibur II arcade controllers that I picked up at GameStop a while back. They are highly responsive and very rugged. Also, they are a universal design that work with PS2, Gamecube, and XBox. I use them regularly with my Dreamcast and Total Control Plus adapters, which have separate slots for the VMU too. Here's a picture of the Soul Calibur II stick:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/26/01/2c_1.JPG

Anyway, buy using a PS2 to DC controller adapter, you can basically choose from a bunch of really great sticks at reasonable prices. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

How are my little crackers doing today?
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:02 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
kingofgrills mentions some OK cost effective arcade sticks.

If you want a "pro" arcade stick, go with a HORI brand arcade stick for the Playstation 2. They are more expensive ranging from 50-100 dollars, but they are authentic arcade sticks with quality arcade parts. Getting an arcade stick and a Total Control Plus adaptor is an expensive endevour if your looking to go with a HORI stick.

If you are looking to get something cheaper, you could scrounge around for one of those Toppmaxx sticks kingofgrills mentioned. They look ok for the price range. They won't feel arcade quality at all, but more like your typical third party genesis / snes arcade stick.

If your looking to just get something that plays fighting games well, I would invest in a Saturn-esque PS2 controller, and then buy a Total Control Plus adaptor.

They released a series of PS2 Street Fighter Controllers which you can pick up for anywhere between 15-25 dollars. I would shop around and see what you can get. These feature 6 buttons and a great directional pad. They arn't "entirely" like a saturn controller, but are pretty spot on in terms of their design. The d-pad is a bit smaller than a saturns. Overall though they are a great pad for fighting games.

The reason why it is good to get a PS2 controller, is that you can buy adaptors to connect to any console. They make PS2 convertors for practically every system in existance.
Posted:
Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:10 pm
quote : #4
The Hori sticks Nikon mentions are very, very nice indeed. One to keep an eye on is the Limited Edition 15th Anniversary Street Fighter II controllers. They released a pro grade arcade stick, as well as the character specific fighter pads Nikon mentioned, which work great and are similar to the Saturn pads. I was getting ready to list brand new boxed Chun Li and Akuma pads on Ebay this week. I've never taken them out of the boxes, which you can display, but I need to get rid of a couple of them. I'm getting a bit of grief for the growing size of my collection. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, there's a ton of great controllers to choose from, and you can get decent stuff in all price ranges. Just don't necessarily tie yourself to the official Dreamcast controller, which isn't bad. Plus, since you're a Street Fighter fan, don't miss out on the great limited edition controllers that were recently released. They're great.

How are my little crackers doing today?
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:34 pm
quote : #5
Hey thanks for the feedback. The Street Fighter Series is basically the only fighting series that I follow. After playing Street Fighter 3 Alpha, my interest got back into fighting games. The official Dreamcast pad, while great for most games, just doesn't do justice for the game. Any links to what the Street Fighter pads for the PS2 look like? What's the best type of converter to get? Also, has anyone tried using the analog pad for the Saturn on the Dreamcast? I really like that controller. That was like the basis for the Dreamcast controller. But, I sold my Saturn, pretty much because the graphics really turned me off, not that many quality games for it, and besides, I wanted to get what I wanted: my DC gaming! Very Happy