Page Location: Home > Dreamcast Lounge > Topic
1, 2  Next
dc4me
rank 2
Posted:
Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:11 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
I wanna get another shooter game so between these two, which one should I get first? An important criteria is whether the game is easy to just pick up and play since they're Japanese imports. Is one more import-friendly than the other? For example, Ikaruga is easy to navigate through without having to know any Japanese.

Also, which one is more fun to play?

nightknigh
rank 3
Posted:
Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:45 am
quote : #2
shikigami 2 is CRAP forget about it... first generation DC-graphics (only effects are good)... bad sound (ugly background music), has two player mode
´
--> but it has many stages (havent beated it yet)

psyvariar 2 has great graphics and cool background music (well its at least more inspired than shikigami 2), but it only has a few stages, i think in easy mode i played through it in 10-15 minutes and it only has one player mode

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:42 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Castle of Shikigami 2 is an average standard mediocre shooter. Its decent but the poor sound and less than average looking ammo effects really do affect the game. Most notably when your picking up the coins you can barely hear them being picked up.

Castle of Shikigami 2 is a good game and is worth picking up eventually, however Psyvariar has more impressive graphics and sound, however has a higher learning curve.

I recommend picking up Psyvariar. It's unique battle system, stellar menu design, and difficult bosses will keep you enganged. It is a very well polished game.
Posted:
Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:19 am
quote : #4
Psyvariar 2 without question, the game is amazing. One of the best shooters next to Ikaruga and Border Down.
Posted:
Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:25 pm
quote : #5
nah man there both awesome, i love shikigami and psyvariar, i think the best one for you to get would be zero gunner 2, its absolutely awesome, but out of the 2 psyvariar 2 is the easiest cos its all in english as far as i have played into it and the graphix are pretty good, get shikigami 2 some day tho man, its excellent theres 7 characters to choose and each has like 3 different attacks, then if you choose a different mode of play the attacks they use vary as well, the backgrounds are pretty damn good as well and you get 3 hits before dying and every kill gives loads of money.
Posted:
Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:21 pm
quote : #6
Forgive me for revealing my ignorance, but I have a question......

Actually, 3 questions.

1. Is Shikigami 2 a continuation of the GUNBIRD shooter series? The screen shots that I've seen remind me of Gunbird 1 & 2, in regards to the characters, graphics and backgrounds. Am I correct in my assumption?

I was at my local import shop last week, and they FINALLY received a few copies of the game. Unfortunately, they were all "Special Edition" versions of Shikigami 2, which means that in addition to the game disc, it also includes the game's BGM on a second disc. This leads me to question #2.

2. Is the music in Shikigami 2 any good?

I love shooters, both vertical and horizontal, and I usually grab them as soon as they're available (especially on Dreamcast). However, I've never paid more than $70.00 for a shooter.....or any game for that matter! So, imagine my surprise when the owner of my local import shop told me that Shikigami 2: Special Edition has a $89.99 price tag! Yikes!!

Needless to say, I didn't purchase the game. I just can't see paying that much extra for a music soundtrack.....especially if the music isn't that great. Now, if the music is as good as Border Down, then I might pick it up.....MAYBE.

So, hopefully everyone can see why I'm asking these questions, especially in regards to the BGM. I don't know why the local import shop in my area is only stocking the Special Edition of Shikigami 2. I asked the owner, and he said that the S.E. versions were the only ones he could get.

I guess all of this leads me to the main question.....

3. Is Shikigami 2 worth $90.00?

As I said before, I LOVE SHOOTERS, but I just can't see paying that much money for any game......especially a mediocre one.

Replies anyone?

Technofungk
Posted:
Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:30 pm
quote : #7
lordnikon wrote:
Castle of Shikigami 2 is an average standard mediocre shooter. Its decent but the poor sound and less than average looking ammo effects really do affect the game. Most notably when your picking up the coins you can barely hear them being picked up.

Castle of Shikigami 2 is a good game and is worth picking up eventually, however Psyvariar has more impressive graphics and sound, however has a higher learning curve.

Make up your mind. Either it's worth the $60 or not. There is a difference between mediocre and good. Smile

I have to agree with you on Psyvariar, however. It has some great tunes and the explosion in the first stage is quite breathtaking.

-Mytho

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:49 am
quote : #8
I have made up my mind... Shikigami No Shiro 2 is good! At the time these comments of mine were first impressions, having spent much more time with the game I can vouch for Shiki 2 as a quality game.

I still say those coin pickup noises need to be louder though...
Posted:
Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:12 pm
quote : #9
Whadda bump!

I prefer Psyvariar still, although as an intro shooter Shigami is much nicer to you. I'd hate to see someone pay 60 to get Psyvariar and not be able to beat the 2nd level.
rank 5
Posted:
Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:55 pm
quote : #10
Psyvariar has the best explotions i seen on a shooter !!!
but i like both !!!

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:59 pm
quote : #11
I have 2 point out: Castle Shikigami 2 - war of the worlds and Psyvariar - complete edition are avaible for PS2. I paid 15,- EUR here for a new sealed copy....
Posted:
Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:40 pm
quote : #12
grubensau wrote:
I have 2 point out: Castle Shikigami 2 - war of the worlds and Psyvariar - complete edition are avaible for PS2. I paid 15,- EUR here for a new sealed copy....

That title for Shiki 2 in PAL regions is a travesty. I feel so sorry for you guys Sad Atleast here in the US we got Castle of Shikigami 2 with half-way decent cover art, and the right name. However, you guys in Europe are getting a lot more shmup ps2 ports than us. We have not, and won't be getting Psyvariar here. You guys also got X-II Stag, from developer of Trizeal, which we won't ever get either.

*sigh* I have to import JPN versions of these and get a PS2 setup for imports

I have Psyvariar 2 on the DC, however still need Shiki 2. But, since I own 2 domestic ntsc-u/c PS2 releases of it, I am waiting till when I have more money to get the DC version of Shiki 2. Since that will run me well over 60 dollars to import.
Posted:
Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 pm
quote : #13
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-fs-49-de-70-m09.html

Nikon look here!
Posted:
Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:07 am
quote : #14
Type: PAL
Very Happy $3