Topic: Conflict Zone Controls

Page 1 of 1
Douggie
rank 7
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:31 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Flicking through my old magazines the other day, I found a review of Conflict Zone in the official Dreamcast Magazine. Although it gave it a score of 55%, which is pretty bad, I decided to invest in a copy at the massive expense of £7.00! Now, according to the review it does not support keyboard and mouse, which sounds strange, and elsewhere I have had conflicting reports. Can anyone clear this up for me?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:06 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Yea this game does not support a mouse and keyboard, which is pretty bizarre considering this is a real time strategy game. You have to use the controller. I hear they did all right with the control scheme on the controller, but still, this is an RTS game. They should have included kb and mouse support.

If you are looking for some RTS action on the DC, you are pretty much stuck playing conflict zone. There are some RTS games released in japan, but I don't know if any of them use the mouse and kb.
Posted:
Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:15 am
quote : #3
Don't think it did unfortunately. Or VGA.

Don't let that put you off the game. Write the controls down on a piece of paper in BIG letters Smile Put it in front of you whilst playing. It helped me a lot. Actually the pad is quite usable and doesn't take long to master. Not half as bad as you'd think.

Apart from Hundred Swords, which is in japanese anyway, there aren't too many Strategy games on DC.

A lot of reviewers will naturally compare it to PC titles and will be dissapointed-maybe it's simplicity counts against it. But as a console RTS it stands up pretty well. The graphics aren't too shabby either. It's all rendered in 3d and i liked the idea of winning popularity in a war - quite topical nowadays.

Hope you enjoy the game, keyboard or not.

Douggie
rank 7
Posted:
Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:06 am
quote : #4
Lol, thanks for the tip! According to the product description, it was originally going to have SegaNet support for 4 players, is this correct? Obviously, it didn't make it into the final game, though. I'm very much looking forward to playing it actually, if only because my DC is by my bed and so I can play RTS without getting up in the morning!

Is Gundam Battle Online an RTS? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere...

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:19 am
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
I bet conflict zone would have used gamespy had it been online.

As for Gundam Battle Online, that game is not an RTS but it is "strategy" based. Instead of controlling your robot, you press these action commands at the base of the screen, which will tell your robot what to do.
Posted:
Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:39 am
quote : #6
Well, i've played a bit of the campaign and some quite extensive skirmish games, and i really enjoy this game. It's actually a lot better than i'd anticipated, and the graphics are really quite nice for an RTS. The controls took a bit of getting used to, but thanks to SNK 47's tip it wasn't too bad. Cheers guys!

lozz
rank 41
Posted:
Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:52 pm
quote : #7
Type: PAL
I was put off by bad reviews for this game. But seeing how cheap DC games are now (and what people have sadi here) i might invest in a copy Mr. Green
What better time than now

All hell can't stop us now