Page Location: Home > Past Online Games > Topic
Nico0020
rank 11
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:08 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U
So my friends and I have been doing a lot of retro gaming recently and we started playing some good ol UT 3 player split screen. Anyways as you know the multiplayer maps are pretty limited in multiplayer due to the limitations of the port/system. Was there ever a way to force you into single player levels in multiplayer. By like opening the console or something? I would assume not, but it would be cool to play Deck or some other amazing levels split screen. Ah the joys of more than 2 players on a screen (something this current gen has forgotten) I also thought about maybe even a repack of the game with different maps in place with the same filenames. A long shot on all this I know, but just curious if it was ever possible.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:13 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Actually there may be a way to load other maps into splitscreen, though I am not sure yet if it is possible. I have very very long command line strings that let you customize a game match more than normal.

Most of the maps that do not have splitscreen support, have it disabled for a reason. It would severely impair the games framerate. While I have Deck16 listed as one of the better maps for single player in the UT Game Performance Guide, I feel that showing the criss-crossing ramps in 3 screens would send the framerate tanking pretty bad.

Maybe if SegaAM2 coded the game, 4 player splitscreen would be possible in Deck16 and other maps Wink
Posted:
Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:38 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U
yea most likely would be miserable on most levels, just curious if it would ever be possible. As some of the levels in split screen already are pretty terrible, and some run fantastic. But there are some smaller stages that seem to fit the bill for splitscreen. Let me know if you ever come up with anything.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:41 am
quote : #4
It's a bummer really, because I really loved Deck 16.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:54 am
quote : #5
Actually people should be thankful UT had 4 player splitscreen at all. They actually delayed the game's release to add 4 player splitscreen support.
Posted:
Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:41 pm
quote : #6
Over here in the UK, its all we got Sad online play was pulled just weeks before release...

TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 pm
quote : #7
Nico0020 wrote:
So my friends and I have been doing a lot of retro gaming recently and we started playing some good ol UT 3 player split screen. Anyways as you know the multiplayer maps are pretty limited in multiplayer due to the limitations of the port/system. Was there ever a way to force you into single player levels in multiplayer. By like opening the console or something? I would assume not, but it would be cool to play Deck or some other amazing levels split screen. Ah the joys of more than 2 players on a screen (something this current gen has forgotten) I also thought about maybe even a repack of the game with different maps in place with the same filenames. A long shot on all this I know, but just curious if it was ever possible.

The Dreamcast version of Unreal Tournament doesn't have the maps saved in the standard Unreal Tournament .UNR file. There in what is beleived to be a container for in this case, a .DAT format. there are two maps on the disc that are in both the .DAT format and the .UNR format, but the two .UNR files were completly extra and aren't required to play the game at all, they were left then there on accident.... or on purpose? Wink

Theres only one reference to the .DAT file being a container file is from a game called Temple of Elemental Evil, its an Atari game that I've been yet to find, the released .DAT extract tool for the game requires two .DLL files from the game.

The interesting thing is the Dreamcast version is v404 which was a beta version that was never released publicly for the PC, it is believed to be able to open the .DAT containers natively, the .DAT containers contain some or all the textures for the map as well as the map file, that is a fact for sure.

When I say believed to be, I mean I and possibly other members of another website, I'm unsure if I'm allowed to mention.

lordnikon wrote:

Actually there may be a way to load other maps into splitscreen, though I am not sure yet if it is possible. I have very very long command line strings that let you customize a game match more than normal.

Most of the maps that do not have splitscreen support, have it disabled for a reason. It would severely impair the games framerate. While I have Deck16 listed as one of the better maps for single player in the UT Game Performance Guide, I feel that showing the criss-crossing ramps in 3 screens would send the framerate tanking pretty bad.

Maybe if SegaAM2 coded the game, 4 player splitscreen would be possible in Deck16 and other maps

You made the guide for Unreal Tournament?

Is there a live chat that I could talk to you in, like IRC?