Topic: Starlancer BBA

Page 1 of 1
federico
rank 1
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 3:02 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
hello my name is Federico and I'm writing form italy.
I just bought a pal version of Starlancer so... I'm coming
lol
however I have a question.
I took a DC BBA (model HIT-0401) directly from jp,
but I read that Starlancer is only dial-up.
What does it mean?
I use a dedicated router for GC on a dsl line.
Shall I use the new bba with Starlancer and plug it on the router?

(thanks for your kindness and your site
have a nice day
see you soon
bye)

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 3:11 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
federico wrote:

but I read that Starlancer is only dial-up.
What does it mean?

It means that Starlancer can only work via dial-up internet access. Dial-up is another way of connecting to the internet, via the telephone lines and is what has been used before Broadband (cable / dsl). The Dreamcast's came pre-packed with a 33k or 56k dialup modem. By entering a dial-up ISP into your Dreamcast's configuration you would be able to dial out over the telephone line and connect to the ISP and then you would be online.

Starlancer only connects to the internet via this method. Starlancer is not compatible with the Broadband Adaptor.

Our online game list has further clarrification on which games support broadband and which do not. But the games you will need to play online with your Broadband Adaptor are the NTSC-U/C version of Quake 3 Arena, and a PAL Region release of Phantasy Star Online.

I wish Starlancer was compatible with the BBA but unfortunatly it is not. The game was only programmed to be compatible with dialup internet access.
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 3:18 am
quote : #3
mmm
the problem is that I pay for a dial up connection, but not for the dsl because I have a flat.
however will bba and old dc modem shack up?
(or one will remove the other)

(thanks)
Yo.oY

Mertens
rank 14
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 1:28 pm
quote : #4
federico wrote:
mmm
the problem is that I pay for a dial up connection, but not for the dsl

If you pay for a dial-up connection to connect to the internet over phone lines (not broadband) then you should be fine. You need a web browser to program your dreamcast with your username, password, and the phone number to dial.
rank 87
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 1:47 pm
quote : #5
federico lives in a PAL territory, so I am assuming he has to pay big bucks at an hourly rate to play online via dialup. They don't have flat rate dialup isps there.
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 3:26 pm
quote : #6
Type: PAL
well not really Nikon. i live in a PAL area (uk) and my rates are quite low with BT click:

weekdays 6am-6pm : 4p per minute

weekdays after 6pm : 1.5p per minute

weekends : 1p per minute
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
FireBlade
rank 7
Posted:
Sat May 13, 2006 6:23 pm
quote : #7
I'd still consider that 'significant' Smile

a 'new' way of connecting 56k to internet without having to do a cable swap is on the way! the tutorial is coming Very Happy

you'd still need a pc, but at least you won't have to do the cable swap trick Razz

fallout
rank 16
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 4:14 am
quote : #8
lordnikon wrote:
federico lives in a PAL territory, so I am assuming he has to pay big bucks at an hourly rate to play online via dialup. They don't have flat rate dialup isps there.

Thats not true . We do have some providers who give out Dialup Flatrates . I had one 2 yeahrs ago . I had to pay around 30 € "euro" a month and it came with 30 Free Phone Hours . There ISDN was a bit more expensive :/ so i took the one line Dialup flat "Always had to disconnect my dc if soneone wanted to call someone"

ISDN works fine too with Dreamcast . But you need a converter , and i noticed that many providers charge more per minute for isdn as for 56k dialup . But it should be easyer to find isdn flatrates . Same as for dialup they are hard to find nowadays

But it's true finding a Provider in your area that have dialup flats in there sortiment is not that easy , as to find a dsl/Adsl/sdsl provider
hebe
rank 13
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 4:44 am
quote : #9
There are loads of flat rate dial-up isps around in europe. Almost every major(and minor) offer a flat rate option. I can think of 3 right off the top of my head.
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 5:19 am
quote : #10
Yea I know nothing about the ISP's in europe so don't take my comment as gospel. I was just going off of what I had heard many other users say here in other threads.
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 9:37 am
quote : #11
lordnikon wrote:
Yea I know nothing about the ISP's in europe so don't take my comment as gospel. I was just going off of what I had heard many other users say here in other threads.

Very Happy doesnt sound something the real nikon would do! who are you and where have you put him Smile hehehe
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 11:22 am
quote : #12
Well I remember a lot of users here saying how they have to pay by the minute or the hour, and that flat rate isp's arn't easily accessable. I do not live in europe so it is impossible for me to have an accurate perspective on the situation, so I just based my reply on what I had read so many times from other users from europe who post on here.
Posted:
Sun May 14, 2006 1:50 pm
quote : #13
Well i think most are yust to lazy to search a bit around . Or only ask the ISP they have a phone contract with and don't check others . I can think of 3 that offer flatrates Dialup/ISDN in my area . And more then 15 that charge per minute "And some junks that charge 2 cents from 12-15 then 5 15-18 and incredible 15 cents to primetimes ...."