Page 1 of 1
Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:28 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Aesthetically, the Menacer is a seemingly haphazard culmination of ideas. I really like the ability to break it down and use it different ways, but compared to the steamlined look of the Super Scope, it's just too big and doesn't make much sense from a design standpoint. You have what looks like a pair of binoculars on top and the gun itself is like someone fused the front part of the Super Scope to a crossbow stock.

If my judgement was based entirely on accuracy, I'd be forced to deadlock. They're both extrememly accurate, though the Menacer does get an extra point for its feature built into games that alerts you when the unit is in poor lighting conditions and / or is low on power; but then again, it loses a point since the battery issue is primarily caused by the absence of a power button (which the SS has). I can't figure that one out, especially given the fact that to remove the batteries, you have to completely disassemble the scope / stock.

Game-wise, if you were buying the Menacer for the Genesis, you would be fairly disappointed as it only had about two games (about five were for the Sega CD) compared to the SNES's eleven(!).

What are your thoughts on the Menacer? I still haven't been able to play through T2 yet as I always get the "check lighting" warning. I think it may just be low batteries, though.

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:00 am
quote : #2
Could you post a pic of the SS - because I dont know the differents - my menacer has this superscopes - so Im a bit confused. About T2 - I have spent months and alot of money in the arcades 2 beat that game. The 3. level (U have 2 save the truck) is a horror - it needs some luck 2 go through. Right now Im able 2 play the game with the menacer at home and I realy like it! Im not disapointed that there are only 3 games (1x cd game) avaible 2 play with it. I mean look at the dc - it also doesnt have that much gun games.
Posted:
Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:51 am
quote : #3
Type: NTSC-U/C
Here's a picture I found: link. I'll try to take a side-by-side picture of both the Menacer and the Super Scope so you can see size differences / aesthetics.

Also, "Super Scope" is the name of the gun. Both the Menacer and the Super Scope have "scopes" (Menacer has 2 while Super Scope only has 1.).

That's a good point you bring up about the Dreamcast. It had a fair amount, though (Virtua Cop 2, House of the Dead 2, Death Crimson OX and 2, Confidential Mission, and Demolition Racer (mini game)). One plus the DC lightgun has is that it can also be used to play the older Genesis / SNES lightgun games through emulation. Very Happy

grubensau
rank 40
Posted:
Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:53 am
quote : #4
Ty for the link. I never knew this gun was avaible (SS). In my personal view the menacer looks a bit better Razz
The fact you can use your dc gun for emus is good - but the problem with any emu is: its never that good like the original game.