Topic: Future Dreamcast Release

Page 1 of 2
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:41 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
This is just a general idea question. We all know that the Dreamcast is getting sporadic releases from overseas. Would there be any way of creating a feature on here to have release dates, probability, price... I don't know. A future release section. For example, I saw that the game Last Hope is going to be released for the Dreamcast. What about homebrew releases? Now, this would be a strain on Nikon, but as a commmunity, if we could post information on a game, emulator, etc, along with viable proof, would this be a good feature for us gamers?

RickBB
rank 8
Posted:
Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:45 pm
quote : #2
It's a nice idea
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:57 pm
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
I can't setup a section in the website for that Stonefreeze. Unless they were online games...

This is an online community. The lounge is the only place where general Dreamcast Stuff is discussed.
Posted:
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:20 pm
quote : #4
What about games that have online rankings and such?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:38 pm
quote : #5
We already cover the available homebrew titles that have online rankings like Maqiupai and DC Squares. However, I will be looking at the homebrew scene with caution, as anyone could cram rankings into their game title. If it becomes too saturated with low budget tech demos with internet rankings I will cut back on what games actually would be on the online game list here.

As for new DC releases, there arn't any as far as I know of. The Dreamcast has no more scheduled releases in Japan, and there is just the upcoming GOAT games releases. Which, from what I have seen so far, are very unpolished. No where near the completed stage of titles like Feet of Fury, Cool Herders, Inhabitants, or Maqiupai.
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:07 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
Yeh from what seen of the "goat games compilation" the games really are very basic, they look just like a mini flash game you would play off a website. Hopefully the other actual games they will release will be better, can't wait for feet of fury 2 Smile
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now
Stonefreeze
unknown
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:13 am
quote : #7
Will last hope feature internet rankings?

SNK 47
unknown
Posted:
Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:07 am
quote : #8
The Goat Game compilation will feature online content/rankings etc.

The games so far do look simple, but at least they are REAL - unlike a lot of half-finished 'great ideas' floating around the DC scene Wink

Also simple games are quite often good and addictive. I'm not complaining about the simplicity of the games. Chu Chu, Sega Swirl, Mr Driller, Tetris - all good games.

I'd say give Goat Games a chance and some time. After all they ARE supporting the DC ! The reality is that games take time ! And with teams of two or three people working on games as opposed to 10-100 people on most commercial releases i feel those guys dedication should warrant more praise than anything else.

After all if anyone thinks they can do better, well go on then !

Dan Potters first game way before FOF was a version of Pong. You got to start somewhere. And real games are always preferable to bullshit ideas that never come to fruition ?

Not that i'm against dreamers of course. The DC scene would be very boring without them Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:56 pm
quote : #9
Yea but chu chu rocket, sega swirl, mr driller, and tetris are all games that have a polished look. They are complete.

Some of the games (not all of them) but some of them coming out by GOAT games are very very rough around the edges. People are too anxious to get something out just to say "I have an independant DC release out". What the need to do is hold back and put more time into making the games polished.

Both of these games could use some extra work: (bigtime)
http://www.goatstore.com/publishing/index.php?content=gg-copper-060710
http://www.goatstore.com/publishing/index.php?content=gg-dziokzit-060710

I sure hope these are just pre-alpha shots.

One of the biggest problems with Dreamcast Homebrew is that there are people who can program a game, but there arn't many artists involved. So the games function as a game should, but they look TERRIBLE.

I think the first 4 releases (Feet of Fury, Inhabitants, Maqiupai, and Cool Herders), all looked like complete packages. They looked just polished enough to be released. To me these titles are the benchmark, and any future titles launched by the homebrew community for commercial release need to be as good looking as these 4 titles or better.
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:00 pm
quote : #10
What the fungus is that second thing?
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:22 pm
quote : #11
The second thing made me laugh! It looks rather "unpolished", its a game where you have to clean zits off of a guys face so he can get a date Mr. Green !

I agree exactly with what nikon has said. These games should have more time spent on them, even most homebrew which isn't commercially released looks better than those screenshots.
I am looking forward to the "full game" releases from goat games, the compilation will be nice but the other 10 releases will be better. Especially FEET OF FURY 2!

As for Last Hope. I emailed the creators a few months back asking about the DC release. They said:

- it would cost around $35 (about £19/€26)
- it should be out by Q4 2006 (autumn/winter 06)
- they have been in contact with goatstore and lik-sang

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:17 pm
quote : #12
I am definately buying Last Hope. I also plan to buy Maqiupai, but have been procrastinating for a while now.

Feet of Fury 2 will most likely be very good (although I can't get this, as I am not into rhythm games).
Posted:
Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:09 am
quote : #13
I will most likely buy last hope (as long as it has difficulty settings as i am terrible at these kind of games)

I came into the DC scene way too late to be here for the release of the first 3 indy games. However i did get cool herders Smile .
From what I've seen and heard, feet of fury was definately the most "polished" game out of the first three indy releases.
So thats why im anticipating the second.
The first had keyboard support for "typing fury" or something, and was two player.
Hopefully they will have 4 player "typing fury" mode in this sequel, as i can pick up keyboard for £1 each lol.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 am
quote : #14
I pray that the Last Hope packaging is nice. I almost want them to have a full cover art design, similar to JP titles, rather than trying to incorporate a black crescent minus the Dreamcast logo, with the dev's logo instead. I think this looks cheesy and ugly.

Full cover artwork from the NEO release would look great on the DC release.

Also I would like it to come in a CD case, rather than a DVD case.
Posted:
Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:19 am
quote : #15
Yeh CD cases are much nicer than DVD cases.