MasterChief
rank 25
Posted:
Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 am
quote : #16
profile : pm
Morph wrote:
All vs. me, I prefer the blackbelt design for the sheer power in it

well... now that ive has some time to look into it i prefer the blackbelt design myself. ive read through these great threads on the subject:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776&highlight=blackbelt
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90&highlight=blackbelt

entire books could (and probably will) be written of what makes a console a success, but i developed a basic theory of my own:

first, we must remember games drive hardware. no more, no less. but first you must get the games there. and imho this can either be obtained by good corporate relations, price, market share, and last and probably least the hardware itself.

sega could have released it with a motorola 6809 and one mb of ram, but as long as they incorporated the first two elements in my theory, developers would have gone for it.

so in summation, i believe with the better hardware, they would have had a slight jump on the competition. this better hardware would have attracted more dev houses toward developing for it. and with those specs, i dont see it releasing at a 299 price point in 1999. furthermore, with their previous business decisions, i fear the remaining two factors of my equation may have been too daunting to achieve.

i must admit though, im a tad biased. i would like to have seen an american developed console be sega's last. which is probably why i prefer the xbox in this stage of console history. call it my version of half-ass patriotism. Wink

Now Playing: PS3 - Brutal Legend, 360 - Red Dead Redemption, Wii - MadWorld, DC - Dux