Page 1 of 1
lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:29 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: PAL
Will this unit work on a PAL console? I know most hardware will work on all regoins,however i heard that it may have power problems with a PAL console. thanks, lozz.
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 am
quote : #2
lozz wrote:
Will this unit work on a PAL console? I know most hardware will work on all regoins,however i heard that it may have power problems with a PAL console. thanks, lozz.

The only thing I can think of is that PAL uses 220v, and NTSC-J uses 115/120v, IIRC. You'll probably need a stepdown transformer.
That is, if it gets its power from an AC source, and not the console itself.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:39 am
quote : #3
yeh its gets the power from its own seperate AC supply. So it shouldnt blow up my DC?

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:40 am
quote : #4
Type: NTSC-U/C
The karaoke unit has a power input and a power output. You don't have to use the output cable, and personally, I don't recommend it especially since it's PAL vs NTSC. For NTSC-J / U the difference isn't that great.

Just get a step down transformer for the karaoke unit to convert your 220v to the 100/110v Asia uses. Just keep using the power cord from your DC to power it. Don't use the daisy-chain method. It won't work (stepping down 220 to power the karaoke, but the karaoke won't be able to power the 220 DC.)

Unfortunately, there aren't any songs included on the karaoke disc. Sad Mine just sits under my import console and that's about it. I'll pop the disc in just for kicks, but there isn't much to do. Perhaps if we write to SOJ to see if they could maybe e-mail us a few sample / free songs and we could host them. We could easily redirect the software. I just hope it does run through a connection / authentication server. It'd be nice if the downloads were initiated server-side (SOJ side) and the file was sent directly like a CGI script or something.

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:49 am
quote : #5
ah ok thanks, TBH i knew i couldnt do much with it, but seeing how cheap they are Wink i can't resist. thanks, lozz.

HUmar_Dean
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 pm
quote : #6
the one with sonic on the cover of the box,i want one usualy about 50 yuo on about the same thing?

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:37 pm
quote : #7
yeh, but now you can pick them up for around £20

JWKobayashi
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:21 pm
quote : #8
lozz wrote:
yeh, but now you can pick them up for around £20

Not bad. Where are you finding them?

Does it serve any purpose to other than looking cool? Even if it doesn't, i'd still be pretty damn sweet to add to a collection.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:41 pm
quote : #9
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-Karaoke-Disk-Very-Rare-Jap-Import_W0QQitemZ8252593266QQcategoryZ4 303QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Purpose attained.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:49 pm
quote : #10
Type: NTSC-U/C
That's the same disc I got with mine. It's just the software that downloads and temporarily saves the song data to the unit. (oh yeah, I forgot to mention: the karaoke unit never actually saves the songs. So you purchase them, but it's only while the unit is still on (if I have my information correct.)). I'm not too clear on how it works, like whether or not you can go back and temporarily download it again without having to repurchase the song data.

That's just incase the original software wasn't included. I wish Sega had some out with a karaoke CD full of songs.

Smurph
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:37 pm
quote : #11
Dreamcast ™ wrote:
That's the same disc I got with mine. It's just the software that downloads and temporarily saves the song data to the unit. (oh yeah, I forgot to mention: the karaoke unit never actually saves the songs. So you purchase them, but it's only while the unit is still on (if I have my information correct.)). I'm not too clear on how it works, like whether or not you can go back and temporarily download it again without having to repurchase the song data.

That's just incase the original software wasn't included. I wish Sega had some out with a karaoke CD full of songs.

Oh.

SNKy
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:38 am
quote : #12
The online server for the Dreamcast online karaoke game SegaKara has been shut down on April 1, 2006..
Posted:
Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:31 am
quote : #13
Sad oh well, i doubt i would actually use it much. just looks nice Laughing