1, 2  Next
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:16 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hey everyone, I thought I would share and show you guys the current status of my genesis / sega-cd / 32x shooter collection:

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Posted:
Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:15 pm
quote : #2
Awesome! You sure do like your shooters Laughing.

I'll have to look into Kolibri since I haven't been getting too much use out of my 32x. I can't seem to find many screenshots of it. Is it any good?

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:43 pm
quote : #3
It's only the worlds greatest hummingbird shooter. Cool

The gameplay is free roaming, rather than scrolling in a single direction. The artwork is fantastic, and the gameplay is fun. It doesn't take a shooter master to play this game. There are no enemy patterns to master. The enemies fly around and attack in a random fashion.

I really like Kolibri, and when I booted it up for the first time, I was playing it for a good 2 hours. It is a solid game.

And yes I do love shooters. My collection in total is at or around 77 shooters across all platforms. I have another genesis shooter on the way. A pretty rare one. I will post pics when it arrives :]
Posted:
Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 pm
quote : #4
Nice collection you got going there Nikon Cool

Gforce
rank 8
Posted:
Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:44 pm
quote : #5
Ahhh no Gaiares in your collection??? Dope game right there But blah,I hate how for the majority of the shooters I own I dont have the boxes for em,...shit much less any of em.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:19 am
quote : #6
No Gaiares yet. A complete version of this game is not cheap, nor easy to track down. Most of what is out there is just the cart.

The games I am currently missing are some of the rarer ones. Games like Herzog Zwei and Keio Flying Squadron are going to cost me a lot of money. Especially Keio, which is rarer than any of the genesis titles.

I own just the cart for M.U.S.H.A. and that alone ran me $35.00. To find a complete version of the game will cost me about 60 dollars.
Posted:
Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:13 am
quote : #7
Herzog 2 - is that realy a shooter? I know that title is a strategy game!? Correct me if Im wrong. ABout Keio from what I know this game is only avaible as a cd version?
Posted:
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:02 am
quote : #8
Herzog Zwei is considered a shooter. The game is a hybrid featuring shooter and real time strategy elements.

Keio Flying Squadron is on the sega cd yes. When I started this thread I had it as genesis shooter collection, because usually 32X and Sega CD get lumped in when presenting collections such as this. I changed the topic title so it is clearer. Wink
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 am
quote : #9
lordnikon wrote:
No Gaiares yet. A complete version of this game is not cheap, nor easy to track down. Most of what is out there is just the cart.
one on ebay right now, complete with case and manual. buy it now for $23.05 plus s&h
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 pm
quote : #10
The image above is now super outdated Wink I actually acquired Gaiares quit sometime ago. I need to add updated picture of my collection. Here is what I currently have in list format. The items hi-lited in orange I only own the carts for and still need to acquire complete versions. MUSHA is going to be the most costly to this for. Of all video game genres, the shooter is my favorte, and I spent quite sometime tracking all of these games down. I love the genesis, and prefer classic carts above all disc based mediums. With the Genesis having such an enormous library of shooters, it is a collection I am very proud of. I have these all on display lined on a shelf for easy accessibility.

Shmups I currently own:

GEN - Airbuster
GEN - Arrow Flash
GEN - Bio-Hazard Battle
GEN - Elemental Master
GEN - Fire Shark
GEN - Gaiares
GEN - Grind Stormer
GEN - Lightening Force
GEN - M.U.S.H.A.
GEN - Phelios
GEN - Raiden Trad (cover variant 1)
GEN - Raiden Trad (cover variant 2)
GEN - Sagaia
GEN - Steel Empire
GEN - Task Force Harrier EX
GEN - Truxton
GEN - Twin Cobra
GEN - Thunder Force II
GEN - Thunder Force III
GEN - Trouble Shooter
GEN - Vapor Trail
GEN - Viewpoint
GEN - Whip Rush
GEN - Wings of Wor

SCD - Android Assault
SCD - Robo Aleste
SCD - Silpheed
SCD - Sol-Feace

32X - Kolibri

The games I still need to buy are:

GEN - Atomic Robo-Kid
GEN - Battle Squadron
GEN - Hellfire
GEN - Insector X
GEN - Sol-Deace
GEN - The Gadget Twins
SCD - Lords of Thunder
SCD - KEIO Flying Squadron
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm
quote : #11
You try Airbuster? Pretty much the only shooter outside of Gaiares I played on the Sega.

*Edit*

Woops, I just read your updated list. New question then. What did you think of Air Buster? I thought it was a mad fun game.

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:35 pm
quote : #12
Gforce wrote:
What did you think of Air Buster? I thought it was a mad fun game.

Air Buster is pretty awesome. I love the soundtrack. One of my favorite features is how the powerups get dispersed all over the screen and you have to scramble to pick them up. Enemy position and oncoming bullets can get in the way, so in many instances you have to risk death to try and sneak in and get ship upgrades.

I also like this game... "Because the action is fast and furious. And the game is hot!"

I have never actually seen one of those gloves in the wild, on ebay, or anywhere else. I wonder if they even sent them out.

grubensau wrote:
Herzog 2 - is that realy a shooter? I know that title is a strategy game!? Correct me if Im wrong.

lordnikon wrote:
Herzog Zwei is considered a shooter. The game is a hybrid featuring shooter and real time strategy elements.

To clarrify here, grub you were actually correct. Back in 2006 when I made the above reply, I had not spent enough time with Herzog Zwei. All I had seen was some random videos on youtube, and screenshots. After recently acquiring the game this past fall, it would indeed be classified as a Real Time Strategy game. The flying around and shooting is reminiscent to the overhead gameplay in ThunderForce II... however at its core the game is indeed an RTS. Sorry for the confusion on this, and I conceed that I was indeed wrong.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 pm
quote : #13
that glove is an odd promotion. i wonder if any of them can be found today?
Posted:
Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm
quote : #14
lordnikon wrote:
Gforce wrote:
What did you think of Air Buster? I thought it was a mad fun game.

Air Buster is pretty awesome. I love the soundtrack. One of my favorite features is how the powerups get dispersed all over the screen and you have to scramble to pick them up. Enemy position and oncoming bullets can get in the way, so in many instances you have to risk death to try and sneak in and get ship upgrades.

I also like this game... "Because the action is fast and furious. And the game is hot!"

I have never actually seen one of those gloves in the wild, on ebay, or anywhere else. I wonder if they even sent them out.

Word! That soundtrack was nice on this game. My mom got me this game from a thrift store a lonnnng time ago and I've had it since. Unfortunately, it's just as difficult as ever to get the cartridge working right though Neutral .

I loved the 8-way shot pickup the most!

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm
quote : #15
i just picked up Kolibri and Cosmic Carnage for my 32x. i have not had a chance to play either one for more than a few minutes to test them. my first impression of Kolibri is that it looks nice. I'm not sure what to do in it yet, but its a game that i could play more. CC on the other hand is looking pretty bad.

i got a few other gaming items while i was out today. i will have to test it all out and research a few of the other 32x games the shop had. so it is going to be a little while before i can give Kolibri a real gaming session.