Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
1, 2  Next
Le Spank
rank 12
Posted:
Tue May 15, 2007 2:15 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I rarely hear it mentioned yet when I bought it there were always people in the lobbys and it was never hard to get a good race.

My only slight quibble was the fact that the DC exclusive cars did not handle like the arcade game and therfore I refused to use them even though that was often to my disadvantage when racing online.

Nevertheless the game was extremely smooth and to this day remans my favourite online DC experience!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 pm
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
I was never able to experience this game online. Though I always wanted to. The games network option in the menu taunts me to this day. I have seen a few video clips of it played and a few snaps of the lobby though.

Daytona USA on the Dreamcast isn't really an arcade port. It is an homage to the previous Daytona games, developed from the ground up on the Dreamcast. This is why the handling on the DC exclusive cars isn't identical to the arcade game.
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 6:37 am
quote : #3
Yeah I know nikon. The only reason I didn't like those cars is because I was brought up on the arcade version and playing with something that handled unlike the Hornet felt somehow wrong!

I've been playing this recently and it still looks gorgeous. The shadows, colours, level of detail, draw distance are all amazing and it runs at a flawless 60fps.

Daytona is still pretty much unique as an adrenaline packed arcade racer where you can race against 39 other cars.

Incidentally, some good progress is being made on Model 2 emulation. They are not far off getting Daytona (the arcade version) emulated perfectly so you might want to check it out!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 7:40 am
quote : #4
Sega's racing games have always been unique, and in my eyes are the best racing games available. Even though the Dreamcast version of Daytona USA wasn't a direct arcade port, it was still developed by the same company that made the previous arcade Daytona games. I feel it lives up to the Daytona legacy and easily could have been in the arcades on the NAOMI. I am suprised they never released it in arcades.

When I play, I feel funny using any car other than the Hornet. I guess I am used to associating those colors from the car with Daytona.

What versions of Daytona USA do you own Le Spank? So far I only own the NTSC-U/C version, but I plan to track down the Japanese version, and maybe even the PAL version as well.

(Yea I don't want to stray offtopic talking about the Model 2 emulation, but lets just say, I have been tracking that and will be taking full advantage of whatever software becomes available.)
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 1:28 pm
quote : #5
I agree about Segas racing games. I've been playing them since the early 90s and the Daytona - Sega Rally era really was/is the best for me so naturally I'm picky about any arcade conversion.

I own the NTSC-U version of Daytona USA (on the Dreamcast) even though I live in England because as you know, they removed the Network options from the PAL release. It was the first game I imported actually.

Why do you want to buy the other two versions out of interest? I'm pretty sure the American version is the best because apparently the NTSC - J version has a multiplayer control bug and and the PAL version has the above problem!

I also own PAL Daytona USA and Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition on the Saturn. Out of all the Daytona games I prefer to play the original Saturn conversion because it really isn't as bad as everyone makes out!

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 2:06 pm
quote : #6
Le Spank wrote:
Why do you want to buy the other two versions out of interest? I'm pretty sure the American version is the best because apparently the NTSC - J version has a multiplayer control bug and and the PAL version has the above problem!

I was mainly going to get them just to own them. I have been doing this for some sega franchises on the DC. What is the bug on the NTSC-J version? This same bug is on the PAL version?
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 3:50 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
Are you sure there's a bug in the Pal version? This was one of the first DC games I bought and I haven't found anything game ruining as of yet...

The only thing I've found odd is that the controls are a tad over sensitive compared to how I remember the saturn/arcade versions being. Are the controls meant to be this sensitive? (I use a pad if that makes a difference at all...)

*starts to hyperventilate
rank 9
Posted:
Wed May 16, 2007 4:09 pm
quote : #8
Le Spank wrote:
I own the NTSC-U version of Daytona USA (on the Dreamcast) even though I live in England because as you know, they removed the Network options from the PAL release. It was the first game I imported actually.

Considering the game isn't online anymore, does the absence of Network options matter?
Posted:
Thu May 17, 2007 4:55 am
quote : #9
@mcmonkey and nikon

The bug in the Japanese version I haven't been able to verify myself but from what I have been told, if you adjust the sensitivity on both player 1 and player 2 controllers then start a 2P splitscreen race 1P will have control over the 2P car.

When I said "the above problems" about the PAL version I mean the removal of the network options, there is no control bug in the PAL version.

@phredreeke if I was buying the game now I would get PAL version but way back in '99 or whenever it was I got the American version so that I could play online. So, no it doesn't really matter now.

Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:26 am
quote : #10
Daytona was a great game for the Dreamcast. I will agree with the above posts and say the control was a tad bit too sensitive. Online was pretty good, but when I was playing, cars would be skipping ahead, or players would be dropping out. It was a great game in it's time.

ORtrail
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:53 pm
quote : #11
I actually got to beta test it, though it was a little too laggy on my old phone lines to fully enjoy. I did end up with a free copy of the game though for being in the beta test group and filling out an online feedback survey.

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 am
quote : #12
hey that's really cool! I wish I could have experienced this online.

I own the JP version actually.
rank 8
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 am
quote : #13
Type: NTSC-U
I played...for all of three days. Then Sega ..or whomever bought the IP from Sega, shut down the servers.
I got to play for three days. I had fun, but I was pissed that I bought an online racing game that only played online three times. Sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
Playtime: 0291'16" Offline Mode: HARD
ONLINE: de-railed!! XC
TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:16 pm
quote : #14
At least you got to enjoy the game online. This is one of the games I was never able to experience online. I regret not being able to experience Daytona USA online.

I was interested in it back when it first came out, but it became fairly hard to find, at least in my area. How exactly did you get in the beta test ORtrail?

Trance4c
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 pm
quote : #15
I as well never was able to play Daytona online, its too bad! Such a fun game!