1, 2  Next
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:56 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
For the longest time, I would play the game every once in a while and usually stop after the first level and I don't know why, but the other day I decided to give it a go all the way through and after the third level (the train), something clicked. Actually, something exploded, haha Very Happy. On the fourth / fifth train car you get a sniper rifle and you have a helicopter flying around. If you shoot either of the pilots they splatter on the inside of the cockpit canopy. That really took me by surprise. It's an excellent first person shooter, though, but the game itself is pretty messed up.

One word: carnage. Given the right weapon, you can expect to completely remove appendages or severely disfigure your opponent, and that's just with a shotgun. I don't even think I need to tell you what the rocket launcher does. And just when you think you've seen it all, there's the slaughter house level.

The game lasted a good while. Tons of locations to play through. The gameplay was fun because it was almost arcade-like. "Just run through and shoot" was about the only real objective. There were a few "puzzles" thrown in, but nothing overly complicated. Also, given that it was built on a modified Q2 engine, I have to say that graphically, the game looked great. The weapons are really really really cool and pack quite a punch. Lots of interactive and hidden objects, too.

One note: if you don't have both a mouse and keyboard, get them before you play this game. It makes the experience so much better.

I'm tempted now to dissect the GD-ROM's contents for any sign of the command console. Hopefully they left it in from the PC version. I'd love to enter the cheat commands for unlimited ammo and all weapons. The game would be great then. Very Happy

Last edited by Dreamcast ™ on Sun May 16, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

TheOneFreeman
rank 8
Posted:
Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:57 pm
quote : #2
If it's any thing like Soldier of Fortune 2 it would be an exellent game on the DC depending on the frame rate though.

Morph
unknown
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:03 am
quote : #3
Did we mention you can balance your checkbook during the loadings?
RAM: 128MB PC66 EDO
Video: MGA MIL/2GN 4MB PCI
Hard Disks: dual 4.3GB W.D.
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:08 am
quote : #4
The game actually holds up pretty well with all things considered. That's not to say that there aren't instances where the game is almost impossible to play, though. Namely when you're in Japan and inside of an office building. Once all of the desks start getting shot up the game slows down to a crawl, but aside from that and maybe two or three other times, it's not bad at all.

Haha, yeah, the loadings are very long and happen a bit too often, but during those times I'd check in here and CNN so it wasn't really that much of a bother. I actually liked it because it gave me time to get excited again about jumping back in. I think the game's long length may be an illusion created by the pretty linear gameplay. Just hordes and hordes of the same type of enemy popping out everywhere on pretty much every level. Luckily, there is a bit of strategy that can be employed to fight, but forget about stealth or that bar at the bottom that tells you how loud you're being. From my personal experience, it's impossible to move without being seen, crouched, quiet, or otherwise.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:12 am
quote : #5
I've played the pc version of SoF to death offline and online and had a blast doing it Smile I should try and pick it up. If I remember correctly it doesn't have any sort of multiplayer, am I correct?

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:02 am
quote : #6
Yeah, no, the Dreamcast version doesn't have any form of multiplayer that I know of.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:08 am
quote : #7
I just glanced through my old GamePro magizines and found the issue that reviewed SoF, and after looking at the small pictures is looks like the game has a fog problem? I'm not sure I was just looking at the picutures, though.

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:17 am
quote : #8
No, not at all from what I remember. Then again, I was playing through a VGA box so it will be a little better.

Jaesonx5
rank 7
Posted:
Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:38 pm
quote : #9
I loaded a copy of Soldier of Fortune and was not disappointed at all with what I found. It just seems like great things are going to happen along into the game. The dialog and graphics are done very well. The controls do seem a little complex, but not for an experienced gamer. It's a very attractive game, and have made up my mind to try out the whole thing for myself. It is on two discs, so it seems like the action could be thick!

I'm wondering if "S.O.F." magazine had any part in the making of this game, by the way, "Soldier Of Fortune" is a magazine written for the soldiers fighting for America and her allies.

Thank You.
(P.S.-Use VGA!!)
Douggie
rank 7
Posted:
Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:50 pm
quote : #10
Ah, soldier of fortune. Once you know what you're doing, it's possible to complete the first three levels fast enough that you spend more time watching it load than playing. By quite a bit.

Anyone tried just shooting down the helicopter on the train level? Cos when I do that, it falls through the floor and respawns in the sky and falls, over and over again. It's amusing but im pretty sure it shouldnt happen.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:55 am
quote : #11
i have shot down the helicopter before, it never respawned on me. though this was a different version of the game. i cant remember what i did the last time i played the game on the Dreamcast.
Posted:
Sun May 16, 2010 7:25 pm
quote : #12
Exactly how bad is the loading in this game? I've seen some reports that indicate that the loading is anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute in length. Some of this is likely exaggerated, but I am aware that the loading can be a really downer.

Also, does this game have a smooth frame rate? I've seen some videos of the first level and it looked decent. How does it hold up later in the game?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2010 9:21 am
quote : #13
I remember seeing a video clip of this. Maybe it was a gamespot review. The loading is pretty horrible.
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 am
quote : #14
i played through most of the game. the load times are about as bad as it gets on Dreamcast. Evil or Very Mad
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 pm
quote : #15
I found the GameSpot video review you mentioned nikon. There was a picture-in-picture around 3:16 of a loading screen in the game, which took over a minute to finish loading. Yeesh. So the loading isn't that exaggerated then.

The only reason I'm really interested is because I want to own all the FPSs released on Dreamcast. Otherwise, I would have no interest in this port.