Topic: Boot Disks

Page 1 of 1
killer-elite
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:23 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
I've heard throughout the forums that Utopia Boot disk is the disk loader to use when booting Foriegn Disks ( disks from other regions )But can it also Boot Burned Copys of games like a PAL Version or JP Verision of a game???

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:42 am
quote : #2
Type: NTSC-U/C
Well, most backups of games are setup to self boot. I would recommend not running backups if possible, because they tend to shorten the life expectancy of your Dreamcast. The laser gets stressed from reading the low quality discs.
Posted:
Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:00 am
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
Well, most backups of games are setup to self boot. I would recommend not running backups if possible, because they tend to shorten the life expectancy of your Dreamcast. The laser gets stressed from reading the low quality discs.

There are split opinions on that issue. Some people claim all games damage the lasers, while other claim only non-dummied games do. I recall reading somewhere that one game was faster in backup form, cause the crack group had to optimize it to fit on disc.

Edit: To answer the original question, backups are region free.
Posted:
Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:03 am
quote : #4
I had the same question quite a while ago about the wear and tear from backups. What I got is this analogy, maybe slightly off but you'll get the point.

Playing backups on your Dreamcast causes slight damage to the drive. A situation similar to this is a person who is near sighted (can't see far away) straining their eye's trying to make out a picture. Is playing backups on your Dreamcast bad? Well, without the ability, it would mean no emulators, no Propeller Arena or Half-Life, and no backups. Personally, I have not noticed any problems so far. I have had my Dreamcast for almost 2 years, and have yet to had problems. If you do experience problems, you can pick up a replacement Dreamcast for under 25 bucks. So really, it's not that bad. The damage is slight, but it will not destroy your drive. The same damage is done regardless of how many times a backup is used. Besides, everything is bound to break sooner or later.

maximus7001
rank 4
Posted:
Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm
quote : #5
Type: NTSC-U/C
There is a solution for this. Use black surfaced discs. I have experimented with this before and on a few dc's that had trouble reading backups. I just copied from regular cd-r to memorex black and problem solved.