Page Location: Home > Archive - News > Topic
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
If you will recall, in May of this year Sonic Team recently made PSO free to play for Japanese players. However, things didn’t quite work out as planned. During the past few months, players have contacted Sega citing connection difficulties. I will have to backtrack through 6 months of Japanese forum posts at the PSO site to determine when these problems first started occurring. On October 20th Sega posted an update to the Japanese homepage for Phantasy Star Online, finally addressing these concerns. After further research it seems we have encountered another Alien Front Online situation.

Apparently there have been changes made to the login / authentication process preventing users from getting online. A user at the JP PSO boards states that it is still possible to get online with version 1, however you need to redirect the game and resolve the IP’s yourself rather than relying on the ISP’s DNS servers.

It is imperative to note that this has NO effect on the European PAL Phantasy Star Online servers. Sega did not willingly terminate the functionality of Japanese PSO. It was a technical problem that would be fixed if possible.

Sega stated that this issue cannot be fixed on the game servers, and would need to be patched on the game disc itself.

As of right now JP PSO for the Dreamcast is still online, but with limited functionality. The only way for Japanese Dreamcast PSO players to get online, is via Broadband on PSO version 2. Modem connections from V2, or BBA / Modem connections from V1 are not working.

There is a possibility this could be fixed down the road, but due to certain new releases I am certain Sonic Team network programmers are a bit pre-occupied right now. I put the news post at the JP PSO site through 2 translators, and from what I can tell it looks like Sega will spend more time looking into the matter.

I will keep you guys informed if any more information develops.

Japanese Dreamcast PSO Official Homepage
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:11 am
quote : #2
Type: PAL
mrandyk wrote:
im just asking what is stopping them from cutting off the european servers? sure its unlikely to happen anytime soon but still what is keeping those servers online.

loyalty to the fans?.......... Laughing
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:30 am
quote : #3
true

hmmm do the jaopanese know how/can they use psl pso to get on the euo servers from japan?

as i know noting of dileup serveses in japan i havent a clue how they could lol though it would cause them to lose there presous items =/

thoughts for the future ???

DaMan
rank 28
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:32 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
Having just gotten online there are 39 users on the japanese servers ,so while its disheartning that more players are not on keep in mind most japanese players are on V2.
Stadic
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:50 am
quote : #5
Damn... this isn't good at all. But as mention, there still is a way to get online right? Hopefully they will use this way...

macnet
rank 9
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:53 pm
quote : #6
very bad news...I hope sega can fix this problem because the JP players keep the online version of this game alive.

there are a lot of JP players online everytime I connect... or used to connect.

I doubt they will look for PAL PSO because there are so few copies...

Also a Maximum Pool player.
Wanna play with me? PM me and schedule a game!
JKKDARK
rank 21
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:59 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
I can't believe, it is so sad Crying or Very sad

mrandyk
rank 19
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:35 pm
quote : #8
macnet wrote:
very bad news...I hope sega can fix this problem because the JP players keep the online version of this game alive.

there are a lot of JP players online everytime I connect... or used to connect.

I doubt they will look for PAL PSO because there are so few copies...

that and the whole language barrier usually poses a problem. i find it near impossible to play japanese games unless i have a translation guide or something.
U-235
rank 18
Posted:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:23 pm
quote : #9
Just use the shortcut chat and it is automatically translated on the other end. Whenever you see something like:

Hello. >
Uranium-235

that is shortcut chat. No matter what you choose in the shortcut, the others will understand it. Mr. Green
Posted:
Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm
quote : #10
I do not know if this will help... Nikon (is that right, STM...sorry) but I bought a JP PSO V2 around June or July. Now granted my first issue was playing online with a JP DC system too, but I fixed that. But I do remember not being able to get online on PSO JP V2. Possible if you desire I could load it up again and give you exact details of what it tells me.... (I can read 1st grade Kanji, hurray for me.)