lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
TheMytho wrote:
The only reason I'm really interested is because I want to own all the FPSs released on Dreamcast. Otherwise, I would have no interest in this port.

Well you could change your logic to "owning all of the EXCLUSIVE fps's on the Dreamcast, and then just the good PC ports" hehe Mr. Green

EDIT: I guess it all depends on how frequent the load times are. How much playtime do you get between loading screens? Is it like, 1 minute of load time and then 5 minutes of gameplay and then ANOTHER load sequence? or do you get 15 minutes of gameplay between loading screens?
Posted:
Tue May 18, 2010 7:07 pm
quote : #17
lordnikon wrote:
I guess it all depends on how frequent the load times are. How much playtime do you get between loading screens? Is it like, 1 minute of load time and then 5 minutes of gameplay and then ANOTHER load sequence? or do you get 15 minutes of gameplay between loading screens?

some levels go by fast and others last a while. i would say its about 60 seconds of loading to about 8 minutes of game play Question
Posted:
Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 pm
quote : #18
I bought this game last weekend in a large lot of Dreamcast games from Craigslist. Despite all the horror stories I've heard, I decided to pop Soldier of Fortune in out of morbid curiosity.

First of all, the loading times can be brutal. I noticed that loading a game for the first time from the main menu takes much longer than transitioning from level to level. I'd put the initial load from the main menu at close to a minute, while the in-game loading takes anywhere from 30-45 seconds. These are simply guesstimations, mind you; I didn't bother actually measuring the loading times. My advice for dealing with the loading times is to have a phone or laptop handy so you can browse the internet while you wait.

The real offender in Soldier of Fortune is the wildly erratic framerate. During a normal play session, it can vary from smooth, to hitting rock bottom, within a matter of moments. I've also noticed the game hitch up and pause for a second while in the midst of an intense firefight. This only happened twice during my two hour long play session, but it can and will happen.

Despite the litany of technical issues, I still found myself inexplicably drawn to the world of Soldier of Fortune. Perhaps it's the tight level design, satisfyingly gruesome gunplay, or the goofy, 80's action movie inspired machismo. I enjoyed my time playing Soldier of Fortune, even if I was grimacing over the technical issues. As lordnikon said over Jabber, the DC port of SoF has this homebrew vibe surrounding it. It isn't necessarily a poor port, but it does feel as though the developers simply brute forced the game to work on the Dreamcast.